Lack of respect for Soccer

IN2VOLS

Something else thast adds to the craziness of this situation is the magnitude of this game. The winner of this game has the Extreme upper hand in winning the reg. season district, and hosting the district tournament at their respective school. For a school that is obsesed with money and whinning about not having enough; not caring if the whole district tounament comes to their school is very odd. Maybe money is good, just not soccer money.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah well, not everyone in tennessee it lucky enough as to get to attend private schools.... those who get stuck at public have to make due with what is alotted to them. and public school administrators usually don't understand soccer, much less appreciate their own teams. Softball gets as many, maybe less fans to games but gets full support thanks to title 9... only problem is a male sport that is not baseball, basketball, or football, is going to struggle. wrestling might have similar problems except their sport is more flexible due to the fact that all you need is a gym area and a mat to perform. Public schools need more support so they can have quality soccer teams...but to get support they need to make it clear that soccer players are not considered secondary in the minds of the administration

I think we should pause here and hold back on some of the harsh comments. We have to remember that public schools are not endowed with an infinite supply of money. The football team purchases most of their equipment with money made at the gate. However, it is somewhat the responsibility of the school to promote these games; yet, the situation we had yesterday was totally unacceptable--a school with over 2 acres of property cannot afford to allot a 50 X 100 yard rectangle for 30 young men? We were actually in the process of going down to the practice "pit" to use half of it, but were denied that, too.

Perhaps we, the players on here, should go to our parents and them make some phone calls. First I would suggest called Principal Foster, next Jarvis, and then maybe a few calls to the board. This will not be an easy process, but progress can be made. Further--if the mens' team is treated like this, imagine what the girls' program faces...

We don't get much respect either. Don't get me wrong, we don't have the greatest program and we've only had a team for 2 years (this being the 2nd year). But we asked if we could use the football PRACTICE field just for games cuz our other field stinks horribly but they were gonna charge us a crapload of money to play on it. I mean we're a school team and they were gonna make us pay to play on a field that isn't used. Pretty messed up.

Guys, it's not just at this school or that school, it's nation-wide. There is widespread ignorance of soccer in the US and a significant anti-soccer bias in general. It is considered a joke sport by many long-time football and baseball fans; some consider it un-American; many fear soccer because they see it as a threat to other sports. Many high school football coaches hate soccer because a lot of the good athletes that might play football now opt for soccer instead.

We know it's a great sport but until it is perceived by the general public on a level with the established sports, soccer will continue to be disrespected. That includes getting people to come out to the games. If it makes money, administrators will start to pay attention. It's better now than it was 10 years ago and it will get better in the future.

Well guys, I have to disagree with a lot of things that have been said on here the past couple days. We, Smyrna HS, do not have a problem with soccer at all. We are a public school that the coaches work together to make sure all the programs are competitive. We play at the football field and we practice on the football field also! Our football coach comes and watches the soccer games and he also coached U-8 girls soccer before. We can afford to buy our keepers fingersaves and several players are even provided with soccer shoes. The players do not have to buy their own uniforms, the school buys them every year (2 sets, home and away) with complete warm-up suit and 4 practice t-shirts. The only trade off to the football program from soccer...we cut the grass. A lot of the soccer coaches expect fields to be handed to them but they are not willing to do any work. I have been around to several fields in the state and I am disappointed to see some fields with lines that you can barely see or they are not even straight. If the coaches take a little more pride on the school facilities maybe then they will be able to share with football or even get their own field some day like FRA , BA. We are actually working towards this goal now to have our own field and our principal has started this project on his own without pressure from parents or coaches.

Edited by shs01

well, shs, let me just tell you first and foremost that probably the majority of public school soccer programs in tennessee wish they had that sort of relationship with their school. At Ooltewah you will never see the football coaches at a soccer game unless they have caught wind that someone is doing damage to their precious field. and as far as Ooltewah's administration possibly making a decision to do something for the team without being pressured...The TEAM was NOT ALLOWED to PRACTICE!!??!! thats how bad the situation is... the administrators would rather have no team instead of taking care of its students... its rediculous...

Edited by stayNskool

stayNskool I know exactly what you are talking about. I graduated from Lee and did some of my teacher observation at Ooltewah when the twins were there, and coach Talent was one of the assistant. The football coaches there need to understand that the field is public property built to be used by all students of the student body. The administration needs to step in and do something about it. While the sit there and let this happen to soccer, one of the best programs at your school, your team is getting upset over things that they should not have to deal with and they are not training the way they should. The best thing I heard is "get the parents to start calling" and not to stop until someone is forced to do something about it. We are with you guys...stay strong for your sport!!

well said staynskool. it will be the day when the soccer team gets a field of their own. the only chance i see of it happening is if the girl's soccer team complains because that would be under title 9 i believe(could be wrong). anyways if any girls team members are reading this then go and complain to the board so we can have somewhere to train whenever we need to without worrying about being denied access to a field.

Edited by ohsref23

i don't understand what it is with people around here. i do not think that any school gives the proper respect to soccer that it deserves. im with ooletawah(spelling?) on this one. we are always having to give up anything and everything to football. football is not in season and yet half of the time we do not get to practice on the field that is supposed to be designated as the high school field, not just the football field and we end up playing in a poorly maintained "field". maybe one day people around here will notice that soccer is just as entertaining a sport as football.