Dead-o-Winter 2004 Region 4-5A Picks

TDCman

I have to agree with ya Cat. Smyrna should be a good team this year. Orona has some very good speed and a few moves to go with it. Going back to the veer and utilizing the speed at QB and RB with Johnson will be tough to defend. If the Bulldogs can find a replacement for Shannon then they will be double tough.

How much on the line did they lose? And are there any sophmores that look to make immediate impact?

More than last year I am glad the next go around with the Bulldogs will take place in the Waveyard. Right now I figure ya'll to be in the top 3 of this years toughest opponents for the Green Wave.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think:

Riverdale

Smyrna

-------

Lebanon

Blackman or Wilson Central

Oakland, Siegel, Lavergne

Riverdale and Smyrna take the top two spots with a dog fight for the last two playoff spots.

I really keep going back and forth on Blackman, Siegel, and Wilson Central.

~ Blackman has talent at the skill positions but I'm unsure if they have the numbers on the lines that they will need.

~ Siegel looks good on the hoof but are probably still a year away. If I was betting on a surprise I would pick them.

~ Wilson Central has come a long way but they lost a lot of people from last year. They also had speed issues and it is hard to overlook that.

It's all just conjecture right now. Spring practices this year shold be very interesting.

smyrna has some strength coming out of there juniors to be. Josh bryson is benching around 360 and Adam Smotherman is squatting 500 and benching 300. The biggest question will be the line and the linebackers on defense. If Marsalous was a little bigger he would easily be a top 100 recruit nationally.

Smyrna lost 3 starters on O line but return 3 that got significant playing time last year and all their lineman have made huge gains in size and strength. Smotherman and Bryson practically live in the weight room and run extra every day.

What are the positives for all the other teams??

For Riverdale we already know sine they return virtually their entire team.

I will be happy to play Gallatin in Gallatin or anywhere for that matter as long as Link is gone!

I still hear we are getting a top QB transferring in from Kentucky but as I said earlier I will believe it when I actually see him on campus in pads.Besides I still like Orona running the veer.

Sophmore class has some excellent talent however they have a little attitude and will only contribute if they keep their heads in the right place and want to fit into the team concept.

Smyrna's area of concern:

1.QB- replacing a 4 yr starter is always tough

2.If Oroa is QB will he play under control and avoid turnovers

3.New center- we will still use the shotgun so that position is vastly under rated

4.Lost both defensive ends

5.Replacing Shanon at fullback as a runner we have guys that can actually block better but he was a load to bring down.

6.Getting over the Riverdale hump we have the players to compete its time to get it done.

Overall I predicted last years team would be good I actually have a better feeling about this years team than last year there's just something about this group that makes me think we can get it done this year.

Guest region4fan

I am anxious to see how all goes down this spring.

Cat, is Orona as good as Luke Powell at running that veer?

Where are the Siegel people?

JohnnyC ....glad to see you back on. I am dying to know the Alsup situation from fall. If you don't want to get into it on here, email me at mrregion4fan@yahoo.com. Thanks good buddy!

He is a bigger than Powell but not as fast although he is not slow.

He is very laid back and loves to kid around will this be good or bad I don't know

but he won't get to rattled.

Powell was one of a kind not only as an athlete but as a person By being small he got lost in the lineman a lot making it hard for defenses to find him.

Did you get my reply to your email earlier?

I am still waiting for others to trow out and bragg on their teams its early everyone is undefeated and for now I want even shoot you down or throw in my usual sarcastic comments but come July all bets are off and let the true "discussions" rule.

I will be happy to play Gallatin in Gallatin or anywhere for that matter as long as Link is gone!

Right now MacFarland is the likely starter for Gallatin. He was the Qb who split time with Link under center last year. When Link couldn't get anything going against Smyrna last year in the I believe second quarter he came in and led Gallatin to a touchdown. Which in turn got the ball rolling until the nailbiting 4th quarter. He is quick and some are predicting will be better than Link when it is all said and done. Oh yeah....he is the one who stripped the ball away to seal the win.

However I bet he doesn't have 227 yards against ya'll like last year.

Side note: Smyrna game had the offensive and defensive plays of the year for Gallatin. Guess which ones?

From an outsiders point of view:

1. Riverdale

2. Smyrna

3. Blackman

4. Lebanon or Wilson Central

5. Oakland (sorry guys)

6. Lavergne

7. siegel

Guest region4fan

Where is Link playing college ball??I will miss seeing that kid play. He was something else. Was there any resolution to all the court stuff from last season, GreenWave?

Oakland goes out for spring on May 3. Good luck to everyone!

Guest Oakland

i will give my oakland pre spring report on friday but for not i will throw in my 2 cents on the order of finish in region 4. personally, i think smyrna and riverdale are a step above the rest in this region, with blackman not to far behind, which in my opinion leaves a 4-way fight for the 4th and final spot bewteen lebanon,wilson central, oakland and maybe lavergne(sorry siegel, a year away in my opinion)but the frontrunners for 4th have to be lebanon and wilson central. but never count out on the pats, maybe just maybe ferguson will reignite a spark that has been missing from this team. but this will be a very fun year in region with every game being a must win game

Where is Link playing college ball??I will miss seeing that kid play. He was something else. Was there any resolution to all the court stuff from last season, GreenWave?

Oakland goes out for spring on May 3. Good luck to everyone!

Well I have been waiting for somebody to ask that question but I don't have time to answer right now.

Link had offers from some Division I schools but chose to play right across the border at Western Kentucky. He had 2 main reasons. The first being, he wanted to be close to Gallatin so his grandparents(who helped raise him) could come watch him play. The second was, most of the schools recruiting him wanted him to play defense. Aside from playing Qb last year he had 3 years starting at free safety. But he really wanted to play offense. Western recruited him at the receiver postion which is probably is his natural postion. They also said he would be likely to return kicks and possibly punts. I think they are looking to start him in his first year. I guess Rebelguy now has a new teammate.

I'll get back to your question later....