Best teams that didn't win State Title

REBELRON

Manzikert, I'll back up your statement. What a legendary game -- my favorite BA game ever. The game was tied 10-10 going into overtime, and both teams scored touchdowns in the first OT. Then MBA got the ball and BA forced a FG. The Eagles drove to the 1 yard line on 4th down, and Flatt decided to go for the win. Tito Lee plunged through the MBA line and into the end zone for the victory.

One correction, though -- it was actually the state quarterfinals. BA beat Germantown 17-6 the following week before lambasting Jefferson County 28-7 in the Clinic Bowl.

MBA had a fine team that year. What a game it was.

1996 MBA team. Best ever not to win a state title.

That game in the quarters with BA was for the 5A title. Most people will tell you that. A great game that could have really gone either way. Unfortunately for me, I was on the field for the losing team. Correction for WesVols, Tito didn't score on 4th down. It was either 2nd or 3rd. The play before, Kursten got the ball down to the one yard line on a sweep to the left side(on which he fumbled into the endzone, which should have resulted in a touchback, but that's another story for another day). Wes, you've got a pretty good memory of that game, though, considering you must have been only about 11 or 12 years old. :P

Manzikert, I'll back up your statement.  What a legendary game -- my favorite BA game ever.  The game was tied 10-10 going into overtime, and both teams scored touchdowns in the first OT.  Then MBA got the ball and BA forced a FG.  The Eagles drove to the 1 yard line on 4th down, and Flatt decided to go for the win.  Tito Lee plunged through the MBA line and into the end zone for the victory.

One correction, though -- it was actually the state quarterfinals.  BA beat Germantown 17-6 the following week before lambasting Jefferson County 28-7 in the Clinic Bowl.

MBA had a fine team that year.  What a game it was.

That game in the quarters with BA was for the 5A title. Most people will tell you that. A great game that could have really gone either way. Unfortunately for me, I was on the field for the losing team. Correction for WesVols, Tito didn't score on 4th down. It was either 2nd or 3rd. The play before, Kursten got the ball down to the one yard line on a sweep to the left side(on which he fumbled into the endzone, which should have resulted in a touchback, but that's another story for another day). Wes, you've got a pretty good memory of that game, though, considering you must have been only about 11 or 12 years old. <_<

Well, you'd know the down since you were on the field...though I could've sworn it was fourth down, you're probably right. I was a BA 6th-grader at the time...spellbound by everything at Brentwood Academy, especially the football team. I could tell you the final scores of most of the games that year.

Another thing that made that play special was that we were sitting right beside Tito's mom. I got one of the most joyful hugs ever when he ran it in. :angry:

Manzikert, I'll back up your statement.  What a legendary game -- my favorite BA game ever.  The game was tied 10-10 going into overtime, and both teams scored touchdowns in the first OT.  Then MBA got the ball and BA forced a FG.  The Eagles drove to the 1 yard line on 4th down, and Flatt decided to go for the win.  Tito Lee plunged through the MBA line and into the end zone for the victory.

One correction, though -- it was actually the state quarterfinals.  BA beat Germantown 17-6 the following week before lambasting Jefferson County 28-7 in the Clinic Bowl.

MBA had a fine team that year.  What a game it was.

That game in the quarters with BA was for the 5A title. Most people will tell you that. A great game that could have really gone either way. Unfortunately for me, I was on the field for the losing team. Correction for WesVols, Tito didn't score on 4th down. It was either 2nd or 3rd. The play before, Kursten got the ball down to the one yard line on a sweep to the left side(on which he fumbled into the endzone, which should have resulted in a touchback, but that's another story for another day). Wes, you've got a pretty good memory of that game, though, considering you must have been only about 11 or 12 years old. <_<

Well, you'd know the down since you were on the field...though I could've sworn it was fourth down, you're probably right. I was a BA 6th-grader at the time...spellbound by everything at Brentwood Academy, especially the football team. I could tell you the final scores of most of the games that year.

Another thing that made that play special was that we were sitting right beside Tito's mom. I got one of the most joyful hugs ever when he ran it in. :angry:

I'm almost positive it was third down. I am 100% postive it wasnt fourth, though. Maybe I'll dig out the tape and verify, although that will be painful.

One team everyone is leaving off the list is the 1993 Marion County Warriors. They were upset by Kingston in the playoffs that year I believe 7-6. The class that came in as frehman in 1992 went 56-1 during their high school career. This loss in 93 was the only blemish on their record in 4 years of high school 92= 15-0 AA state champs, 93= 11-1 lost to Kigston, 94 = 15-0 AAA state champs and 95= 15-0 AAA state champs. The 93 Warriors were probably the best team in East TN that year b/c McMinn Central made it to the finals and Marion drubbed them during the regular season. Some folks say the 93 team was more talented than the 92 or 94 team just did not get it done at Kingston that Friday night.