Cleveland/Rhea Co. fight

sly

Hey boyz!

That is devastating to both programs, but probably more so to Rhea County. It doesn't matter, Rhea County was going home a loser on Friday night anyway.

However, I can promise you this...if a player from MHS were to be involved in something like this...you can bet they would probably be suspended for at least two games if not more.

The adults involved in the altercation should be banned permanently. Sports are for enriching the academic programs at their respective schools. For adults to be involved is inexcusable.

I feel the administration and athletic directors are to be commended for their efforts in handling this situation.

Sorry I got on my soapbox again...that's twice in one day. My husband probably won't let me get on here for another week!

Love you boyz!

B)

P.S. $1,000 is a pretty stiff fine for both schools to take.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

News channel 3 in Chattanooga reported that both schools are on 1 year probation, each had 2 players suspended for 1 game, each school was fined $1,000. So Cleveland got just as much punishment as Rhea did. For those I've talked with from both programs admit it could have been and should have been even worse for both schools.

A $1,000.00 dollar fine is pretty steep. Also, the year's probation is not a weak slap on the wrist. That means if any other fights break out an athletic event then that school will lose its whole sports program for a year. That in itself is steep as well. So that means us coaches at Cleveland have to be on our best behavior for what happened during the football season. I for one don't think that this is fair at all. The entire athletic has been put on probation. So one slip up by another sport and its bye-bye for a year....To me personally I feel that this is not right at all. Football should be the one's on probation but TSSAA doesn't see it that way. See this all boils down to the incident that occurred last year at the State Wrestling tournament. :ph34r:

Channel 9 reported that ALL SPORTS PROGRAMS AT BOTH SCHOOLS are now on probation! Any more violence from either schools could bring very stiff penalties. The fines are superficial, but the probation is series business. Good luck to both schools on Friday. I think the Tyner problems are going to overshadow this little fight!

what happened at the state wrestling tounament? No names, just a brief report

One of the most embarrassing displays of lack of sportmanship aided and abetted by a parent. However the kid did set the McKenzie Arena and wrestling tournament records for drop kicking a wrestling scoreboard. The former record established by a Kirby heavyweight at Maclellan Gym was formidable and thought, like Bob Beamon's record, to be insurmountable.

Hey boyz!

$1,000 might be superficial to you, but I guarantee it could really hurt some football programs. Probably not those two programs, but definitely some programs.

The point was made that they are double dipping at the TSSAA which I concur with. The TSSAA is a joke...however, that is another thread.

The whole athletic program should not be on probation, just the football teams. However, neither school should have any problems from now on. Meet with your athletes and parents. Have them sign a "Code of Conduct"...both the student and the parent.

If the student/parent can't abide by the rules or conduct themselves with some sort of decorum...then dismiss them. Maybe warn them first but don't cut them very much slack.

I guarantee you that if you asked the coaches, they could have predicted this type of behavior. This is not an incident that just randomly happened. If it did...I apologize...however, I bet it did not and I bet the coaches from both schools are saying..."I told you so!"

One of the main reasons I get on here, is to help you men realize that it is just a sport. The real game and challenge is the game of life...just ask Chuck Prugh or Ryan Headrick!

Three times on my soapbox...maybe a record! I have to go get my husband a beer and rub his feet. He is so demanding!

Love you boyz!

:D

Channel 9 reported that ALL SPORTS PROGRAMS AT BOTH SCHOOLS are now on probation! Any more violence from either schools could bring very stiff penalties. The fines are superficial, but the probation is series business. Good luck to both schools on Friday. I think the Tyner problems are going to overshadow this little fight!

Everyone would love to see a problem at Tyner, but fortunately the team has no problem. Just let everyone keep talking.

I am glad the TSSAA took some action, but I think $1000.00 and a one game suspension for players involved is just a slap on the wrist. I mean what does "The whole athletic program is on one year probation". Mean in common man words? Does this mean an unsportsmanlike-like call during a ball game violate the probation? Then what happens?

It is unfair for the whole school to be put on probation I think, it is a football team issue.

I think these kids (Thugs) should be suspended from all athletics for the school year. If coaches are involved they should also be suspended and reprimanded. If fans got involved charges should be referred for trespassing. This is a soft slap to kids who are out of control and a kick in the face of kids who know how to act and comply with the rules. What a sad commentary indeed!

I agree Emeritus. The $1000 is a light slap on the wrist. And it is not fair for the entire athletic program to be penalized. They should have done more. And what is the deal with the probation. In the Chattanoogan article, it states that both schools will still be allowed to compete in regular season and tournament play. I really think that the football teams should have been penalized more severely, and the other teams should have been left alone. After all what did the girls basketball team have to do with it?