It's Time

etcoach

It's time to officially list Wiliam Blount Coach David Baumann as doing one of the best jobs in East Tennessee this year. I am obviously biased (which I am not ashamed to write) but the district record speaks for itself. The Govs lose 9 seniors from a year ago, returning only one player with legitimate varsity experience. What do they do? They finish, at worst (if they lost Thurs vs West) tied for 3rd with Bearden. They play top notch competition outside the district....2 games w/Bradley Central, 1 game w/ Science Hill, 2 games w/ Alcoa, and 1 game w/ Austin East. He doesn't just play them when he is loaded w/ talent. He will play them any year, any time, any place. I think this out of district schedule has done nothing but help this year's bunch of varsity rookies. By the way, we were whining a bit when Blevins poured it on a few weeks ago. Looking back, it was the best thing that could have happened to this bunch. They have come together as a unit, and they have decided to follow their chief, a man not "heck bent" on winning at all costs;instead, a man that teaches his kids how to work hard and hopefully be productive citizens after graduation. They will if they follow the example of their head coach!

You are correct etcoach. Good coach, evidently quality person, but of these teams they played out of district how many have they beaten? Maryville only has 2 players back from last year, so does that make Nelson the coach of the century? The league is just not that good. Give wb credit for making the most out of the soft part of their schedule.

Farragut is a soft spot in their schedule? Lets give credit where credit is due. W.B. got off of the mat after being delivered what could have been a knock out punch by Bearden. Instead of feeling sorry for themselves they went to their corner and came out fighting. The way the team responed has a lot to do with the leadeship of the program. You don't want to draw them in the Disrict tournament.

Maryville is going through an incrediable run of athletes. Lets see what Coach Nelson does when the talent level isn't so great. Past history say not much!

Baumann does a great job and is a good, Christian man. I'm happy for him and his players. They have had a great year considering who they had to replace, although the young players there last year were better than most people realize. The program should be consistently winning 15-20 games and contending for region berths each year. Baumann does it the right way - hard worker, intense, and very classy.

Nelson does a good job every year. Granted, the past few years he's been loaded with talent. But it's not fair to criticize him for not winning when he doesn't have talent. Say what you want to about coaching, talent is 90 percent of the battle in high school basketball. Coaching plays a big role, yes, but not when there is a big gap in the talent level. There are many coaches with poor records who do a great job, but no matter what they do it would be difficult to win. Likewise, there are coaches with great records who don't do that good of a job because they out-talent most people.

Nelson is a good coach. Will he win the district next year after he loses Tipton and Gaskin? Probably not. But that doesn't make him any less of a coach.

etcoach you are correct the Maryville guys are very good, but they did just have 2 guys back. The only thing I challenge is wb's record against good teams. The way I see it they have beat a good Farragut team and that's it. Check the record of their AAA wins. Except for SD none of the other teams have come close to a winning record and you know how good SD is(according to your post). A sign of a good coach is to win the games they can. WB has done that plus one. They need to get 1 more to make me a fan. Take out Farragut and the winning percentage of their AAA wins is probably about 30%. No knock on wb, just the facts. WB has had a good run of talent the last 3 years. How many of those players are playing in college in comparison to Maryville?

SS,

Besides Lee, I'm not sure who else from MHS is currently playing college ball. Did Houser go somewhere to play? McCord might be playing at MC still I think. Some of you Maryville folk help me out if I'm leaving off some.

From Blount, I know that Golden and Johnson are playing at Maryville; I believe Chris Clapp is still playing college ball, I know he did last year. Andy Chaney, I'm not certain if he's still playing somewhere or not.