Gallatin has ineligible players?

GWAVE1

Thats right folks. Gallatin now stands at 1-7 instead of 7-1.

I have just been informed that Gallatin has been turned into the TSSAA for using,what they call, an ineligible player. Therefore having to forfiet 6 of their wins and any shot at the Region championship.

Violation of Article II Sec. 18 to be exact. Well here is the story as it has been told to me. Kyle Shipley, backup QB and a starting reciever for the Wave used to play for McGavock. He moved up here with his mom and is living with his grandmother. Gallatin submitted transfer documents to see if he was eligible. The TSSAA sent a letter stating that he was eligible since he had a change of address. Gallatin then took a precaution and held him out a couple of weeks just in case. Gallatin then recieved a second verification that he was eligible. Shipley played in every game since. (I question the Springfield game because he did not play I didn't think) Everything is supposedly OK. Well low and behold here comes former team McGavock. Gallatin beats them 56-6. Now I already told ya'll that they were not happy about the score thinking that we ran up the score. Note: it was 46-6 at half with subs playing. Well the coaching staff finds out that Shipley's parents have only seperated not divorced. Even though there is a change in address Article II Sec.18 remains in effect. Gallatin was notified last Friday of the impending disaster. Shipley was held out of that game. (you know I did not notice until this came to light....I mean we pass so much) Come to find out that today the TSSAA nullified their 2 letters and said that we were in violation. Hence Gallatin 1-7 because the win against Hendersonville will still stand. Now I ask you...is that fair? The Gallatin coaches did everything that they were supposed to do and even took extra precautions. Is it the coaches responsibility to pry into the private lives of the kids parents? Is it Gallatin's fault or the TSSAA's? Read the Article and the bottom note in the section. The Executive Director has the discretion when it comes to eligibility. We recieved the OK from him. Now we are made to suffer from their mistake. Not too mention this poor kid who just wanted to play football. Kyle Shipley seems to be a good kid. This is not his fault...he is not to blame. But I know he fills awful especially moving to a new town and making new friends and then have this happen.

The Green Wave football team is having an emergency meeting tonight to discuss the problem. Lawyers are already in the know and an appeal has been made to the TSSAA. We will know for sure later in the week.

Well , what about the playoffs? Gallatin can still get in if this holds up. They have to beat Hunters Lane and Beech. And Beech must beat Glencliff this week. Actually I have not figured it all out but that is my first guess. Nothing like this has ever happened to Gallatin...how will we respond?

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW

If this holds up, it's a travesty - but not a death sentence to the Wave.

If they win out and make the playoffs, would they go in as a number 4 seed?

Week 1 of the playoffs will make for an intresting game - pitting number 1 Region 6 against number 4 (but the best of region 5).

Good luck with your appeal!

Oh my! Make that three high-profile high school sports teams now in about as many weeks...

I for one hope either 1) the rulling doesn't stand or 2) Gallatin doesn't make the playoffs (that's a compliment to GHS, actually). I'd hate for FHS to have to host them in the first round... please say it isn't so!

I was wondering when one of you guys was gonna post this news. I found out about 7:00, but I didn't want to be the first to post. I blame the TSSAA 100% for this issue. They ruled him as eligible, and if they wouldn't have, there is no way he would have ever played for the team. I may disagree with some of the coaching staff's on-field decisions, but they would never be stupid enough to do something like that. It'll be interesting to see how the TSSAA handles their mistake. They'll have some lame excuse I'm sure.

Hey squosh, if this holds up. McGavock better forfeit next year or they will think running up the score!!!! Gallatin has too much class to do that. I was at that game and second and third teamers played the majority. We did not even start some of the underclassmen just for seniors homecoming.

Our main focus is to keep some faith...maybe it will get ruled our way. But I doubt it. Somebody's got take the blame and it is a lot easier for Gallatin too then Ronnie Carter and the TSSAA.

Beat Hunters Lane and Beech....and come on playoffs.

An ANGRY Gallatin is a bad Gallatin. And this year we can put some points on the board. We are not out ....just fazed a little.

Remember 1989---FACTOR THIS!!

Guest region4fan

This is indeed awful! Did Gallatin tell the TSSAA that the kids parents were divorced? I am still not quite understanding............ I am assuming that Mcgavok turned it in? I can't understand how there are kids that actually live in Lavergne, but play football for Smyrna and for Blackman . How does the TSSAA approve that kind of thing?

Sorry to hear the bad news squoshwave17. The T$$AA are a bunch of Indian Givers. I hope Gallatin appeals this ruling. It's terrible to be almost through the season and have something like this happen. I heard the news from my daughter by the way. Hang in there Gallatin

The divorce issue was not an issue at all until McGavock brought it up a few weeks ago. In the beginning of the season, There was no need to go into it. Gallatin had no idea, Schipley had no idea, and truthfully, I don't think the TSSAA has any idea. And to anyone who reads this from Cookeville or Hendersonville, you have my personal permission to do whatever it takes to kill McGavock.

No to my understanding no inquires were made into the private affairs of the family. That is the issue. Who's job is it? Look at the forms for eligibility on the TSSAA web site. Do you see any question about divorce? I don't. Living with a parent or guardian is all that is asked. And he does.

I can not even try to formulate any playoff possibilities....way to many variables. All I know is win out and hope for the best.