1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A- What's the difference?

AERoadrunners

Here is somthing to remember.

Melrose dominated 3A football in the late 90s. Melrose has not won a single state title since they went to 4a.They have had talent. Melrose had 5 players sign D1 scholarships off their team last year. Melrose has found out that there is a lot of difference in playing Covington and Page than there is in playing Memphis East and Hillsboro.

Here is somthing to remember.

Melrose dominated 3A football in the late 90s. Melrose has not won a single state title since they went to 4a.They have had talent. Melrose had 5 players sign D1 scholarships off their team last year. Melrose has found out that there is a lot of difference in playing Covington and Page than there is in playing Memphis East and Hillsboro.

So with that saying, that means when Maryville moves up to 5A they'll be struggling too? They're dominating 4A, so I'm listening. Uh oh, what have I started now :P

I agree,I have no doubt the Maryvill would compete in 5A. I don`t think they will have close to the same success they have at the 4A level.

There's not a tremendous difference in one class up. 1a and 2a, 2a and 3a, 3a and 4a, 4a and 5a. However two classes up is a bigger jump. 1a to 5a...there's no comparison. Good 5a teams will pound good 1a teams almost every time. I think the Riverdale/CPA game proved that last year. The same will happen this year also. I don't think AE or Fulton could compete with Riverdale and other very good 5a teams either.

RebelRon,

You said it yourself along with others, no team that makes a jump to a different Classicfication will have the same success as they did in the other classification they are coming from. But a lot of people are saying Maryville will have the same success, why is that?

Also, you all are making it seem like Riverdale is the best team in Tennessee. No one is afraid to play Riverdale, I know if Riverdale wanted one of the teams that you all mention their coach would be calling. Coach Stevens opens his door to any challenge and he won't back down so if Riverdale wants some of AE or Fulton, call Coach Stevens(AE) or Coach Coatney(Fulton), they won't back down!

RebelRon,

You said it yourself along with others, no team that makes a jump to a different Classicfication will have the same success as they did in the other classification they are coming from. But a lot of people are saying Maryville will have the same success, why is that?

Also, you all are making it seem like Riverdale is the best team in Tennessee. No one is afraid to play Riverdale, I know if Riverdale wanted one of the teams that you all mention their coach would be calling. Coach Stevens opens his door to any challenge and he won't back down so if Riverdale wants some of AE or Fulton, call Coach Stevens(AE) or Coach Coatney(Fulton), they won't back down!

Why would Riverdale play AE or Fulton? They have nothing to prove in playing 3a schools especially that far away. It is a no win situation for them. I think if they were going to play any 3a schools it would be in middle tennessee.

AERoadrunners

Melrose isn't struggling.I never said they were. They have been very good. They are playing Hillsboro in the semifinals instead of Page. Big difference there.

Maryville would do fine in 5A. I know it will be harder to win a championship in 5A most of the time. I never said that Maryville would waltz to the 5A championship. I think 4A in East and West Tennessee can compete with 5A in East Tennessee and West Tennessee. The biggest gap is in Middle Tennessee. Middle Tennessee 5A is real tough. Riverdale,Lincoln County,Brentwood,Franklin,Smyrna,Hendersonville,Oakland and Laverne are real tough teams. Middle Tennessee 5A schools along with the Super 7 is the toughest area for football.

I agree with gator and JC4life.

What I argued about in the past is when people said that 15-20 teams in 5A would have whipped Maryville.

Again AERoadrunners. Fulton and AE can compete with the Riverdales,Maryvilles,Hillsboro's but I believe most years those schools will have better teams than AE or Fulton. Riverdale and Hillsboro have the same kind of speed that AE or Fulton has. Maryville is not slow by any means but I know that AE,Fulton,Riverdale and Hillsboro will have more speed.

AE,you are on here doing the same thing you said a few post ago that you weren`t trying to do. Trying to gain respect for AE,or maybe 3A as a whole.Then you call out Riverdale,like playing them will make AE the best team in the state,or to prove that your not afraid.So admit it,the real reason you started this thread was to try to gain the respect for AE/3A,and to show that 3A is just as good as 5A.IT ISN`T GOING TO HAPPEN! Do you really think that there is no difference between 5A and 1A,4A and 2A?Come on, you don`t even belive that yourself.

The deadline to move up and play up is still open AE you say your coach isn't afraid of anyone I say he is because if he wasn't he would jump at the chance to play at the highest and overall best level. (a few and I mean a few 4a teams could move up and play consistently well in 5a Hillsboro, Maryville etc but anybody that thinks there is no difference as you say is not even credible.

You say coach stevens opens his door to any challenge????????

Except moving up and playing with the big boys because it is easier to just talk about it than to do it! Why should Riverdale have to call to play down in classs when your coach can play the highest level of competition week after week just by turning in the appropriate forms to play up. It's not hard at all but once again it won't happen.

end of story

Talent wise I don't think that classification matters because most all schools have talented athletes. But where I think it does matter is more students go to a 5A school than a 1A school. That leads to a higher chance at having more talent because there are more students to choose from.