AP All-State Team

CoachT

Everybody knows what an outstanding athlete Michael Edmiston from Lincoln County was/is. And he got just recognition.

Lamar Divens was an imposing figure at defensive tackle....and has been duly recognized.

Everyone who played LC or saw them play comes away talking about their TWO monster tackles. The unrecognized one was THEO HORROCKS. I saw them a bunch. I'm not sure Lamar is better than Theo.

I'm puzzled why Lamar Divens go SO MUCH attention and Theo Horrocks go so little recognition. Theo could have started for any team in the state...easily...yet he didn't even make third team all state. Go figure.

I didn't think he was. And what about your fullback?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big H:

Tell me about it! Boyd-Buchanan dominated the BCBS and got ZERO kids named in the coaches' poll. I can see how both groups (coaches and media) could miss a few here and there, but the pure simple truth is that it's favoritism. Any player will tell you that yes, it's a nice honor but that and a nickle will buy you bubble gum. You can't really tell too much from it. Same goes for the Mr. Football awards- too much politics and favoritism. My son made it this year as a sophomore and we're still in shock.

That said, it's still fun to see it and flawed though it is, I enjoy seeing kids get the recognition.

Grad,

Oh yeah, anyone who saw film of Boyd in the playoffs knows why Chris Payne was honorable mention. He quietly did some unreal things and made things happen from a position that receives almost no attention.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Congrats to all who made it!

Still, I HATE the honorable mention section because of its sheer hugeness. I can understand having a section to honor those who didn't quite make 1st- or 2nd-team, but does it have to list a hundred or so players? It waters down the "All-state" title a bit.

If I were a player I'd probably feel differently, though. Congrats to all on the list!

I wonder if it shouldn't be indexed to population. For instance does Rhode Island or Maine have the same number of "All-State Players" as Texas or California? Is that fair?

If there are 300 High Schools in Tennessee with football programs and each program has 24 players (11 offense 11 defense and 2 kickers) than perhaps you have 300 X 24 = 7,200 players to choose from and you take the top 1% which is 72. So you have first team 24, second team 24, and the rest, which ironically would be 24, are named honorable mention. But there needs to be some sort of formula tied to it....IMO