Lewis County and Region 5-2a

pantherman

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Francis, I think that I got one for you. You seem to know high school football very well so maybe you can tell me what player(s) out of every team in Region 6-4A in 1997 started the most career college football games? The teams then included: Pearl-Cohn, Springfield, Maplewood, Whites Creek, Stratford, Beech, Kenwood (which was in it's very first year), Clarksville, and Cheatham County. This is one that even I did not know was correct.

My guess would be Mike Jackson, Cheatham co., UT martin. Started as a soph. and played some as a Frosh?

That is one of the right answers. MJ started 3 games as a freshman and every game afterwards. He finished his playing career with 39 career starts. John Henderson also started 39 college games. He played three twelve game seasons as the starting defensive tackle at Tennessee and he also played in 3 bowl games. Henderson is an obvious answer, but I certainly didn't think that you would get Jackson.

I didn't think to factor in Hendersons bowl games.

I really don't know if I would be calling Cheatham and/or Harpeth "nobodys". I will grant you that some teams in this region are a JOKE. I will not mention any names, but I will say that the top 4 teams to make the playoffs are pretty much a given.

That region is pitiful. When was the last time the top 4 teams in that region won more than 1 playoff game combined? No on has advanced past the second round in the last 10 years be sides Harpeth (maybe 3 years ago) and maybe Fairview once (when they had Cothran). Lewis gets ripped every year in the first or second round. They go 10-0 playing in a poor region and scheduling a few weak sisters like Giles and Lawrenceburg. Then they get crashed back to reality. If they want to get more respect they are gonna have to win a few games that matter in the playoffs and quite frankly, they won't because they never are prepared for tough opponents because of a soft regular season schedule.

Thats my point. Playoff success never happens for this region. The only team that attempts to play non-region oponents that are good is Cheatham (BGA, Sycamore, others). Lewis county started this thread so I was giving my opinion about why they never fair well in the playoffs. THEY PLAY NO ONE! 10-0 ain't much if it is againist inferior competition.