Best athlete

zing17

Guest kenwoodrun

The best ATHLETES are those who have the capacity to excel in multiple areas, which are usually (most often) your multi-event athletes. For the girls, Stewart and Davies are certainly two of the best athletes in the state, I don't think anyone can argue that. But let me mention a name: MOLLY KENNEDY. We're hearing it speculated that she may have broken the state pentathlon record yesterday held by Cassie Gullickson (for just one year)...the same record it took forever for someone to break, and that someone was the incredible Gullickson. There is no way she can be overlooked anymore. I think Stewart is still probably #1, but Molly Kennedy...she rules.

By the way, the numbers put up for Lamar Thompson...if he can keep that level up, he should be a STRONG bet to bet top 3 in the state AAA decathlon. If he can throw and vault worth anything, he'll score mucho points.

Edited by kenwoodrun

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best ATHLETES are those who have the capacity to excel in multiple areas, which are usually (most often) your multi-event athletes. For the girls, Stewart and Davies are certainly two of the best athletes in the state, I don't think anyone can argue that. But let me mention a name: MOLLY KENNEDY. We're hearing it speculated that she may have broken the state pentathlon record yesterday held by Cassie Gullickson (for just one year)...the same record it took forever for someone to break, and that someone was the incredible Gullickson. There is no way she can be overlooked anymore. I think Stewart is still probably #1, but Molly Kennedy...she rules.

By the way, the numbers put up for Lamar Thompson...if he can keep that level up, he should be a STRONG bet to bet top 3 in the state AAA decathlon. If he can throw and vault worth anything, he'll score mucho points.

Anywhere we can access the marks, coach? That is one awesome accomplishment to break Gullickson's record.

thank you there good buddy! :rolleyes: He can throw and also strong in the 1500, I have no clue about the Vault- I hope he does well- He is a good kid, and I ALWAYS pull for anybody to do well from this town- doesn't matter the school~

Lamar is definitely one of the top bets in the decathlon. He has been sub 11 in the 100, 23'1" Long Jump, 6'5" High Jump, 40'6" in Shot, 51.2 400, 15.6 110 Hurdles, 45' 5" Triple Jump, 105' Discus.

His only two sub-par events are the pole vault and the 1500, and we are trying to train him hard for these two events. If he keeps his head on straight, he could be a state champion and hopefully help us compete for a team championship.

Edited by BCHStrack1

Guest kenwoodrun

I tell you another thing that may bolster Thompson's chances...the Nashville region is absolutely HORRIFIC in the decathlon this year. Champion scored 5400. That's it. And the fantastic kids from Melrose have been in some well documented trouble, so the Memphis section may be a bit crippled, too.

Lamar is definitely one of the top bets in the decathlon.  He has been sub 11 in the 100, 23'1" Long Jump, 6'5" High Jump, 40'6" in Shot, 51.2 400, 15.6 110 Hurdles, 45' 5" Triple Jump, 105' Discus.

His only two sub-par events are the pole vault and the 1500, and we are trying to train him hard for these two events.  If he keeps his head on straight, he could be a state champion and hopefully help us compete for a team championship.

I'd hate to break it to you, but if he can't vault and run the 1500, he is going to be at best third in the state.(case in point: Carl Stewart of Maryville.) Vaulting is so extremely imporant and the decathalon is often won or lost in the 1500. At the AAA dec. this week at Jeff. Co., it was won on the 1500. The guy who was winning was only able to obtain a time of 5:38 and he lost. But even more important is the pole vault. HUGE points are won and lost there. And those two events that take a whole bunch of TIME and TRAINING. SO he must be able to do both to even be in contention.

And another thing: those are good marks, but you rarely see a PR in decathalons. You can go a whole dec. and never get one PR. Can he run a 51.2 400M after a whole day of jumping, running, and throwing? He probably won't touch ANY of those marks in the decathalon.

Edited by BHSfootball

Guest kenwoodrun
But even more important is the pole vault. HUGE points are won and lost there. And those two events that take a whole bunch of TIME and TRAINING. SO he must be able to do both to even be in contention.

I'm not sure I completey agree, Bearden. You can certainly steal several points if you are very good in the vault, but this is the one event on the point tables that tends to equalize people. I mean, 10' 6" only gets you 400 points here. And a difference of two feet (say, one guy at 9' and another at 11') looks like a big difference to me...but only nets 140 or so points difference. I know, 140 pts is make or break at state, but it seems like if you beat a guy by 2 ft. in the vault, you should outscore him by more than a measley 140. I'd be REALLY proud of my decathlon guys (and we've had a guy at state 4 yrs in a row until this year) if they went 10' 6"...to get an equivalant number of points in the high hurdles, you only have to run 19.1. So the point table in the PV definitely is the harshest in terms of points. I don't know, I may have proved your point better than I did my own :justwrestle:

You are right about that 1500m being magnified greatly...30 seconds difference in a 1500m is good for 200+ pts if I remember right. You are also right about noboby hitting all their best marks in the multis, but it is very common to hit for one or two big PRs out of the 10 because you are so focused on your events and at a normal invitational your mind can be on relays and other distractions...

The 1500 and PV will be Lamar's weakest events but even then he will be better at those than last year and he is so much improved at long jump (high 22's verses in the 20's last year) and high jump (6'4 vrs 5 something last year). His 400 times has improved a couple of seconds and his hurdles time is much better. He's decent at the throws, but the jumps (LJ, TJ, and even HJ) are his strenghs and the running events other than the 1500 are kind to him to. The key for Lamar is ATTITUDE. If he goes wanting to compete, wanting to win, giving it his all, then that attitude will be worth 500 easy points to him verses if he just shows up. He's got the talent. I wish him the best of luck.