Columbia Basketball

validation1

You have got to be kidding. It is a coaches fault when he has no offense, defense and most of all disipline. Because he has no disipline he gets no respect from his players. His experience as a head coach has been middle school. He was not the head coach or even close in college level play. It is a whole new ballgame on and off the court when you are the head coach. The people a lot of us blame are the administration for putting him in the position. He is not ready yet for this level of play and in a basketball town. His players are not to blame totally, for Saturday night, yea they missed shots but there is a stradegy to this game no matter what is going wrong with the play during the game and he has none because he has no experience. I know for a fact that many of the players are thinking about a way to go somewhere else next year if things don't change for the better. This will be a sad thing for the team, but the people in charge over there need to be a little more careful in their hiring. I have seen some of these players play in AAU and I know they are better than what they are showing. The coach has to figure out a way to get that out of them. They are really down on themselves and that is another thing he is going to have to deal with. It will be a hard job and I don't know if the coach can do it without a little help from someone who has more experience.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting idea, and it is actually spelled discipline. Have you ever coached before? If so, where and what was your record? Secondly, I understand this is a basketball town, I have high expectations for this team too, but come on, to say that we have no defense and no offense and no discipline? Are you serious? We sat Xavier for an undisclosed reason and he is arguably one of the best players on the team. There is some discipline. We have averaged 64.3 points per game this year, the national average is 64.68 for winning teams and 52.55 for losing teams (according to the National Federation of State High School Associations from 2001-2002 season), so we actually have a winning offense. We average around 9 steals per game and 16 defensive rebounds per game (and we are undersized)...so the no defense argument doesn't work either. Most coaches who are assistants in college never coach in high school...they go on to be head coaches in college. Apparently, you know something about coaching evolution that the rest of Division 1 doesn't, you better call the NCAA about the fact that they have coaches who aren't qualified. I am not trying to be antagonistic, just trying to figure out the facts and match them up to both of our opinions. According to the numbers we would be a winning team across the nation. Period. Both Shelbyville and White Station have easier schedules than we do. We don't score hundreds of points, but White Station doesn't either (average 72 points per), which is 8 points above the national average, which is why they are ranked so high. We have lost 3 games by 7 points or less which would put us at 14-6 which is very respectable and would put us with the best teams in the state. Those are the facts and those facts are undisputed. If you don't like Coach Graves, that is a different story altogether. Just because you don't like him doesn't make him a bad coach. He has his team scoring, playing defense and disciplined. This is what a coach is supposed to do. He has a winning record and has a chance to knock off Shelbyville and Giles Co at home, which would make us all talk differently about this team.

As far as the players not playing to their ability, that is an excuse that people use when they aren't successful. They have no reason not to play well. Zack had 1 point I think against Spring Hill, 1 point!!! He couldn't hit anything. He had an off night and couldn't find another way to get it done. He had tons of open shots and just couldn't hit them. Steve Gray missed about 8 free throws, very unusual...but didn't get it done. They go through these spells where they get 7 turnovers in a row and can't convert them into any points. It happened at Shelbyville and it happened at Spring Hill, that is not executing. Their coach put in defenses that got them turnovers and they couldn't turn them into points. Once again, those are the facts and they are undisputed.

I played for Columbia last year and these boys are playing no where near the way they did last year, and the coaching is a big part of it. Thats a FACT! Our coaches had us ready for every game, scouting reports,watching game film and thats why we have been on the top the past 10-15 years. But as I watched the Sat., it made me sick to see Spring Hill beat them. They ran no plays, people just standing hoping when they shoot, steve get the rebound and score. Steve can't do much more than what he is doing. If the dang coach would put plays in for him and Zac, they would be better. They really need to look at this coach and wonder what is going if they don't turn it around! LET"S GO BOYS! HARDWORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by untame

How much of last year's team is still around? You act like ATHLETIC ABILITY and TALENT have nothing to do with it. Of course they aren't playing the same way...it isn't the same team! I can give you example after example of teams who lose to people who have no business being in the same gym with them...that isn't a relevant argument. We run plays for Steve all the time (opening play Saturday for a dunk) and Zack has the green light to call a play to give himself an open look...anytime he wants. Zack doesn't want to do it for whatever reason. Ask Zack, he will tell you that he can call his own number whenever he wants to. I hated to lose to Spring Hill too, but causing division amongst the team by blaming the coach for something that the players don't execute...that doesn't make any sense. Also, they run a motion offense..which is an offense that doesn't use set plays and allows athletic players to work to get open. At the end of the 1st half I saw 2 or 3 of the best offensive possessions I have seen all season, where they worked the ball from side to side and made Spring Hill play defense. You have a difference of opinion about coaching philosophy, not whether or not the coach is any good. Uptempo, motion offense is what he chooses to do, with a few set plays thrown in there. That is a coaching philosophy, some choose to run set plays. We can't run the set plays we have put in, so what good will it do for us to put more set plays in?

We have a difference in opinion, I doubt we will ever agree. At least do me a favor and make sure that you are comparing things that are similar and at least make some sense. Throwing around generalities and talking about how good they were last year doesn't prove your point...it strengthens mine. This is not even close to the same team as last year...so let's not compare them to last year's team. We are good and we are going to upset some people this year. If we go deep into the tournament, it won't be because our coach started coaching better, it will be because these kids started executing and playing together.

Come on guys, lets play well tonight against Tullahoma!

My opinion only, is if they respected him they would listen to him and do what he tells them. To get respect you have to have discipline and I know of many reasons which I will not air here that he does not. I do not dislike this coach. I don't even know him personally. I just think he has been put in a tough situation and he needs some help.

Wow Snake, cliche' that is an interesting form of debate. Flyer it is interesting that you feel as though he doesn't have discipline and have proof but you aren't willing to share it in here. If you are going to call into question something about this coach you should disclose why you question him...saying you can't share it is a cop-out. Debate is stating your opinion and backing it up with facts...I would like to hear those facts that support your opinion.

If you have a kid who talks back to you in front of the team whenever he wants and also cusses you out do you let him play, for that matter even stay on the team? If a kid is in trouble for drugs to you just give him a light punishment and then let him play? Do you think it is right for the younger players to yell at the senior? Do you think that players also should be held accountable for their classroom behavior when it reflecs the team? Do you ask a player after a loss if he has any ideas and then when he does the coach blows it off? I heard he got on to Walker for "showing off" as he put it when he went for a ball and threw it backward over his head and got it back to one of his teamates. That is really something to get on someone about. I have talked to some of his players and they just don't trust him yet. I think he needs to be a little harder on all of them. If they don't do what he has told them sit them down. Most know they can say or do anything and they will play anyway. I know I am right about all of this because I have heard it first hand and seen it.

Liveaqua, I dont no what you are to the team but yall are not getting it done at all! A lost to Tullahoma???? What in the world is that? In my last post, I wasnt comparing our team last year to the team this year bc I no they aint our level! I was saying that playing with us and seeing what it takes to make it the state, the have some understanding of the work we put in the be a good team. And I have seen 7 or 8 games now and there aint nothing you can say to make me think they run a motion offense! I was at the game last nite and the only thing I saw 4 out and 1 in. NO motion what so ever! Steve did not shot the ball no where near enough, but it hard to shot when you are on the bench most of the 4th per. during crunch time! Steve is the heart of the team and the way they are playing, if he dosent score 30, they wont win! Hope they make a run and win the district bc if not, SO LONG COACH GRAVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I was at the game Saturday and the two Justins walked off the floor mad, cussing and not respecting the coach at all. He has to get some disciplined from the team. They have often told people that he does not tell them what to do, and when he does they don't listen to what he has to say.

I am going to give him a little bit of advice from observation:

1. I wouldn't let my players get in the game if they didn't have their shorts, pulled up over their butts.

2. The first time one of them pout, they wouldn't get any playing time for the rest of the game.

3. I would set up plays to run and the first time one don't run the play, pulled them from the game.

4. They wouldn't dare talk back to me, as a coach.

5. I would hire an assistant that can help me out as a coach, the guys do not even respect his assistant, his freshman boys do not give him any respect.

I like Graves, as a person, but he really needs to start demanding his respect. And adminstration needs to somehow get it into these boys head that they need to pull up their shorts, they have a dress code then they need to enforce it on the court also, it is just plain tacky how they insist that their pants hang off their a --,

and they are suppose to set an example for our young fellows.

This team has to many heroes, they are not playing as a team.

And before I close, a tell tale sign of a good coach, they wouldn't have a try out and keep seniors, that space can be utilized by an up and coming player.

Don't get me wrong, because Bobby- you got to love him!

Wow, i am so impressed...some great posts with some great ideas, I really do mean that. You make good points about discipline, I think it is a two edged sword. If you sit these kids, as you have suggested, then there is a good chance you lose...which is the reason we are having this discussion in the first place. I haven't seen these kids cuss him out and be disrespectful, I sit very close to the bench during every game. I think you are right when you say that these kids know how to win, but where is that desire? You can't coach heart...it is one of those things that is just there. As far as disciplining goes, I have worked with inner-city kids at for over 7 years now and there is definitely a different approach you take when it comes to certain situations. Most kids who are involved with drugs are involved simply because of their home atmosphere. As a coach, teacher...whatever you want to try and help those kids who are honestly just caught up in their circumstances. Being suspended for 2 games or 1 game or 10 games...it all stinks when you are a player. It is miserable sitting on the bench watching the game when you can't help. You can't come into a program and demand they do things your way...you have to create rapport with people then you show them why your way is so effective. Maybe he needs to be harder on these kids, but if that happens, they may start losing...which would cause everyone to demand he quit or whatever. Unfortunately we the fans haven't been supporting him enough to give him that freedom. It is a difficult situation, but Coach Graves' track record has proven he will do the right thing...so let's trust that he will continue that track record.

I don't think he has ever won their trust or confidence. The real world doesn't care if they are inner city and Columbia isn't a metropolis. They don't talk like that to everyone only those they know they can get away with it and nothing will be done. How about the ones who do know how to behave how do you think they see this situation? Don't make excuses and don't coddle them or they will only get worse. They have some good guys on that team and apparently their examples don't mean a thing.