Dead-o-Winter 2004 Region 4-5A Picks

TDCman

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest region4fan

Yes, I agree about the late spring.We didn't get in any scrimmages last year b/c we went out so early. They did it for the baseball players. At Oakland , they are always still going full steam in May for baseball. I am glad that we are going to hit it later. It has been freezing the last several years!

I do not know why you won't share some of the boys at Riverdale with us??? especially if you have two Thomas kids!!!

Oakland, I would like to get the Mimms kid at Oakland, but by all rights, Lavergne deserves him as he lives in their zone!!!They also should get the Johnson kid from Smyrna as he is in Lavergne's zone as well. I don't know how these schools that are constantly screaming about recruiting have the nerve to whine, when everyone knows what they have.

As for the Locke kid........Blackman can keep him. I want no part of the Dad!!!!

I would like the Miller kid from Riverdale, they can keep Thomas if we can have him.HAHA Hey TDC, is it a DEAL????

Edited by region4fan

How does the whole transfer thing work?

It's always great to get a player that can come in and play but I'm sure the kid that has worked his way up through the program doesn't like a transfer coming in and taking his spot.

What are the rules in Rutherford county on transfers.

BTW, I wouldn't mind if Meredith came over from Blackman. He would fit nicely into Spike's old spot. ;) A couple of those big lineman from Smyrna would be nice too.

Guest region4fan

Oline.....I am just joking!! I have all the confidence in the world in Oakland's coaches. Our small numbers did hurt us in a few games. Our coaches did wonders getting the kids into shape. Wow......especially Smitty!! I am wanting #'s out for the team. It would be great if there were some Carlos cailbur kids already at Oakland that would come out. Face it, only having less than a dozen seniors will hurt us. We need their leadership and experience!! I know that the coaches will weed out the kids that can't cut it, and turn mediocre kids into champions. I would just like to have 90 plus out like Riverdale, so we can get some fresh legs in. You know I wouldn't Give any of our boys away. The discipline and drive that Oakland boys have are second to NONE!!

Transfers have to go through the TSSAA. They have to be approved before they can play. With all the trouble at Gallatin and CPA, I am sure that any transfer will be CAREFULLY screened by coaches b/f they step foot on the field!!

We got AJ last year from Riverdale due to zone lines. He could have stayed at Riverdale, but chose to come our way. He was a great fit in our scheme. Even though our record wasn't near riverdale's , he was not sorry that he went the Patriot route.WE ARE GLAD TOO!!!!l

Oline, any more coaching additions to Oakland??

Edited by region4fan

The TSSAA does not care at all about school zones. They only care about the player once they have established residency and participated on the TSSAA level.

To change schools then there must be a change of residency or legal change of guardianship to transfer between schools.

I don't know how it is now but for a while most high schools in Rutherford county were signing any zone exemption request that came along leaving it basically open. Anytime one party refused to sign the school board would allow the transfer because they had already allowed this to become a practice.

presently????- I do not know how it goes I hear schools will not sign them for athletes anymore and the school board says they will not allow athletic transfers anymore. The school board has said this before but it always comes back to if you allow one and don't sign the other you are open up to lawsuits etc and can be accused of descriminating.Its either allow them all or none and while none sounds easy sometimes individual circumstances make it harder.

Does anyone know what the policy is now?

The easy transfers are the families that rent they can move to another zone anytime they want by renting in another zone.

As for teams having players that are zoned for other schools---------------------------- who can cast the first stone since at some point we have all had them.

Guest region4fan

Cat, Oakland got none, zero, nada Zone Exemptions signed. Originally we were to lose 5 kids to Siegel. Then they changed the zone lines for about the 10th time. We had around 10 or 12 that wanted to stay at Oakland and had been practicing with us. One kid had raised about 600 dollars for the program. They put in for exemptions, and were DENIED!!!! Since Kenny was the acting superintendent and was the principal of Siegel.............nothing got through. As a result , we lost about 17 or 18 kids instead of 5. So it depends on WHO it is and WHERE they are trying to get an exemption to. At the same EXACT time that our boys were denied an 8th GRADER from Central was granted an exemption to play football at , you guessed it, RIVERDALE!!!!!!!! Dirty, dirty, dirty!!!!!!!

As I said earlier I don't know what the policy is now on zone exemtions but I have heard from some coaches they were not allowing any from this point on?

I mentioned to you last year that I heard they were trying to get Siegel up and going and competing quickly much to the detriment of oakland it sounds like my sources were correct.

Riverdale is getting a lot of the players that can rent in their zone and yes people even buy houses and want to be sure to be in Riverdales zone. So their success continues to benefit them.

If you want to stop their dominance it is simple other teams in the region have to start beating them and beating them with some degree of regularity or they will continue to prosper it is just the american way everybody wants to play for a winner and a state championship every year.

Isn't it amazing that the year they come down hard on no zone exemptions is the year Siegel is started?

Guest region4fan

It was on the front page of the DNJ last year that the 8th grader applied for the exemption for last fall. That means he is a freshman. I don't think it had anything to do with practicing with the team??It stated in the same paper how many kids had been DENIED exemptions to Oakland that were in the last zone change for Siegel. Then it listed this kid and said his exemption was approved. It ACTUALLY stated that his reason for applying for the exemption was to play FOOTBALL at Riverdale. NO other e reason was listed. I am going to see if I kept that paper. It was sometime in March, April timeframe. What was sad is that usually you cannot even apply for an exemption until school is out....June 1. This kid must have been some big whigs kid. It made our boys LIVID that thought they were home free and could stay at Oakland! Remember, we did Spring EARLY!! A kid named Echols applied for an appeal after he was denied and struck out again! He was Siegel's starting Tailback as a soph. In the last zone change, Carlos Crawford was in Siegel's zone. Pressure was put on him to transfer by Siegel! A lot of kids were promised starting spots to go. Fortunately for us, Carlos stayed put!!

Of course, that that seems like a good enough reason for me. <_< Maybe I could get a job at the school board.

BTW, I searched the archives at the DNJ and couldn't find the story. I did find several stories about the zone exemptions saga. There was one that said Blackman lost 600 kids in 2000 to zone exemptions. That was likely what caused the crackdown on zone exemptions.

Anybody know when Blackman's spring starts. The lights were on at their stadium Tuesday night and I was wondering if they were having spring practice already.

Guest region4fan

TDC, we discussed the Riverdale exemption on this board. I will make it my mission to try to isolate the date and let you know when it was. It seems like Slim and I were discussing it when it happened. And NO, your help is not needed on the school board umless you throw a little help our way! HAHA

If Blackman is in spring, Meredith is not with them. He is in the state finals in wrestling. I saw the pic of him in today's paper and did not recall him being so "swole." His arms are HUGE!!!! Also I think Mimms and Locke are still in basketball??

Edited by region4fan