Lack of respect for Soccer

IN2VOLS

I was wondering how many schools have a problem with what seems to me to just be flat out disrespect for soccer. Today the ooltewah owls were denied a place to practice at their own school. The gamefield (off limits on a reg basis due to the football coach) and the practice field were both taken over by the track team, for a meet that is probably still going (no matter what time you read this). The ooltewah girls team practices at a soccer complex a solid 15 min away from campus b/c the fields are in use. The mens team however was denied use of this complex last year, so that was not even a consideration. Perhaps the biggest game of the season is coming up thursday, and no one batted an eye when we were denied practice time...no one cared. To make matters even worse, a new softball field is being built at ooltewah, but the plan for a soccer field was denied. Any others schools have problems like these? if so, how have yall adressed such issues with the your administrations (for the coaches i guess)?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) THAT IS TOTAL CRAP!!!!! HOW THE HECK ARE WE SUPPOSE TO BRING OUR GAME TO THE NEXT LEVEL WHEN WE'RE DENIED BOTH SOCCER FIELDS AT OOLTEWAH BECAUSE THE TRACK TEAM NEEDS BOTH OF THEM? ESPECIALLY TWO DAYS BEFORE THE BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR AGAINST SODDY DAISY!! SORRY MR. FOSTER (ohs principal), BUT SOCCER IS THE WORLD'S GAME AND ONE OF THE FASTEST GROWING SPORTS IN AMERICA, YOU SHOULD GIVE YOUR OWLS SOCCER PROGRAM SOME RESPECT FOR REPRESENTING THE SCHOOL! CRAP, COMPLETE CRAP!

i agree, the school in general craps on our program and gives us no respect what so ever. we haven't even lost a match yet. maybe a win against soddy could do some convincing but im not even sure that would work. also the school is saying we owe some bogus charge on poweraid that we never even used. i mean what is thie deal really??

Our school program never really shows us much respect when we are just as competitive as our footbal team(who didnt fare too well this year). our feild is in horrible condition and we have to practice on it which tears it up for games. Our JV plays basically in a field with one goal with a half of a net if a net at all. But yea...its kinda pathetic. Good topic!!!

i would bet money our field is in worse condition. first of all there is bull dozer tracks all the way through it, from top to bottom stretching side to side as well. then we have a about a 100 feet long shed that is sitting in one corner of it taking up a farily good chunk of the field. all the grass is dead, its basically dirt. then we cant even park in the grass by the field because they bulldozed the only path leading there because they dont want us parking in the grass. so we have to park on the side of the road(on the shoulder) just to get there. our nets are ducttaped to about 50 year old goal posts because our own school would not even supply us with some. Also on any given day the shot put team uses up have of the field so they can throw which puts us the players in danger of being struck by a flying disk. so yeah our field is pretty pathetic and not always available to us like n2vols said. that is total crap if you ask me.

Edited by ohsref23

I hate how the soccer team gets barely anything compared to football, basketball, or baseball. They all have tons of good stuff. And, the soccer team has a crap field. And, we are lucky enough to share the stadium with football. I also hate how no one goes to soccer games. The crowds are tiny compared to other sports.

Yea man thats sounds pretty bad...our field is bad but not QUITE dirt(getting there though)...however we got new goals and nets this year but thats only because he were forced to because of the new round pole rules. But yea i just think that the school systems should become more interested in the soccer programs.

My school, BA, hates soccer, the athletic director/football coach, though he will never admit it, cant stand soccer. We do however have a very nice field one of the only world cup size fields in the state and it is used solely for soccer. And this is coming from a school that cant stand soccer, so the fact that yall couldnt even practice is unreal. That is terrible. our schools love for soccer has grown a little over the past few years since we've gotten our new headmaster, he grew up around soccer and his son starts for us, so that has helped its popularity a little bit, becuase he gets so involved.

u guys are just at the wrong school, once u get a few titles the money will come. we've gone four years in a row now, consistantly winning a district, region or sectional title, and we have no money issues, my coach just bought me two new pairs of fingersaves... about 300 bucks in gloves. so yea come on over here and play, screw football and basketball... actually basketball is kinda cool cuz they could never take our space, plus we have a real competitive team. but all of our crowds are good, and they always get rowdy. a lot of it can come from u. u have to make it known that u have a game, make a funny announcement, or do a dressup day to get peoples attention. we have goodwill suit day, we all go out and buy suits, and everyone knows there's a big game. it's as good as u make it.

Edited by mtnman

Naw man this is Ooltewah and the school in General seems to think that the soccer team is a joke... the fact is Ooltewah over teh years has been a pretty good program even with terrible coaching (until last year) in which they had better coaching than ever before but have had an off year, thanks to players that didn't care... Ooltewah has always had problems with the field... Always having to share it with Track and Football but never to the point where the players couldn't get in a practice! Just 2 seasons ago this team was in the state finals and the Bearden coach went as far as to say before our quarterfinal game that we were the only squad he thought could beat them...Ooltewah has had All-State players, and Plenty of District and Region Titles yet the school is SO backward that they felt the Football and Track team deserved more respect(even though the Football team was HORRIBLE until 2001 and sucked this past year as well), Ooltewahs Track has had some state champiions but never a team state title... here is an idea... IF YOU DON"T HAVE THE FACILITIES TO HOST AN ENTIRE TRACK MEET WITHOUT STEPPING ON ANOTHER OF YOUR PROGRAMS TOES THEN QUIT HOSTING MEETS!!!...Fact is, there is plenty of space out in the area where Ooltewah is for a soccer field to be built but the Administration is TOO CHEAP(and how could the soccer team owe money for powerade when they drink the water that is used to water the field??) Christway Church has the PERFECT lot for a soccer field for Ooltewah and their Youth Minister was even helping with the Ooltewah squad this season, yet somehow a deal cannot be worked out for a piece of that property to be used for a soccer field!?!? And don't give me that junk about "theyre using that space for parking, because that space is large enough for a mall parking lot much less a church plus ONE soccer field.... Bill, Farley, Curtis, Mr. Foster... if any of you read this thread I hope yall realise something NEEDS to be done... Mr. Foster if you continue to leave the soccer team out in the cold youre going to alienate All the soccer players, fans and parents at your school... and just a reminder, one of your girls soccer team members' uncle is one of the county commissioners(you should know this since his name is up in the gym!) and you also might realise that those people have ALOT of sway in the community... get the soccer team the space it needs... there is more soccer talent in Ooltewah/east brainerd than any other area of chattanooga.. and youll have a GREAT program when players and parents realise they can get good facilities and a great education at your school without feeling like secondary citizens...sorry to ramble... thats years of frustration being let loose