Cleveland/Rhea Co. fight

sly

What I don't agree with is the fact that people are lableing Cleveland as a bunch of 'thugs". And to state that maybe this will allow the coaches to get a better hand on their sports programs? How many instances have you ever heard of Cleveland being involved in? Not very many. So don't try to label this one incident as to Cleveland being "thugs". I disagree with the comment. Do you think Al Miller the head wrestling coach at Cleveland would put up with something like this? No, if one of his wrestlers doesn't exemplify good sportsmanship then he is in their face "chewing them out". We stand behind our coaches 100% and back them whenever we have an issue. But don't label the kids at Cleveland High School as a bunch of "thugs". Obviously, people are not happy with the penalty that was given to both Cleveland and Rhea Co. but the reason, as I stated earlier, that the penalty wasn't more severe was the fact that how both schools officials handled the situation. They handled it in a mature adult manner. There wasn't a bunch of finger pointing like in earlier cases before. Neither school's official got on the media and blamed the other. No, both schools are very upset that this has taken place. Alas, the coaches that were involved in this matter have also been disciplined as well. I agree with you CHSpanther, it seems as time goes on that more schools maybe willing to ensinuate a fight against Cleveland.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody seems to want to admit that the "root cause" of this whole incident was the actions of three Cleveland players who engaged in "taunting" after the game ended. This is not the first time the Cleveland team has engaged in this behavior, as reported by other opponents. Sure, the atmosphere was highly charged, but if the actions of these three had not occurred, the whole incident would not have happened.

Definition of taunting: After the game is over, and your team has won, go to the opposing sideline in front of the bench, wave your arms around, point to the scoreboard, mouth off to the opposing players, coaches, and fans, all while your team-mates are forming a line to shake hands with the other team. (Since this has apparently occurred at the end of at least two other games, I must assume that the Cleveland coaching staff encourages this behavior. - and did this really happen? It's all on tape fans! - and this may be a clue to why one party was so eager to settle the issue!)

So, Cleveland fans, encourage your coaching staff to stop this unsportsmanlike conduct. In the future, let's stick to hard-nosed football, and forget about the show-boating.

whiskers you dont know what yur talking about, clevelands players got happy after the game, but they also knew some of rheas players personally (and were good friends), thats why they went over there, not the smartest thing in the world to do, but they werent trying to start anything, everything was started the whole game on the field. i think a lot of people think the penalty wasnt harsh enough simply because there is now still a good chance they will have to face cleveland. i know that if was thier team they would be the same way i am about this, while a couple people made a mistake that shouldnt ban the whole team from the playoffs, and like xander was sayin, this isnt routine for cleveland football. while im not sure i agree with the whole probation thing, it really can be a good thing for the program, coaches will simply have to instill more discipline, whether its neccessary or not, some of the best athletic programs are the best for that reason. instead of focusing on being cocky, players can concentrate on winning.

whiskers you dont know what yur talking about, clevelands players got happy after the game, but they also knew some of rheas players personally (and were good friends), thats why they went over there, not the smartest thing in the world to do, but they werent trying to start anything

Well, I think if you got to see the tape, you would agree that the actions of the three Cleveland players were not the smartest. And, as I've heard a lot of players, fans, and some coaches say, they perceived their actions as taunting. I'm sure the players would not have done this if they knew there was going to be a fight. Cooper was really upset by the whole thing and I feel bad for him. Heck, I feel bad for all involved. I do think the actions of the TSSAA were fair. I do wish the Cleveland coaching staff the very best and continued success. Now that both teams seasons are over......let's get on with roundball....

• 13 years later...