questions for coachT

don23

I must concur with the Fat one on this. I love watching Fox play HS basketball and also Catholic. He can score with the best of them, but he is not getting much serious interest from many. I know Maryville College took a look at him and thought that he was not able to play at that level. Could I, the fat one, and countless others be wrong. Definitely, but he has been talked about more than any other kid on this site this season, and it's getting old. Let the season play out, and let's see what happens to the "best player in K-Town". A couple of schools that have watched Catholic this season left impressed with Connor and Parton. Fox seems to be a good kid who plays hard and shoots well, and I want to wish him the best and I would love to be proven wrong about him. Don, are you all related?????????

chill,

Thanks for the insite. I met Fox and the Merryman at 5-star when I worked the camp in Radford. I have only seen Knox Catholic play twice this year. A few guys I know at UT said Fox was the best senior guard at the camp from the area besides J. Smith. I assumed all Knox area teams were there, maybe some were not. Maybe that was a presumptious statement, but I like the kid.

People better watch out for Merriman too, he has not reached his potential. Juco maybe be a good route for him. He can play at the next level. Both are good kids and play hard.

Parton also has potential. He can handle it, he sees the floor, and is a tenacious defender. I think if he works on his j, he could be very good when he is a senior. I love his competitiveness. Connor is smart and moves without the ball well. But when I saw him play he had like 3 or 4 points and the man he was guarding had like 20 in the Baylor game. He could also benefit from gaining some strength. I don't think he can create his own shot either. Catholis is fun to watch, I wish them luck this year.

Hopefully all these kids play somewhere at the next level.

don23...

Pickell is a heck of a player, but no, UTC is not interested... I really feel Pickell would be best suited to have an outstanding career at the NAIA level than pursue some of the schools interested in him right now at D-1... The case of 2003 Chatt G Ben Britt could be used as an example, so I would think Pickell would be best fit at an NAIA/ D-II...

The best Sr in the chatt area is JuJuan Smith, McMinn Co...

Justin Hare, Bradley is 2nd, with Pickell 3rd...

Rhea Co's Zach Hyatte is 4th...

Bradley's Cori Pugh is 5th, followed by Cook 6th, Henderson 7th, Merriman 8th, Benning 9th, and Rhea's Cooper 10th... Oh, East's Moore, Tyner's Mangrum, and Cleveland's Davis are likely 11th, 12th, and 13th...

Though Justin may sign over his head at Stanford, I like Smith's athleticism and upside much more, so I'll definitely go with Smith as the best Sr prospect... This was also evident when watching both last summer as teammates with the Travelers... Smith was the team's 2nd best player behind Brewer, with Harpeth's Dansby 3rd... Hare and Henry Harris were likely next...

The Junior class appears that it could be more loaded in the Chatt area at the top than the Sr. Class...

Smith, Floyd, Adams, Little, and Cornelius lead the pack, with White, Skogen, Ray, Sanders, Tindell, Hammonds, Gruthius, and Suiter round out the 2nd tier in the Junior class...

• 15 years later...

Chill and fat joe, I beg to differ on the issue of tony fox being the best guard around. At this point he’s clearly proven to be one of East Tennessee’s finest players of the last 20 years. That’s not only my unbiased opinion, it’s a verifiable fact. There’s literally no one who has done what this kid has done on the hardcourt, including landing an old spice commercial.

If if you want to see how tony is still tearing up the hardcourt, go to Chickamauga tonight and see for yourself. I’m not sure which gym but there are only a few hardcourts around so you can find it. 7:00 sharp (I think).  He’s been performing at an extremely high level in the regional A division, averaging 24.8 points per game and as a vocal leader also, has pushed his team to the top of the division. In the semi-final tonight, we hope to see him drop another 58 (!) on the team that he single-handledly destroyed earlier in the season.

Not only that, but due to numerous injuries during his illustrious college career and the resulting medical redshirt, Fox still has 2 years of college eligibility. I’ve seen him running the streets of Hixson in the early morning, and there’s no doubt he’s in the best shape of his life. And his quick-release jumper and three ball distance never left.  If you have any college scout connections, you should inform them to attend tonight. Fox has entered the NCAA transfer portal and could be yours if the offer is right.

Best of the last 20 years? Confirmed. Best ever? To be determined. Form is temporary but class is permanent. Be a part of the incredible Tony Fox journey.

• Like 1

I’m not sure what’s more incredible, a Tony Fox follow up post or that I’m still on this site 15 years later!?

No idea where FatJoe is these days, but Gomab has moved up to a head coach in the college ranks and works for USA Basketball. 

Edited by chill
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, chill said:

I’m not sure what’s more incredible, a Tony Fox follow up post or that I’m still on this site 15 years later!?

No idea where FatJoe is these days, but Gomab has moved up to a head coach in the college ranks and works for USA Basketball. 

LOL!  It's rare, but I have seen a couple of times where someone has replied to something from over a decade ago.  It still amazes me!  It's fascinating that all of these old posts and conversations are still here and that someone would dig that far back to find them.

And if 15 years on here is incredible, I wonder what 17 years for me means? :shock:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guys, I must not be in on the joke because I don’t understand what’s so incredible about my post. All I know is that some on here doubted the skill and ability of Tony Fox, and I’m afraid some such feelings persist today. Call me crazy, but I just want the guy to get a fair shake, and I don’t believe that’s asking too much. If I have to be bullied for the sake of truth and transparency then so be it, but that seems unnecessary. Wherever he lands (wink wink, Coach Barnes), you’re getting a gem.

BTW Fox put up 52 and 7 tonight in the semis as his squad won by 12. I’ll send info on the finals when I have it.

Can there really be any doubt now? 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Just a brief update that Tony Fox had that knee surgery at long last. He battled through the injury for years but at his age and with a young family, it was simply time to go under the knife. He'll be on the injured list for a bit but I've been told that he's on the mend now and feeling better than ever. The hope is that he'll be fully fit for preseason training camp next year, which is huge news because he's been a big and obvious miss for the squad this season. :thumb: