? at marion county baseball

purplenmyblood

no reply needed, but one is getting posted. obviously you know who i am, and you made it pretty obvious on who you are by your last statement. why are we fighting a losing battle? i don't think we are, and yes i will defend him to the end. with my positioning i'm not getting things second-handed, i'm in the middle of this too. i know a couple of the players' names on here and yes they have stood up for him, and no they weren't from grundy. i know of one right off the top of my head that coach roberts stayed onto pretty good all year and still got on here and defended him. players have got to understand that just because he yells at you doesn't mean anything. all he is doing is challenging you to do better. he uplifts his players when they do things right. marion county is the most spoiled place i know, i go watch games, practices, and camps in numerous, numerous places and have seen a lot worse. you brought up the parent meeting, yes there were some unhappy parents, but any involved in coaching understands you simply can not please everyone. the mountain parents were NOT the only parents that stood in his defense. it's hard not to have problems when you have parents that are suppose to be in support of MARION CO but only cheer for their child when they do good, there's something wrong with that. i love everyone of those boys and wish them the best of luck and wish they could all see equal time, but it's just not goin to happen. there was one boy who got some playing time but not a lot and maybe not as much as he should've, but his mom backed steven from day one and did not back away. why can't all of our parents be like that? i've said it before and i'll say it again, people complained when coach phillips was here because he didn't put out as much discipine as people thought, he retires (for reasons that benefited himself and his family) so we bring in coach roberts, everyone is excited we got someone who will calm the boys down and make them work even harder, what do you know, not satisfied. what's it going to take? you can't have your cake and eat it too. not one boy quit, it can't be that bad. the boys are my friends and no matter how hard he got on them, they still said that they liked him and knows what he's talking about. so yes i do have a clue on what the real deal is behind the close doors. good luck to coach ladd and coach roberts, you still have my support and backing through it all.

Thank you, Derrick

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well spoken Knob, I have been following this topic since its conception and for someone to say you are ignorant on this message board is also very mature.

Loo165 obviously has some sort of close connection to this coach roberts and somewhat of a connection to coach ladd. why, we will never know but it seems to me that he is pretty firm on believing in coach roberts and defending him to the end so you may be fighting a losing battle.

i understand that you dont really have a clue on the real deal here that you are just getting second hand stuff but aint that what rumors are all about.

it may be that you are concerned about the situation and want to get the truth on everything. but it seems like everyone has there own opinion on the topic and we all know that opinions are like rearends (everyone has one).

whether it is the truth we may never know. I dont know if we have heard from any of the marion players here but seems like they would get on here and defend their coach if they really believed that he was being wrongly accused of out of control behavior of any kind or what ever has been brought up against him. We all know that the kids from grundy county that followed coach roberts to marion after spending their childhood in tracy city or monteagle will defend him to the end. and if rumor mill has it correct,

when roberts had the mid season meetings with the parents that the only parents that had any positive to say were the parents from grundy county.

and some of the parents really had some intense discussions with him about his actions to that point in the season.(mrs thacker, mr. pickett, mr and mrs shankles.) all just rumor here but could have been more than that disagreed with his coaching style. but that goes back to the rearend thing(everyone has one ) so its yours against his and his against hers and hers against yours and so on and so on.....

But i really think it goes to the kids that put up with his coaching style and still play, if they can live with it and still go to bed at nite then good for them, it must not be that bad. but if it drives that one kid away that might have hit that winning shot, then it didnt turn out to well. but there is always gonna be those kids that just play because they love to play ball and all the yellin and screaming doesnt bother them one bit and there will always be that kid who puts up with it all year long his last year at marion and finally gets to start on senior nite. those are the kids that deserve a pat on the back.

thank you

no reply needed loo

Listen here turtle tracks ..seems to me u and knob dont know what your talking about! You want to say we dont know what we're talking about when really.. we do! The only person that doesnt is YOU! No this is not a GRUNDY COUNTY player this is a MARION COUNTY PLAYER. Dont go trying to say that the only people sticking up for these two men are GRUNDY PLAYERS and parents, because once again your WRONG. I'm from Marion County and I know for a fact my parents stood up for these two men! I'VE stood up for these two men. These are great coaches and it's people like you....your the reason Marion can't have coaches like these! Always can't be pleased!

Hopes this goes to show it's not just GRUNDY people sticking up for Coach Roberts and Coach Ladd!

Thanks for the support to you Derrick and others, I appreciate it and I know Coach Ladd does but you will never change some peoples minds especially on a board, besides its like gobble said, they like to rile up things. So lets let this be the last post from us.Many people like to hide behind a screen name just like writing anonymous letters, those people are what they are.

I usually don't respond to posts but thought I should here. To tracks, as for the connection to me and Coach Ladd of Derrick its called loyalty and character. Something we try to instill in the players we teach.

As for hearing from the Marion players I ask them not post during the season and maybe they see this for what it is. I can only say I always try to do whats best for the players. They may not agree with me all the time and neither do the parents heck not even coaches but we work through those things.

As for the kids from "Grundy following me" down here, that first says a lot I think about what I stand for and for those kids. But it also bothers me, they should not be singled out like that, they have worked hard to fit in and have made true life long friends here. However, all but 2 were already here and those 2 went to a Marion school for 9 years before coming here.

As for the meeting that was for bb parents and coaches, I will only say Mr. Shankles kept the book for us and we have had only positive conversations.

As for your last statements about the kids, I couldn't agree more to the extent they are the ones putting it on the line and living with it. Its hard for parents, fans etc to experience some things but you guys don't see the other times. We are much like a family and lord knows familys have problems but they forgive, forget and move on cause they know where each one stands. I stand behind my guys 100%, but if they need chewing they get it, if they rise to the challenge they get praise if they give it all they have and come up short they get even more encouragement, they know its not personal, I believe its my job to get more out of them than they ever imagined possible and hopefully when they look back on the experiences with me they can say I had a positive influence on there lives not in wins and losses but in character, integrity, motivation, and friendship. And about the kids that listened to the yelling all year and get to start on Sr night, they are appreciated the most and if you ask 10-15 yrs down the road will tell nothing but postive things they learned.

To close, "D" let it go, let them stick out, we will just keep pushing and working hard because the kids deserve that. To paraphrase Tom Landry, It is my job to make a group of guys do things they may not like and think they cant do to achieve the something great.

Coach Roberts