Watched Maryville in passing drills last Tuesday

REBELRON

I watched the Maryville players throw and catch tuesday night. The freshmen went 1st at 7:00. Brent Burnett has a cannon for an arm. He is already 6'3 175lbs and can throw a ball 65yds in the air. He has a chance to be a great player. Johnny Wiggins,Nick Shields,Travis Webb,Aaron Douglas,Steven Shiver,Philip Cooper and Jordan Housley will be very good players. The upcoming freshmen team will be loaded with skill players. I expect big things from this freshmen group. I expect MLREB to give us Rebel fans the freshmen report again.He will also give the JR Varsity report and gives us reports on all the youth league games in Maryville.

The varsity came in at 7:45. Cade Thompson put on a clinic. He will be a D1 recruit. Derek Hunt has improved his arm strength. He threw the ball well. Kat Kimsey is a much improved receiver. Tyler Maples will be a star. Ryan Reiser and Steven Childs look real good. Maryville is loaded at wideout.

I couldn't help to notice how huge Ryan Tallent's legs are. They look like tree trunks. I expect a big year out of Ryan Tallent. Adrian Baker is huge. Ryan Singleton has put on some muscle also.

I was talking to one of the players dad the other day. This guy told me that the coaching staff was telling him that Maryville has the best 4 classes that they ever had at one time. Maryville is loaded for bear this year. The MOWest playoff loss left a bad taste in their mouth.

FBEmeritus and other Rebel fans. What are your opinions?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious guys, but I have a little brother who is 12 years old and we are thinking about getting him in the Maryville football program. However; sign ups aren't very "public" they are very quiet and considering my family is more baseball orientated we don't really know how to get him into it? Who are some of the better coaches, any information would be helpful!? My little brother seems like he might make a good football player, i've let him try to form tackle me (while I just stand) and I am 6'2" 160lbs, and he can give me a pretty good jolt. He's a little slow, but I think that he can grow into it, he needs some muscle and such and I think that football will be good for him. Thanks!

Thanks for your up lifting comments rebel1978. Quite frankly I could care less about Halls, Maryville, Powell, or any other school that is involved. My comment was not to be taken as a negative attack against Maryville. Maryville has an upstanding young coach, a terrific educational system, and a community that is rabid about their football.

My comment was directed at parents who think more about their kids athletic careers and less about what moving a student from his home could do. That is what is wrong with the business world today--don't like the company you work for, instead of helping rebuild, just pick up and move. We all know its about me. That's a great message to send to a 14 year old and all the kids you coached in a community. Hey kids remember when I told you we would be good if we worked hard and played for the name on the front of the jersey not the back---I meant until my son get a better deal and we move.

Again I apologize if I offended the Maryville Masses. I hope (for the son's sake) he is successful and enjoys his high school career.

I play for maryville's freshmen team. Brent is lookin really good. He does have a cannon and his speed is not bad. I think he will end up being a really good QB for maryville. Only problem i see with him right now is him learning where to put the ball on our deep routes but he seems to be catching on pretty quick. I think our team will have a good year.

Reb Wrestler,

Thanks for the low down on Burnett - Is there a pass rush or is he throwing against air? I have heard the kid has a chance to be good, but will the dad let the kid learn from GQ or has the dad parlayed this into a coaching job for himself?

Volunteer coaching that is?

:rolleyes:;);)

Reb Wrestler,

Thanks for the low down on Burnett - Is there a pass rush or is he throwing against air?  I have heard the kid has a chance to be good, but will the dad let the kid learn from GQ or has the dad parlayed this into a coaching job for himself?

Volunteer coaching that is?

:rolleyes:  ;)  ;)

Interesting comments msgov. It would be nice if you expanded on your post.

I have had the chance to observe Burnett a couple of times and he does have a strong arm. Let me assure you that the freshman QB job is not a guarantee. Currently there are two QB's with tons of potential that will battle Burnett for the position. Steve Shiver has a similar type arm and his footwork and accuracy is much better than Burnett's. Steven is also much more athletic. The good/bad for Steven as for playing the QB position is that he can play several positions. At 6'2" and 175 and still growing he may end up as a wideout or even a DB or DE. Steven is and has always been a big hitter with good speed.

The other Freshman QB is Johnny Weigands. Johnny has been one of the top QB's to ever go through the Maryville youth league system. An example of his abilities was exhibited last year. As an QB on the 8th grade team Johnny was 15 for 18 with 5 td's and 1 2-pt conversion for 319 yards, and -0- int's. Not too bad for a middle schooler. Johnny's main challenge will be to improve his arm strength. He is very smart and will handle a complicated Maryville system with ease.

I have had a couple of chances to watch Brunett and there is no doubt his arm strength is very good. He appears to be lacking in the other intangables of quarterbacking. Footwork and throwing motion needs work but I can assure you he is at the right place to learn.

Maryville's offense will also be a challenge for all three of the freshman QB's. A large portion of the pass game is based on reads. If you are good at reconizing and reacting to the defensive sets then your chances to excell in the Maryville system will multiply greatly. If not then you better be very athletic and able to create from the QB potition ala Alex Rouse. A successful Maryville QB must be able reconize and react. Correct check-offs and knowing which receiver will be open base on the defensive scheme in front of him is a must.

I suspect Brunett will do fine at MHS but I can assure you it's not a slam dunk for him. Mr Wigands will have his say before it's over and expect a very athletic Shiver to push for that position.

Remember though this is JMO.

Edited by MLREB

MLREB

I agree with your post. The upcoming freshmen class will have 3 very good quarterbacks. Shiver could be a very good quarterback but I want him at receiver. Shiver will be another Scot Wilks/Alex Rouse type player but he will be 6'5 or 6'6 one day.

Wiggins will be a good quarterback. He is more elusive than Burnett and Shiver.

Burnett will be a good quarterback. He has a rocket.

I am glad that all 3 quarterbacks are Rebels.

Quarles said that he likes Burnett but the new kid he really likes is Aaron Douglas. He thinks Douglas will be a D1 player one day.

Athletes are plentiful in this freshmen class.

MLREB is on the money about quarterbacks making reads. Cade is very good at making correct reads. Jason Phillips was the best at making the quick reads out of Maryvilles offense. Jason was a coach on the field during his playing days. Now he is a traitor coaching at another county school :rolleyes: I expect big things out of Derek Hunt also.

I believe msgov is mad at Mr. Burnette?

Glad you mentioned the Douglas youngster - he TRANSFERRED from Webb School. His dad and Burnett's dad are close friends. They both played in the youth leagues at Halls last year - my hubbie says this is the calf and cow syndrome, you take the calf to get the cow. We must guess on which one is the calf and which is the cow (and that reference is not mean't to mean skill position or line position).

Has Burnett's dad positioned himself for a volunteer coaching job yet?

:rolleyes:;);)

Not to get away from the farm talk, but does anyone have an update on the Rebelron's Red Rebel Breastfast Club meetin' at the Midland Greasy Spoon. Substitute host Rebel '78 attempted to carry water fer Rebelron today in his absence, at least that's what I heared.

Git R Dunn.

825 Lawrence.

Go Rebs.