Cleveland/Rhea Co. fight

sly

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok what they did was wrong, they got punished, meritus, im sure you have never lost yur cool, or ever done anything wrong, the entire program at the schools are on probation, i think everyone was critical of this situation pre-decision, now that action has been taken, you guys need to do a little growing up of your own and learn one of lives many virtues, forgive, oh ya and of course forget.

Hey boyz!

I am still not believing me and emeritus are agreeing on some of this stuff. While group punishment is very effective because the good athletes/participants bring the overall behavior up a notch. It is the most unfair of all consequences because it does not address the problem.

It is a quick and easy fix and not a solution to reprehensible behavior by 2% of all involved. Like I said before the coaches could have predicted behavior like this, I am sure.

The TSSAA needs to punish the parties involved and issue a warning to the schools. I guess in effect that is what they did. However, one technical in the girls basketball game should not result in the death penalty for the girls basketball program.

The TSSAA has problems and I am thinking about starting my own High School Association.

At least that is what people have told me in the past!

Tyner definitely has problems and we will have to see if any penalities are assessed by the TSSAA.

Love you boyz!

:unsure:

Edited by robjim

Guys remember this is high school football and hence the $1,000 fine. This is not the NFL where you can suspend someone for a game and collect almost half a million bucks. I think it is normal for an entire athletic program to be put on probation. It goes with the territory. That is why there are athletic directors who are responsible for the control of the program. And when things like this happen the entire program suffers. It is the adults that were involved that i have the most problem. I am not going to criticize or start calling names to a kid who has made a mistake. I have kids of my own. They just need to be shown the error of their ways and given a chance to improve.

How can you say that $1,000.00 dollar fine isn't steep and your entire athletic program being put on probation isn't a slap on the wrist. That means if one thing happens then our entire athletic program is lost for a year....Even to the innocent programs. But to say that coaches knew something like this would happen that is totally outrageous. I guess they need to call Miss Cleo's psychic hotline on that one. The coaches knew nothing like that was going to happen. Can it happen? At any given moment things like that can happen. I am a coach at Cleveland and I take that as a "slap in the face" when you say that we knew that it was going to happen. We had no clue. Have the coaches been repimended for their violations on this issue? Yes, they have. The only reason why the more severe penalty didn't occur was the fact that both school officials and athletic directors met right after the incident. They met Friday night after the brawl. Watched the tape. They met Saturday morning watched the tape again with TSSAA officials. The principles spoke numerous times on Sunday and Monday via phone. So the reason that Cleveland and Rhea Co. were not hit with a more severe punishment was how they conducted themselves. I don't agree that all the sports at Cleveland and Rhea Co. should be put on probation. But that is the way it has to be. But like I said previously, the reason why the TSSAA is tightening it's "noose" on this behavior is the fact that an incident occurred at the State Wrestling tournament. A kid basically acted irrationally after losing a match and decided to shove his opponent as well as the official. He then proceeded to kick a chair and then kick a scoreboard into the stands. Now did the wrestling coach know that was going to happen? No, he didn't. You can never pre-judge somebody's emotions. It's just not possible. L8er!!!!

How can you say that $1,000.00 dollar fine isn't steep and your entire athletic program being put on probation isn't a slap on the wrist. That means if one thing happens then our entire athletic program is lost for a year....Even to the innocent programs. But to say that coaches knew something like this would happen that is totally outrageous. I guess they need to call Miss Cleo's psychic hotline on that one. The coaches knew nothing like that was going to happen. Can it happen? At any given moment things like that can happen. I am a coach at Cleveland and I take that as a "slap in the face" when you say that we knew that it was going to happen. We had no clue. Have the coaches been repimended for their violations on this issue? Yes, they have. The only reason why the more severe penalty didn't occur was the fact that both school officials and athletic directors met right after the incident. They met Friday night after the brawl. Watched the tape. They met Saturday morning watched the tape again with TSSAA officials. The principles spoke numerous times on Sunday and Monday via phone. So the reason that Cleveland and Rhea Co. were not hit with a more severe punishment was how they conducted themselves. I don't agree that all the sports at Cleveland and Rhea Co. should be put on probation. But that is the way it has to be. But like I said previously, the reason why the TSSAA is tightening it's "noose" on this behavior is the fact that an incident occurred at the State Wrestling tournament. A kid basically acted irrationally after losing a match and decided to shove his opponent as well as the official. He then proceeded to kick a chair and then kick a scoreboard into the stands. Now did the wrestling coach know that was going to happen? No, he didn't. You can never pre-judge somebody's emotions. It's just not possible. L8er!!!!

For the record, I think the fines and TSSAA and school actions are correct. The fine can be overcome, the true penalty here is the PROBATION.

NO COACH WANTS TO SEE THIS SORT OF THING HAPPEN! It is foolish for anyone to say or think that coaches would allow a fight to break out because there would be no purpose or gain! Both teams were in the playoffs and the only other outcome for Rhea would have been a home game for the first round. This was just a case of frustration on the part of some players and fans and coaches got caught in the middle. The action was appropriate and the only other thing they could have done is to have suspended both teams from the playoffs.

Again... good luck to both teams on Friday!

I have a kid that plays on the Cleveland football team and he also plays baseball. I think probation for all the sport teams is a little severe. Other schools know of this probation. My opinion is that Cleveland and Rhea Co. will be baited more often than in the past. Talking will occur, but now they have a little incentive to do more than the normal mind games that go on to get into a players head. They know if a player retaliates in any way, shape or form the schools could be and probably will be suspended from post season play. Some teams would send 1 player out to start a fight like in hockey to get rid of the team’s best player for a 5 minute major.

All I can say is that Cleveland and Rhea Co. keep cool heads and some common sense and play your game. Not everybody else’s.

Good Luck in the play-offs.

Bad sportsmanship should be controlled by the school. If a school allows it to happen in one sport it will likely happen in another. I have no opinion on how strong the fine is but I know if both schools make it through the probation period they will have a more diciplined program. It might be a plus for both schools after one year.

Sad, situation reguardless.

Edited by DeeOne

Wow! Probation for all sports is a little bit much. If anyone has ever attended a CHS basketball game you know it is just a matter of time before the TSSAA is talking with CHS again about some sort of improper behavior either by the players, coaches or fans. CHSPanther, you just may be right about other teams baiting the Raiders in the future how they deal with it will be interesting. Now is the time for the coaches at CHS to get control of their programs and put an end to all the trash talking their athletes do or there will be more penaltys. Good Luck and Be Good!

I said that their isn't a problem with the team. You shouldn't draw conclusions until you know exactly what is going on.

I think what he's trying to say is that the whole team wasn't responsible for the actions of a few. Since none of us know all of the facts, we should wait and see for ourselves what really happened! If anything good comes our of these two events it will be that coaches from all across the state will discuss these matters with their kids and try to prevent these terrible things from happening in their programs!

I think what he's trying to say is that the whole team wasn't responsible for the actions of a few. Since none of us know all of the facts, we should wait and see for ourselves what really happened! If anything good comes our of these two events it will be that coaches from all across the state will discuss these matters with their kids and try to prevent these terrible things from happening in their programs!

I agree and that was my main point, Why punish the other FB players and the schools girls softball team? I agree Sue and I don't agree to often but on this your throwing the baby out with the bath water! The TSSAA needs to punish the parties involved not those kids who are behaved.

Any way the governing body has ruled and that is the way it will be. I just think it was the wrong message. Let the play-offs begin!