Gallatin has ineligible players?

GWAVE1

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What some don't understand and fail to continue to understand is that just because the TSSAA clears a kid to play on paper, it doesn't mean he is following the rules or eligible to play. If some facts of a case are left out, then their ruling can change. here's an example:

Let's say I have a kid who tells me he lives with his dad a few blocks from my school. I fill out the report based on what he has told me. To verify his address, I call the school office and it appears to be the same address he reported to the school when he transferred in from the next county over. The TSSAA approves him based on the information I submitted. Then we play the school where he transferred from and his former teammates tell their coach they see him almost everyday at his mothers house four blocks from their school. They play video games together after school and he still hangs out at all of the same places he did before. Now the coach at that school gets suspicious and checks it out. He thinks there might be something "fishy" about it so he reports it to the TSSAA. They investigate and determine that the kid in fact does live at both houses (i.e. dual residence) and they rule he is ineligible, resending their previous authorization for him to play.

I think what some of you are HUNG UP ON is the authorization for him to play. This does not mean he is eligible, it simply means they have received the paperwork and it appears there are no problems. Some things you must understand. THE TSSAA DOES NOT HAVE MAPS OR ADDRESSES OF ANY CITY OR COUNTY ZONES! They rely on each school to self regulate their own kids! THE ONLY TIME THEY QUESTION THINGS IS WHEN SOMEONE REPORTS ANOTHER SCHOOL! They don't have enough employees to go out and investigate everyone! The way you guys talk makes it sound like the first two paper authorizations involved a court appearance and an investigation (THIS IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE). The only investigation that was made came AFTER the Metro coach reported them to the TSSAA, so that was the one and only ruling on the matter, other than the appeal.

AGAIN... I have no dog in this fight so I can look at it from an objective viewpoint. Maybe the Shipley family didn't get a fair hearing, that still doesn't change the fact that the TSSAA has the right to rule anyway they like based on the rules of the organization.

From the Gallatin News Examiner:

Attorneys for the Gallatin High School football player ruled ineligible by the TSSAA costing the school’s football team five wins and a trip to the playoffs have filed a lawsuit in U.S. Middle District Court in Nashville stating the player’s rights were violated.

The suit filed today (Wednesday), which also asked for a temporary restraining order, sought to have the player made immediately eligible, restoring the team’s five wins which were forfeited last week.

In a hearing yesterday, the player lost his reinstatement request and the school’s winning game record was not reinstated.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of the player and his mother and alleges his procedural due process rights were violated.

The TSSAA ruled the player ineligible on Oct. 22, but school officials appealed that ruling. After a hearing on Oct. 30, the governing body for high school athletics denied the appeal.

merged

Edited by robjim

What some don't understand...

First of all, step down from your lofty pedestal...

Second of all, I'm from Memphis, ELA. I have no hidden agenda in this thing. I am completely neutral; however, I see this issue for what's it's worth. And the ties that most people on this board claim that you have with the TSSAA make me more neutral than you. ELA, you can't go around in life making hasty generalizations about everything. You often will infuriate reasonable people and throw yourself out on the limb of stupidity.

Third, from the appearance of the posting sequence, no one is still fighting about this incident: EXCEPT YOU. In the last ten or more posts, have people been arguing? No.

Fourth, read all of my post, before you jump in to assert dominance. I am not going to keep reasoning with you, because we are all tired of it and I have already proven Gallatin's point. In fact, most people on here agree that TSSAA has committed an error here, although some don't think Gallatin should be allowed into the playoffs this late in the process. Why you can't see this amazes me....

I have generally respected you on these boards, but your attitude, hasty generalizations, and continuing to argue about it after everyone doesn't care why anymore has severely degraded my respect for you.

And take off your CAPS lock. No one likes a yeller...

Tough break for Gallatin, but not entirely unexpected. At least it clears up who is supposed to play whom and where for Region 6. Big question now is to Gallatin, since you've been practicing all week, you have used up a portion of your 15 days to get 10 practices in for Spring, according to TSSAA rules.

What some don't understand...

First of all, step down from your lofty pedestal...

Second of all, I'm from Memphis, ELA. I have no hidden agenda in this thing. I am completely neutral; however, I see this issue for what's it's worth. And the ties that most people on this board claim that you have with the TSSAA make me more neutral than you. ELA, you can't go around in life making hasty generalizations about everything. You often will infuriate reasonable people and throw yourself out on the limb of stupidity.

Third, from the appearance of the posting sequence, no one is still fighting about this incident: EXCEPT YOU. In the last ten or more posts, have people been arguing? No.

Fourth, read all of my post, before you jump in to assert dominance. I am not going to keep reasoning with you, because we are all tired of it and I have already proven Gallatin's point. In fact, most people on here agree that TSSAA has committed an error here, although some don't think Gallatin should be allowed into the playoffs this late in the process. Why you can't see this amazes me....

I have generally respected you on these boards, but your attitude, hasty generalizations, and continuing to argue about it after everyone doesn't care why anymore has severely degraded my respect for you.

And take off your CAPS lock. No one likes a yeller...

I'm sorry that I offended you or anyone else... that was not my intention. I guess I see a lot of things as being more "black and white." Maybe this is a grey issue, something that falls in between the cracks, but until the rules are changed, or until the process is changed... this is what we must live with. Maybe it is time for a change, but it can't be made during the season. I would welcome any reform of the TSSAA and I have openly advocated some changes (i.e. public/private). I do jump on my soap box from time to time and this is one of those issues that bugs me. The rules are spelled out for everyone to read and this seems to be a simple infraction of the rules. As I have said before.... this could happen to any school and it won't be the last time it happens. If we don't like a rule, we can change it, but we have to play by the rules. Having said that, this is my last post on the Gallatin issue. I wish them well in the future!

ELA,

AMEN!! I have stated in a few posts exactly what you continue to say. AGAIN, I'm quites sure Gallatin did nothing wrong. They only reported the facts that they were given by the boy and his parents. And they gave Gallatin WRONG information. We as coaches have to take each transfer, as well as each person who we find out has moved anywhere, and investigate it fully. As I said earlier, unless we get certain information (phone bill / electrical bill with parent(s) name on them), we don't list them as eligilbe.

All school personnel should be more careful and do some additional investigating on transferrs! This is what the message should be!! :D

Do the player and his mother live in Gallatin?

If so, he was ruled eligible and the TSSAA is wrong.

If not, Gallatin was lied to and filed false information even though they thought it was true.

Until we know the answer to that question NONE OF US really know.

Now, you guys said for Gallatin to take it to court if we were wronged. If the court had ruled that Gallatin's wins were restored and subsequently in the playoffs then that is just as valid as ELA's "TSSAA is just enforcing the rules", even if it was five minutes before the first kickoff.

Why can't we all just get along.

Next year you can go back to hating the GreenWave just because we keep winning.

well guys looks like its about time to close this thread down. the only point of the law suits now is to change the rules for upcoming years. everything for this year is over and done with and there is no use talking about it anymore. heck by next week we wont even have lockers anymore......everything will just be another memory. but even though my last year didnt work out too well (thanks for nothing tssaa) i will still cherish my time as a high school football player at gallatin high school. for those of you who have played for gallatin you know there is nothing like running out into the pit on friday nights. its kinda fun to think back on all the memories from our four years (chris hall relays, scalded dogs, camp ROW, the brentwood game, smyrna last year, and just all the fun times joking around at practice and in the locker room) no mater what the tssaa does they cant take away our green wave pride. i want to thank all of our coaches and fans who have made the experience of playing for gallatin the best time of my life.

Edited by gwave604