Elizabethton's Secret Weapons

cyclonehomer

Mike Wilson is clearly one of the best coaches in the area. He has his faults, but he knows the game and treats the kids well. And he was smart enough to get Harry Farthing on board when he had an opening at the junior varsity level.

Wilson has helped three teams reach the substate round, twice in Class AAA and once in Class AA. How many coaches have that on their resume? And he might add a fourth trip this year or next.

Clearly the Cyclones have an edge on most teams when the ball is tipped off because of the way Wilson coaches.

As for Farthing, few people know of the impact he has made on the Elizabethton girls basketball program. He started at the ground level and began planting the seeds that are now maturing into kids with high school success. It's almost like he's Johnny Appleseed, or maybe Johnny BasketballSeed.

Need proof of his ability? The last two teams he has coached have gone 31-5 or something very close to that. What more could you ask from the man?

It is clear from watching his teams play from the stands that he know Xs and Os. He pushes the kids hard and maybe gets a little mean at times, but what he also gets are results.

I think some of the Elizabethton parents need to let their little daughters get criticized a little bit and quit babying them. It's part of basketball for a coach to yell at a kid, as long as there are no cuss words or that sort, and I've never heard Farthing do that.

I have been told there are some situations he could have handled better, but the man is not perfect, perhaps stubborn, but he could work on that.

I will tell you this, you don't know what you've got until its gone so support what you've got. And that goes for Wilson and Farthing.

Mike Wilson is clearly one of the best coaches in the area. He has his faults, but he knows the game and treats the kids well. And he was smart enough to get Harry Farthing on board when he had an opening at the junior varsity level.

Wilson has helped three teams reach the substate round, twice in Class AAA and once in Class AA. How many coaches have that on their resume? And he might add a fourth trip this year or next.

Clearly the Cyclones have an edge on most teams when the ball is tipped off because of the way Wilson coaches.

As for Farthing, few people know of the impact he has made on the Elizabethton girls basketball program. He started at the ground level and began planting the seeds that are now maturing into kids with high school success. It's almost like he's Johnny Appleseed, or maybe Johnny BasketballSeed.

Need proof of his ability? The last two teams he has coached have gone 31-5 or something very close to that. What more could you ask from the man?

It is clear from watching his teams play from the stands that he know Xs and Os. He pushes the kids hard and maybe gets a little mean at times, but what he also gets are results.

I think some of the Elizabethton parents need to let their little daughters get criticized a little bit and quit babying them. It's part of basketball for a coach to yell at a kid, as long as there are no cuss words or that sort, and I've never heard Farthing do that.

I have been told there are some situations he could have handled better, but the man is not perfect, perhaps stubborn, but he could work on that.

I will tell you this, you don't know what you've got until its gone so support what you've got. And that goes for Wilson and Farthing.

Most intelligent thing you have ever posted. Kudos!

I'm sure they appreceiate the compliment!

Coach Farthing does a decent job as an assistant coach and Coach Wilson has done a good job in the past few years. But I think Coach Able from Happy Valley is a better assistant coach than Farthing. Coach Able's knowledge of the game is just amazing. His rapport with the players can't be matched. If the valley would let him do the coaching they would be a much higher seed. Would be interesting to get the assistant coaches on here and see what changes they would make in their programs. Not to do any backsabbing just interested to see how they view their programs differently than the head coaches. Maybe Wilson and Farthering are like the weapons of mass destruction in Iran. Oh I forgot, those just might have been make believe.

I, too, think Wilson and Farthing have done a tremendous job with the Elizabethton program. Sure, they have better players now, but it takes good coaching even when there are good players to have the level of success they have had. Congratulations guys.

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me, thy rod and thy staff they comfort me

Do me a favor coachh17, find a way to get your girls one more shot at Unicoi County this season. After eight straight losses in three years, with most of them being close, I really believe Elizabethton will find a way to win. I think your girls have had enough of the Unicoi dominance and will play the game of their young lives if they get one more shot.

So give it all you've got against Central and the reward may be great.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;

Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

Psalm 139:9-10.

Edited by John_316

Do me a favor coachh17, find a way to get your girls one more shot at Unicoi County this season. After eight straight losses in three years, with most of them being close, I really believe Elizabethton will find a way to win. I think your girls have had enough of the Unicoi dominance and will play the game of their young lives if they get one more shot.

So give it all you've got against Central and the reward may be great.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;

Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

Psalm 139:9-10.

John, we would love to play Unicoi again for a district title, but we have to beat a very good Central team on their home floor first. Our entire team is tired of the Unicoi monkey on our backs, but they are extremely good ,so it is quite a tenacious little monkey! The last couple of seasons I coached at T.A. Dugger my basketball and softball teams were finally able to defeat Unicoi for championships, but it took time and great effort. We know all streaks must end, and continue to work on having varsity success against the Devils. Unicoi will be tough to unseat, but that challenge is why we play and coach. Thank you for supporting our team. Go Cyclones!