Lack of respect for Soccer

IN2VOLS

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the softball team at ooltewah is just now getting a softball field(supposed to be ready by the end of april) and yeah the soccer team didn't have a place to practice that one day b/c there was a track meet with about 6 or 7 other schools there, its not like they were kicked off so another sport could practice or anything like that, it was an important track meet...im not saying soccer shouldn't have a soccer field b/c they should, there just isn't much room to have one on our school, b/c you guys said even the football practice field(soccer's practice field also) is too small for you guys, i mean you do get to play your games on the game field, but you brought up the point about where the band practices, that is not ooltewah's land as it has been told to me, it is the church's(used to be arnold palmers golf shop's) land, so they just allow the band to practice on it, it is a very rocky, uneven, full of holes type land, to make it playable for soccer would be cause for a lot of work, and this would cause for the church to have to pay for all of that since it is their land, this is why that land is not in use as a soccer field...yes there is a lack of respect for soccer im not denying that, but until the sport becomes more popular with high school students and it starts making more money, it will stay that way

yes there is a lack of respect for soccer im not denying that, but until the sport becomes more popular with high school students and it starts making more money, it will stay that way

You are still missing the point. How popular are cross-country, golf, tennis or competitive cheerleading from a spectator's point-of-view (no lewd comments about cheerleading, please). A friend of mine is on the OHS soccer booster club and Ooltewah currently has three sports with negative balances (volleyball, baseball and boys soccer). Should those sports be dropped? I would estimate that would be nearly 150 athletes who would no longer have teams and what would happen to them? For the last time, this is NOT about popularity, it is about providing opportunites to the student-athletes. The fact is that there is land to be had on the Ooltewah campus. There is a house for sale next to the Christway church. People who hold an interest in a particular sport (soccer in this case) should use their booster club (and anyone else) to petition the county to purchase this property. It, along with existing land, could easily be made into a soccer field while maintaining the current football practice field. Then everybody could be accomodated.

i dont see that happening any time soon, but if you convince the administration and the county to do that then i would be very impressed even though it wont apply to me since i am a graduating senior, also in years past we have never had this problem with not being able to practice and this is based upon our new practice times which conflict with track meets. we used to practice at 2:30 but now we moved it to 4:30. maybe if we could go back to practicing at 2:30 then all this could be avoided, just a thought. oh and i like all sports soccer, baseball, basketball, football, etc. i dont really think any one is superior then the other and each involve strategy as wel as athletic ability. it is pointless to go and argue which is better or that one is more boreing then the other, because they are all diff. in their own ways.

Edited by ohsref23

You are still missing the point. How popular are cross-country, golf, tennis or competitive cheerleading from a spectator's point-of-view (no lewd comments about cheerleading, please). A friend of mine is on the OHS soccer booster club and Ooltewah currently has three sports with negative balances (volleyball, baseball and boys soccer). Should those sports be dropped? I would estimate that would be nearly 150 athletes who would no longer have teams and what would happen to them? For the last time, this is NOT about popularity, it is about providing opportunites to the student-athletes. The fact is that there is land to be had on the Ooltewah campus. There is a house for sale next to the Christway church. People who hold an interest in a particular sport (soccer in this case) should use their booster club (and anyone else) to petition the county to purchase this property. It, along with existing land, could easily be made into a soccer field while maintaining the current football practice field. Then everybody could be accomodated.

cross county, golf, and cheerleading do not have a "practice field" or game field if you are going to argue that, cross country is the only one that practices on campus, and that is only when they run through the parking lot, most of the time they run down mtn. view road and their meets are held at the dam i believe, cheerleading practices at the church, and golf at hampton creek, and the tennis courts that the tennis team has are public courts and they have been there forever..these sports dont take up any money at any of their events(except cheerleading b/c those events are put on by corporations and they sell tickets) so that is why they do not have negative balances b/c they do not have anyone that they have to accomodate, the teams have the kids buy all of their stuff with their own money: shoes, racquets, clubs, etc...so are you suggesting taht since golf has a lack of respect in high school that we need to accomodate a 9 hole course and driving range on campus so they have a place to practice on our campus?

now that was just a stupid comment.... mnewballer, the golf team CAN practice on campus, only rather than building a course they just need to use Frolf as their training mechanism... and believe you me, you can make a heck of an 18 hole frolf course on Ooltewah's property. and the soccer team is not "getting" to use the football field, they have no other option. the football field is not of adequate width for a true soccer field, nor is it's sloped design, good for overall play for soccer. with water spots all along the far half of the field and "swampland" in the 2 stadium side corners after any rainfall, the football field is hardly a proper pitch. as far as taking the moeny to renovate the band field into a proper training ground... well, thats not exactly true. all you need to is get a crew with 'dozers for leveling, and ALOT of topsoil, and then either the time for seeding, or sodding the pitch. theyve already got goals that are easy to move so theres no investment there. really were christway willing to sell or just allow the school to put that sort of financial investment into that field it would be quite easy to pull off. or they could just buy another lot of similar size from christway(cause theres noway on earth they are gonna use all that area for parking), and it's the christian thing to do to help the local center for education with a problem such as this. they don't even have to make any sacrifices, just let them buy the field for a reasonable price, Ill bet the school would even let them use the field for a church soccer league...

ok now that was a bit ridiculous staynskool, the whole frolf thing, that was a very sad attempt at trying to be funny...but the church has done numerous things for the "local center for education" they should have to take a break from doing things as far as im concerned, and now that you are getting rid of the bands practice field to make a soccer field, where will they get to practice now...ooltewah's band is one of the top money makers for our school and most people around the entire nation only know about ooltewah b/c of our band, i believe they would have first priority...that and denton is the biggest stink up in the world and will do anything for foster to get his way....and no i bet the school wouldn't let them use it for a church soccer league, the school will only let people step foot on the track and the tennis courts, if they see someone even get a foot on the football field someone comes screaming, im sure it would be the same way on that field too

Edited by mnewballer21

I've been hesitant to bring this up, but I have been keeping up with this thread most everyday. Have you ever thjought about having a series of fund raisers to build you own field? That is assuming you have land to build. Now I know Brentwood is in a very affluent area but, They did just that. A group of parents started the ball rolling and thru fund raising and donations they ended up with a nice pitch. Once they got going and the administration saw what was happening, the school pitched in and helped. However, 80 -90% was done by the parents. Granted one of the parents was a landscape/civil engineer and that helped. They were able to get local suppliers to either donate items ( seed, fertilizer etc ) or sell these items at greatly reduced costs. All the labor was done by the players and their families. This took them 2 years and it might take you longer, but it will not get done unless you start it yourself. If you want a field bad enough even if its done after you leave you'll use all your energy organizing this instead of complaing about it on CoachT. B)