best football team in past 20 years

easttnfballfan

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well beatlejuice27, I gues you are taking a shot at me b/c you think I am from Marion Co. and your Irish won last Fri. Well lets clarify,some things, #1 I used to e at MCHS coaching, 1998-2002, I am currently a HC in West TN. I have alot of friends on the staff at MCHS and coached alot of the players so yes i was pulling for them Fri.

#2 Houston Co. won fri. so congrats on that. Now you need to focus on DL and not last weeks game. You beat a MC team that, talent wise, was down from the previous years. They won games on heart and determination and that is what HS sports are all about.

#3 I understand you guys are happy, with the lack of winning in years past you ought to be, so enjoy your success and good luck against Lipscomb you will need it.

Finally I conclude with a small request, Let's leave this post to what it was intended to be a opinion on the best football teams the last 20 years and as far as my dawgs go they know who will not win 6 in a row b/c we have been that road before. ;)

Th topic I thought said last 20 years!! That would be 1983-2003. We are showing our age bringing up the 70's!! HA! HA! Anyway, I think the Marion Co. teams of 1994 and 1995, South Pitt. in 1999, Cleveland in their 3 year run 1992-1994 (WoW at some of those athletes, Cobb brothers, Corey Prigmore, Dante Hickey etc. These are some of the best ever in my humble opinion. ;)

You hit the nail on the head with that comment. Cleveland's team in '93 was the best I've seen. They had 8 players sign D-1 that year. I'm kind of young so I really couldn't make a true prediction to the other teams before 1990. I was only in the 8th grade in '90.

Anyway, I think the Marion Co. teams of 1994 and 1995, South Pitt. in 1999, Cleveland in their 3 year run 1992-1994 (WoW at some of those athletes, Cobb brothers, Corey Prigmore, Dante Hickey etc. These are some of the best ever in my humble opinion. :D

I agree with all your teams except the 99 S. Pitt team. They were much better the year before when they had Eddie Moore and Dan Merriman. The 98 team lost to Trousdale, which should be mentioned as some of the great teams from their days in 1A.

South Pittsburg is the winningest active 1A team in the state.

Their teams from 1985, 1986 and 1993, 1994, 1998, and 1999 were very very good teams and it is impossible to compare the various years with each other. On top of that, there were some good teams mixed in between those years. The 1999 team set the single season scoring record in all classes by rushing the ball!

Jasper (Marion County) had some good ones that beat MUS and Brentwood in the finals but let Jasper talk about them.

Trousdale County in 1993, 1994 and 1998 and 1999 were great teams and had some other good teams also.

Greenback in 1987 were good.

Edited by rlh

1988 89 Dickson teams were absolutely phenomenal. They had two backs, Vaughn and Huddleston who both went over 1700 yards( enroute to a state championship). They went undefeated in 1988 and lost in the second round of the playoffs to Gallatin snapping a twenty seven game winning streak. In addition, they had a twenty to nothing halftime lead in that game when Vaughn went down with an ankle injury with just under a minute in the half. Then, MIRACULOUSLY the sprinklers came on at halftime absolutely drenching the field with standind water. Dickson fans will never forget that. After all, you would never expect that at Gallatin.

1988 89 Dickson teams were absolutely phenomenal. They had two backs, Vaughn and Huddleston who both went over 1700 yards( enroute to a state championship). They went undefeated in 1988 and lost in the second round of the playoffs to Gallatin snapping a twenty seven game winning streak. In addition, they had a twenty to nothing halftime lead in that game when Vaughn went down with an ankle injury with just under a minute in the half. Then, MIRACULOUSLY the sprinklers came on at halftime absolutely drenching the field with standind water. Dickson fans will never forget that. After all, you would never expect that at Gallatin.

Big Poppa

I agree with your assesement of the 88 and 89 DC teams. Vaughn, Huddleston and Marsh were some incredible running back combinations. However, I don't know about the loss in the second round to Gallatin and the sprinklers. :blink: In 89 DC went in to the second round with a 26 game win streak and ranked 19th in the USA Today and lost to Whites Creek and Super Bowl Champion Shelton Quarles.

I think you have to mention the 1990 knox Central team that went to Oak Ridge and beat them 49-14 and that Oak Ridge team in most experts opinions had undoubtedly the most talented group of athletes in the history of Oak Ridge football. Also to be fair you would have to include the Oak Ridge Emory Hale teams of the mid to late 1970's, from what I have heard and seen on tape they were absolutely a state championship winning machine.

I think you have to mention the 1990 knox Central team that went to Oak Ridge and beat them 49-14 and that Oak Ridge team in most experts opinions had undoubtedly the most talented group of athletes in the history of Oak Ridge football. Also to be fair you would have to include the Oak Ridge Emory Hale teams of the mid to late 1970's, from what I have heard and seen on tape they were absolutely a state championship winning machine.

Why don't you mention the 1990 state champion Lincoln County Falcons who beat both of the teams mentioned in your post?