Alcoa Impressive in Scrimmages

TnVols23

WesVols...

Jumping to Conclusions, eh? Well maybe someones getting a little worried over there. :D

TnVols, I didn't jump to conclusions; I responded to your post with a legitimate question. You said Alcoa had a chance to win all 10 games, so I asked if you thought they had a shot at Maryville (to win all ten games, they would have to beat the Rebels). I wasn't assuming anything...just asking you a question. Why would I be worried about Alcoa beating Maryville anyway? I'm a Brentwood Academy alum who just moved into Maryville and am interested in the football scene. Hence my question.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TNVols23 just for your information I was impressed with the Alcoa team that I saw @ the scrimmage in Athens last week againist McMinn & Chatt. Central. Alcoa was big, fast and seemed to be a well coached football team, and I am sure they will have a successful '04 season. Now let me rain on your parade. I guess you did not realize this but McMinn was playing without their starting RB,TE,WB,WR,OT and on deffense FS,both corner backs and 2 LB's. Not to mention the starting QB went out with a knee injury in the first series and a freshman stepped in that has never played the position before. So, yes Alcoa did look good but consider the competition. It would be like having several 2nd & 3rd teamers playing againist an opponets 1st team. This is not any kind of excuse for McMinn's poor performance just the matter of some facts.

No excuses!!! I did not pay much attention to the Alcoa -vs- Chatt. Central part of the scrimmage. Remember TnVols23 talk is cheap but it is really cheap in the spring. Most teams are experimenting with different players and formations to see exactly what the make up of that particular team will be come August. I was impressed with Alcoa and I am certain they will have a chance to compete with Maryville.

Alcoa's best chance of beating Maryville will be in 2005.

Maryville's offensive line had their way with Alcoa last year. All those guys for Maryville return. MHS returns 8 starters on offense. MHS returns 6 on defense.

MHS will be too deep for Alcoa this season. In the 3rd quarter the Alcoa kids will have their hands on their hips and sucking wind because the majority of their players play both ways.MHS only has a few that play both ways.

I hope Alcoa wins it all in 2A. You guys will have my support to win it all in 2A.

Alcoa will be better this year than last year. Maryville will be also. Maryville's offensive line should be their most physical line since 1998. This game as usual should be huge, and more evenly matched than the past few years.

In regards to the scrimmages the other teams may have had key players missing due to springs sports injuries or whatever. But that being said Alcoa will be the real deal for the next two years. The upcoming Junior class will be as strong as most senior classes at other schools because most of them have been starters since they were freshmen and rarely do that many freshmen start.

I think Alcoa turned the corner in about week five of last season. After early losses to Oliver Springs, Maryville and William Blount they went on a roll and made it to the semi finals and even though they got thumped pretty good they will be better for it in the long run.

I expect them to make a serious run for Murfreesboro this year and next and realistically do not see anyone in their region touching them for the next two years.

Of course I could be wrong. I am a boneheaded Maryville fan. :D

As I read these posts, I see people talkin about Maryville's returning seniors and all this other stuff yallare saying and all i have to say is Alcoa only had 7 seniors on the team last year and only 4-5 of them started. The Alcoa team was a Sophomore/Freshmen led team and they still managed to make it to the semi-finals. The offensive line at Alcoa this year will consist of juniors at tackles and sophomores at the two gaurds and the center position. The offense at Alcoa will be a tough one to stop with a kid like Dustin Lindsey, who Power Cleans like 255, Squats like 405, benches 245 and dead lifts 500 running the ball. The defense does NOT need Bart Hicks because Dante Lewis, an upcoming seniors whocame to us from Maryville stepped up and plays it better than Bart did. Given, Bart Hicks is an extraordinary player, we do not need him. So, for all you Boneheaded Maryville Rebel Fans, watch your mouth, because i believe a Tornado is going to come through and tear your place up this year.

MarshPitManiac on TnVols23's s/n. (he one of my best friends) and yes i am a part of the Alcoa team. I may even start at OG. #60 i am coming for the rebels BABY!!!

so you are saying that the same team that got blown out by maryville and william blount will be on the field again this year except you lost the region defensive player of the year in your region? 8-2 and you will win your region. you are a good 2A team just face it.

You know i could really care less how many of your linemen are Sophomores or Juniors. How big are they? Can they play? How much do they bench? We beat you guys 23-0 last year and it really was not that close. Take away two fumbles inside the ten and a blocked punt for a touchdown called back on a penalty and it would have been really ugly. The problem Alcoa has with Maryville every year among other things is size, strength and depth up front. I don't care if Dustin Lindsey walks around carrying a volkswagen on his back for grins and giggles if there are 4 or 5 defenders in the backfield with him as soon as he touches the ball (like there were last year) it ain't really going to matter. Whether you care or not this upcoming senior class at Maryville is a good one. they went undefeated as freshmen and averaged 50 points a game. they are currently 28-1 as varsity players. So yeah i think our returning starters matter.

As I read these posts, I see people talkin about Maryville's returning seniors and all this other stuff yallare saying and all i have to say is Alcoa only had 7 seniors on the team last year and only 4-5 of them started. The Alcoa team was a Sophomore/Freshmen led team and they still managed to make it to the semi-finals. The offensive line at Alcoa this year will consist of juniors at tackles and sophomores at the two gaurds and the center position. The offense at Alcoa will be a tough one to stop with a kid like Dustin Lindsey, who Power Cleans like 255, Squats like 405, benches 245 and dead lifts 500 running the ball. The defense does NOT need Bart Hicks because Dante Lewis, an upcoming seniors whocame to us from Maryville stepped up and plays it better than Bart did. Given, Bart Hicks is an extraordinary player, we do not need him. So, for all you Boneheaded Maryville Rebel Fans, watch your mouth, because i believe a Tornado is going to come through and tear your place up this year.

MarshPitManiac on TnVols23's s/n. (he one of my best friends) and yes i am a part of the Alcoa team. I may even start at OG. #60 i am coming for the rebels BABY!!!

To all you Maryville players that read these posts .... simply "copy" the message below, open up your word processor, hit "paste", and you've got some great material to put up on your bulletin boards. Be sure and highlight with a yellow marker at the bottom the number "60".

I'm not sure Bart is on Coach T, so I'll make a copy and take to him for his locker.