1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A- What's the difference?

AERoadrunners

What's the difference? It may be shocking to some to find out that school enrollment is the only difference in the A's. How come many people think a 3A school couldn't compete or beat a 4A or 5A school? I just don't understand why you all make the A's the reason why an upper A could just cake walk over a smaller A. Don't use that as an excuse. Football is Football and there's a small difference in sizes of the players but the skills of a smaller A could be just as good or better then a big A. It may be a difference in the number of players on the sidelines but not the size, speed, and ability.

Someone please explain to me why the A is the reason why you think your team could beat a smaller A.

Edited by AERoadrunners

CPA had a great 1A team last year. Riverdale had a great 5A team last year. Those two teams met up and it wasn't even close. A game between Riverdale and a 3A school would be a bit closer, but not really. There's a HUGE difference. Not so much between classes that bump up next to each other (1A-2A... 4A-5A... etc), but once you start jumping gaps, there's big differences. There's strength in numbers and the higher the classification, normally the more numbers. This means less going both sides of the field and things like that. That's just the way it is.

Thanks for your input but I still think any team could compete with any team no matter the Class A size. That's just my opinion. D1 and D2 schools, well we know that a D2 School could beat a D1 school it's vary rare but it's possible and it can happen-Hint Hint ask Alabama about that one!

Football is Football no matter the A size!

There are a few teams that can compete with larger schools. I think your question has already been answered. Larger schools have more athletes. That's not to say all larger schools are good...some are not. Riverdale, Lincoln, Dickson, DB, Science Hill, Germantown, Oakland, Oak Ridge, and a few others...year in and year out...would pound smaller schools including yours.

Edited by Antwan

AE, I assume you support the roadrunners which could skew your view about the differences. AE has the great equalizer, speed, speed, and more speed. Most teams that play against schools in higher classifications run into the problem that they simply can't cover everybody. Smaller schools in general (not all) lack the depth of larger schools. Take nothing away from individual kids that play for A or AA schools. But TEAMS from smaller classifications usually fight with one hand behind their back. Even your school would have a problem playing a 5A powerhouse like Riverdale or Germantown. Their size in the line would cause serious problems for your team. Could you beat one of these teams on any given Friday? Yes, but your school is in the minority. Plus imagine what would happen if AE played in a Riverdale's or Germantown's region. The series record of the years would be in favor of the 5A schools. Just a thought

like everyone else is saying, there is a HUGE diff...the best team in div. 2A may not stand a chance against a decent team in 5A, its all in who all u have to pick from, if all u ahve at one school is 300 ppl, 60 are football players, what are the chances of them being good? ok now take a school with 2000 and pick about 80, now better chance b.c more varitey, and more money in general go into the schools.