UT Basketball a Joke

2Hot4U

Don't bother trying to rationalize with the arguments JMo. These guys obviously have some sort of vendetta against buzz or Tennessee. First of all, it wasn't only Buzz who tried to recruit Boomer... it was also Gottfried from Alabama and Stallings from Vanderbilt. Not to mention talks with Penn State and Wake Forest. He has really started to turn it on lately. He made some key plays against Georgia and was the key player in the first half. He has surprised everyone. No one thought he would get off the bench this year or next. And today he got some quality minutes (especially in the first half), but the guards just couldn't break the defense and look inside. Even Brandon Crump only had 8 shots.

Second, Dane Bradshaw is a whole lot better college player than Lee Humphrey. Humphreys is not a true point guard and is too small for a shooting guard. I don't even need to say anything else, really...time will tel.

Third. Tennessee is extremely young and Buzz does a good job recruiting. Just wait for Stanley Asumnu and John Winchester to blossom. Also, Sophomore CJ Watson was the only player this summer from the SEC to play for the Junior Olympic Squad. Tennessee also has some strong recruits for the upcoming season.

Sometimes I just sit back and read people's posts and laugh. Even though I am a long time Vandy fan, this post was way too absurd, I had to come back with a rational argument. Boomer worst recruit ever? Humphreys better than Bradshaw? ETSU better than Tennessee? Come on people, don't show your ignorance so easily, let every one figure it out over time :unsure:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't bother trying to rationalize with the arguments JMo. These guys obviously have some sort of vendetta against buzz or Tennessee. First of all, it wasn't only Buzz who tried to recruit Boomer... it was also Gottfried from Alabama and Stallings from Vanderbilt. Not to mention talks with Penn State and Wake Forest. He has really started to turn it on lately. He made some key plays against Georgia and was the key player in the first half. He has surprised everyone. No one thought he would get off the bench this year or next. And today he got some quality minutes (especially in the first half), but the guards just couldn't break the defense and look inside. Even Brandon Crump only had 8 shots.

Second, Dane Bradshaw is a whole lot better college player than Lee Humphrey. Humphreys is not a true point guard and is too small for a shooting guard. I don't even need to say anything else, really...time will tel.

Third. Tennessee is extremely young and Buzz does a good job recruiting. Just wait for Stanley Asumnu and John Winchester to blossom. Also, Sophomore CJ Watson was the only player this summer from the SEC to play for the Junior Olympic Squad. Tennessee also has some strong recruits for the upcoming season.

Sometimes I just sit back and read people's posts and laugh. Even though I am a long time Vandy fan, this post was way too absurd, I had to come back with a rational argument. Boomer worst recruit ever? Humphreys better than Bradshaw? ETSU better than Tennessee? Come on people, don't show your ignorance so easily, let every one figure it out over time :)

Penn State? Ooooh Ahhhh. What a powerhouse that is.

Good post BallPlayer...

Penn State is in a little conference called the Big 10. It is called High Major.

Bradshaw is a better player at this level than Humphrey, which surprised me. But it is true that Bradshaw is having the MUCH better year. I was wrong on Bradshaw last year...

Tennessee had a bad game, but they are pretty darned good this year. I would say #2 in the state behind Vandy...

Also, Tennessee Tech and Belmont are right there for the #4 spot. Belmont may be the best mid major in the state this year after beating Austin Peay along with ETSU (take your pick). UT-Chatt and Tenn Tech would by 6 and 7 (again take your pick)... Austin Peay is 5-7, and is #9 in the state behind MTSU at 8...

[...]

Sometimes I just sit back and read people's posts and laugh. Even though I am a long time Vandy fan, this post was way too absurd, I had to come back with a rational argument. Boomer worst recruit ever? Humphreys better than Bradshaw? ETSU better than Tennessee? Come on people, don't show your ignorance so easily, let every one figure it out over time :)

ballplaya, thanks for a little reason amidst the language of fools! Your accuracy is a beacon that the other posters in this thread would do well to observe.

You guys are silly and really quite entertaining. UT basketball is just fine -- you act as if we've just had a 5-23 season. But my friends, this isn't 1990, it's 2003! We have a fantastic future ahead of us! Let's look at the FACTS.

1)Tennessee not only has one of its youngest teams ever, but also one of its most fast-paced, up-tempo coaching styles. These two factors combine to create inconsistent flashes of brilliance early in the season, eventually giving way to solid play and then to great efficiency. We have already seen bits and pieces of what's to come in the 108-84 win over Texas A&M and the 89-65 conquest of Georgia. In both games, Scooter McFadgon led the Vols, but many others scored in double figures. Several first-year Volunteers have already contributed this season, such as the aforementioned Scotter McFadgon, Dane Bradshaw, Major Wingate, and Jemere Hendrix. What's NOT to be excited about? So what if these young guys travel down to the toughest atmosphere in the SEC and lost by a big margin? It was their first difficult game of the season and only their third road game. They'll learn.

2)As for Buzz Peterson, let me first assure you of his spotless character, then move on to his coaching ability; after all, you can't have one without the other.

First, having talked to Buzz on a few occasions and seen from a somewhat inside perspective how he deals with his players, let me guarantee that if there are any discipline problems whatsoever, they will be dealt with more than appropriately. As for NCAA violations, you can forget about them! Buzz runs the program meticulously, and as an extremely committed Christian he won't stand for any bending of the rules. He doesn't even cuss.

Now, on to his coaching abilities. The University of Tennessee will always sign talented basketball players as long as Buzz is around. TN Mr. Basketball Dane Bradshaw, McDonald's All-America finalist Major Wingate, and AL Mr. Basketball finalist Jordan Howell headline the freshman class. The sophomores Peterson recruited include quickly-developing Stanley Asumnu, McDonald's All-American honorable mention/Clemson transfer Jemere Hendrix (leading rebounder), McDonald's finalist John Winchester, and floor leader/assists leader/McDonald's finalist C.J. Watson. On the way next year could be McDonald's All-American Jackie Butler (that is, if he turns down a first-round NBA draft opportunity) and in a couple of years look for the famous Tyler Smith to potentially make the trip east. You can't recruit much better than that!

But how about once they get on the court? Peterson has conditioned these players with a fast-paced game in mind, and they've responded well early, averaging 84 points a game through the first 10 games. Such speed inevitably brings about poor decisions, but the Vols are learning to keep these to a minimum and, once experienced, will be a force to be reckoned with. Stanley Asumnu and John Winchester have shown SIGNIFICANT improvements from their freshman seasons, changes that can only be attributed to sound coaching and discipline. Expect similar improvements from this year's freshmen in the upcoming offseason. Next year the Vols lose NO ONE...not a soul! This year they may not conquer the world, but wait until next season!

Wade Houston was a pitiful coach and pitiful recruiter. Kevin O'Neill was a decent recruiter and poor coach with an extremely foul mouth and sour attitude. Jerry Green was a fantastic recruiter and terrible coach. Buzz Peterson? He's shown himself to be the best recruiter in recent UT history, as well as the most upstanding, talented coaches. He'll succeed. Just watch and enjoy!

Almost forgot - put all your eggs in the Smith's kid basket from Giles County. Saw him play at the Arby's Classic - if he doesn't play with any more enthusiam or play fundamentally sound defense or develop a pure jump shot - he will be the biggest bust ever in our state.

My guess though - Buzz will screw it up. I am sure that Charlie Benson will have to get him to come, b/c BUzz couldn't do it on his own.

I take it you haven't seen a Tennessee basketball game this year till this one??

I don't think any team could have went in there today and beat Florida!

If you think Tyler Smith is a bust or will be than almost every big time 1A school in the country are terrible recruiters clleges like North Carolina, Vanderbilt, Kentucky & Kansas.

Buzz Peterson is a very good recruiter they already have a commitment from one of the best players in the country and is Tyler Smith's best friend in Jackie Butler a (6'10, 245) Center who is a former McDonald's All-American if he doesn't jump to the NBA he says they are several guys he would like to play with at Tennessee and T. Smith is one of them! If Butler gets to UT look for him to be a big time player for the VOLS!

Next season they have Jordon Howell who is redshirting because of an injury/illness he is a great 3 point shooter who originally signed with Georgia but came to Tennessee when the coaching situation started last year and would be playing this year if not for the illness and incoming Freshman Damion Harris (6'9, 250) Center from Greenville,SC

What's to say Buzz won't bolt and head up to coach some other place? Not playing devils advocate, but he did leave a great program at Tulsa. He missed out on Brewer and Humphrey, and Roy Williams from UNC REALLY wants Tyler Smith. Until UT athletics as a whole wins more championships, they will always be considered a Ladies Basketball school.

"TN Mr. Basketball Dane Bradshaw" WesVols, if you're going to call us Fools atleast make statements that are correct. Dane Bradshaw was not TN Mr. Basketball for AAA Lee Humphrey took that honor!! Also Humphrey was better in todays game in every single aspect, every single aspect of the game. He was also in the game 5 minutes less than Dane! You want to know exactly how much better Lee Humphrey did today...lets go to the stat board....

Rebounds: Lee 3, Dane 1

Assists: Lee 4, Dane 0

Turnovers: Lee 0, Dane 3

Steals: Lee 1, Dane 0

Minutes: Lee 11, Dane 16

Yes, Lee is better at every aspect of the game, but he's still not the better college call player!? Well I decided to also look at the possibility of you saying that I can't just narrow it down to one game...

Games played: Lee 8, Dane 11

FG Percentage: Lee 64.3, Dane 50

3 FG %: Lee 60, Dane 28.6

FT %: Lee 100, Dane 63.6

Rebounds: Lee 9, Dane 32

Personal Fouls: Lee 2, Dane 23

Assists: Lee 6, Dane 21

Turnovers: Lee 6, Dane 21

Blocks: Lee 0, Dane 2

Steals: Lee 2, Dane 9

Points Avg: Lee 3.5, Dane 4.3

Minute Avg: Lee 10.5, Dane 15.1

There we have it. Those are the season stats for the two. Lee has the highest FT, and 3PT FG average on the team. Granted that is a weighted statistic, but nonetheless impressive. He is second in FG percentage. In fact, Lee has a better shooting percentage than anyone on UT's team, in every category! Now the way I see it is that Florida has played a tougher schedule BY FAR and Lee has never really been called on to contribute, just to log minutes if anything. Dane on the other hand is a direct back up of CJ Watson, he plays in most every game and is a major contributer. Atleast hes supposed to be a major contributer, but I don't see it. In an environment where he can play more I think that Lee would have better stats than Dane in every category except rebounding. Now rebounding is good, but Dane is a point guard, on offense they should be defending the outlet pass, not boxing out. On defense rebounds are just fine, thats where Dane gets most of his, but when you consider when Lee is in the game and how much the oppoent is down by, its not worth rebounding.

Some of you are saying that its hard to get players in Tennessee to come play at Tennessee, I disagree. It was Lee Humphrey's dream to come play at Tennessee, its been his dream since he was a toddler, he was denied the dream. Players like McFagdon got his scholarship, well McFagdon is the SEC leading scorer...against who? Ohh yea, and have you looked at his shooting percentage? 42 percent, not bad but its only average. In fact the reason he seems to be scoring so much is he is fouled so much which is another good thing. Sure he's a good player, but really I think he stats are weighted, look who he's scored against...UMASS, UT Martin, etc. Gerald Fitch shoots 46 percent, 17.6 per game, and he is actually playing against real Division 1 competition. Tennessee can be good, but seems to me they are choosing the wrong players. They have 2 Freshmen guards, one is Dane, the other is from Alabama. Lee was ranked the 45th best prospect in 2003, the schools on his list were.... Florida, Stanford, Marquette, North Carolina State, South Carolina and Georgia Tech all of which are better than Tennessee. You can't let a guy like that slip out on you, especially for a guy like Jordan Howell. Howell hasn't logged a minute this yea, I assume he is being redshirted?. Will he be better than Lee? Doubt it!

Thing is, Lee will play wherever you ask him, if u want him to play post, he'll play his heart out, thats what UT needs. Someone that will play with some heart and wants to win for his team, they lost that when they let Lee Humphrey go.

Buzz is either a bad coach or a bad recruiter, because he hasn't done anything to UT, this year he hasn't lost many games, but he's not played anyone competitive either. If I recall they were darn close to losing to the likes of teams like Tennessee Tech, etc. PITIFUL!

Also, if you want UT to play like a good basketball team you might want to support them. Kentucky high school basketball packs in 24,000 people for a state championship game at Rupp, how many people come to UT's college games? Ohh..an average of a whole 11,000 people...that includes away games! Kentucky packs in 25,000 on average that is including neutral games. Kentucky has had 100,000 more fans come to games than Tennesse, and thats with one less game! Kentucky could play a High school team and have more people show up than a UT game against Florida. Thats pitiful. Now you might say that, "Well Kentucky doesn't support in football and they stink at that, so why don't u preach to them!?" Well that statement would be entirely wrong, Kentucky has been in the top 25 in the nation in attendance in Football for about a decade. Thats pretty good for a team with a losing record.

I agree with the first post, and I think the rest of the SEC does too...UT and Basketball--what a joke! :)