1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A- What's the difference?

AERoadrunners

Sure, there are cases where a small school can play with a big school, but for an across the board average, this just isnt the case. The big school has a larger pool to get their players from, not to mention the depth. Its common sense. Go watch a football game at Blackman. Look at the size, build, and atleticism of the ninety standing on the sidelines when 11 are on the field. Fresh legs and one way starters and backups will pound your team.

Edited by carguy59

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2004 at 10:19 PM, AERoadrunners said:

Now in College the difference would be money. Do you really think the fans would come to that game? I don't think so. UT wouldn't schedule somebody like that.

AE has 2 or 3 players that plays both ways but I don't think playing both ways the whole game will wear anybody down. A lot of teams no matter their classification might have 2 or 3 players that plays both ways. But I get the point. I just wanted to hear what everybody thought. This is good. I'm getting a lot of opinions. I still think any small A school could compete with any Big A school year in and year out. Hey, AE played Independence in NC. They got stomp but that team was the #1 team in the Nation when AE played them.

Dont forget wear and tear. Your theory could hold water if you had no injuries , nagging or permanent. For example... MARYVILLE has approximately 90 players between 10 ,11&12 grades.  They 22 starters for O & D. Then they have about 12 more that rotate in throughout the game and only on 1 side of the ball.  Take an avg 3A / 4A team that has approx 50 players and 15 starters and maybe 3 in rotation ... maybe.  There is no way that those smaller A teams could run the gauntlet of Maryville s schedule and win more than 25% because of fatigue and injury. The #s dont lie.  Example #2 Alcoa is 3A and they have approx 80 players +/-. They have avgd 1 win against MARYVILLE every 8 1/2 - 10 yrs.  They have the #s but they dont normally have the 2nd tier #s ready and they wear down. But the run through the rest of 3A because they just out match them across the board. Wear and tear. 

1 hour ago, BigStickDiplomacy said:

I don't feel like reading all of this but the obviously the A's are for enrollment. 

Participants do not equal players. 

Players are sometimes born but most often are developed.

Coaching is huge.

Most good/great coaches go where they get paid the most or where they can ride some talent to a better paying job.

Or they stay for 18 - 20 yrs and build a program. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to see the TSSAA go back to 5 classes, never happen, but I would like to see it.  I think we had it right in 2005 with that. Also, I think there are too many rounds and teams in the playoffs, too many teams get in that are weak and get killed in the early rounds.  I think 4 rounds are enough, but alas, its money....

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2004 at 1:15 PM, AERoadrunners said:

Why? Tell me why?

On 7/3/2004 at 12:30 PM, AERoadrunners said:

What's the difference? It may be shocking to some to find out that school enrollment is the only difference in the A's. How come many people think a 3A school couldn't compete or beat a 4A or 5A school? I just don't understand why you all make the A's the reason why an upper A could just cake walk over a smaller A. Don't use that as an excuse. Football is Football and there's a small difference in sizes of the players but the skills of a smaller A could be just as good or better then a big A. It may be a difference in the number of players on the sidelines but not the size, speed, and ability.

Someone please explain to me why the A is the reason why you think your team could beat a smaller A.

The difference is the amount of kids you have to choose from. Many more athletes in the bigger schools to choose from. 

• 3 years later...

The biggest reason I can think of is dollars. a 5A school has a much larger student base thus a larger Alumni. Alumni dollars are what brings the talent. By talent I mean the coaches. Winning coaches don't work at the 1 A level because the 1A can't afford them. Then again Scott Frost might be available soon! It's all about dollars. Bigger, better programs attract the talented athletes especially those who are trying to go pro.

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2004 at 1:30 PM, AERoadrunners said:

What's the difference? It may be shocking to some to find out that school enrollment is the only difference in the A's. How come many people think a 3A school couldn't compete or beat a 4A or 5A school? I just don't understand why you all make the A's the reason why an upper A could just cake walk over a smaller A. Don't use that as an excuse. Football is Football and there's a small difference in sizes of the players but the skills of a smaller A could be just as good or better then a big A. It may be a difference in the number of players on the sidelines but not the size, speed, and ability.

Someone please explain to me why the A is the reason why you think your team could beat a smaller A.

Pretty much all 6A schools will beat any 1A or 2A football team. 

On 9/12/2022 at 6:29 AM, NickNackPaddyWack said:

The biggest reason I can think of is dollars. a 5A school has a much larger student base thus a larger Alumni. Alumni dollars are what brings the talent. By talent I mean the coaches. Winning coaches don't work at the 1 A level because the 1A can't afford them. Then again Scott Frost might be available soon! It's all about dollars. Bigger, better programs attract the talented athletes especially those who are trying to go pro.

Peabody being the exception to this? 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...