New point system for Nextel Cup

gobigred

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

OK folks, beginning this season only the top ten and those within 400 points of the leader, will have a chance to win the championship. After 26 races the leader's point total will be reset to 5050 and the others in the top ten will be reset to a total that decends from 5050 in 5 point increments. Example: #2 will be reset to 5045, #3 to 5040, etc. Others outside the top ten, but within 400 points of the leader, will be reset and fall in the same decending order. The intent is to avoid having the championship decided too early in the season.

See this link for further details:

New points system

What are your thoughts?

Is it fair that if you're in 11th place and win out the remainder of the season you don't get a chance for the point championship?

If he is with in 400 points of the leader, he does have an opportunity.

I like it. It will add some intensity and excitment to the series. The one thing I don't like is they only added 5 more points for winning a race. It should have been more. There will be an incredible championship race.

I like it too. It combines a requirement for consistency through 26 races with aggression and luck at the end of the year to win the championship. NASCAR couldn't stand too many more years of the championship being decided with 15 races left.

landergolfer, I agree with you on the on the point differential for winning a race. The winner should get 15-25 more points than the runner-up IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I like it too. It will make the end of the year much more exciting. I think they need to take the top 10 and whoever else is in whatever is deemed a reasonable chance to catch up. Just like the BCS, all systems have flaws. It could happen that the margin between 1st and 13th is very close. Probably won`t happen, but if it ever does the rules will change.

I like it too. It will make the end of the year much more exciting. I think they need to take the top 10 and whoever else is in whatever is deemed a reasonable chance to catch up. Just like the BCS, all systems have flaws. It could happen that the margin between 1st and 13th is very close. Probably won`t happen, but if it ever does the rules will change.

There will probably be some flaws and it is a work in progress. That's one thing NASCAR is not afraid to do. If they see a need, they will change the rules. That is something the other leagues won't do. It will be an interesting year to say the least.

8 DAYS UNTIL THE DAYTONA 500

Edited by landergolfer

• 3 weeks later...

I think it stinks ---

What if yopu're 5th in points with 13 races to go and some idiot takes you out of 2 races and you drop to 11th or 12th in points with 10 races to go. How does this make for good racing and how is it fair to all involved. Or what if it is a tight battle down to the last 10 races and you're only 5 points out of 10th, you're season is basically over.

Just another deal by NASCAR giving into someone who wants to sink some money into the sport.

NASCAR the company that is selling its soul and it's fans to the devil (aka TV and NEXTEL). One day this will jump up and bite'em in the rear.

Maybe the drivers need to form a union and stick to their guns. Let's see where NASCAR will be with no drivers and then no fans in the stands.

What if yopu're 5th in points with 13 races to go and some idiot takes you out of 2 races and you drop to 11th or 12th in points with 10 races to go. How does this make for good racing and how is it fair to all involved. Or what if it is a tight battle down to the last 10 races and you're only 5 points out of 10th, you're season is basically over.

Maybe the drivers need to form a union and stick to their guns. Let's see where NASCAR will be with no drivers and then no fans in the stands.

They take the first 10 AND anyone else who is within 400 points. No driver has ever made a comeback from being down 400 points with 10 to go. Most drivers like this system so why would they complain?

There was an effort to form a driver's union in the 60's by Curtis Turner. The only driver to go with him was Tim Flock. Turner needed money to build present day Lowes Motor Speedway and then went to the Teamsters(Spelling?) who would loan him money if he organized the drivers. Both were given lifetime suspensions by Big Bill France but was later reinstated. There also was a "walk-out" of drivers at the first race at Talladega because of the speeds and tire combination. The show went on as Big Bill went to the lower series and got drivers.

NASCAR has an open door policy where they will listen to the drivers. Pursues are at an all time high so why would drivers complain? There are alot of fans don't like the points system, the tv package, rules package, and even the drivers, but are still watching the races. I think the answer is simple: If you don't like it don't watch.