1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A- What's the difference?

AERoadrunners

Truth be told Maryville will compete in 5A next year. AE would be a factor in any division any year. They are not just fast their well coached and keep great defenses. The last couple of years AE has an improved weight system. The kids have bought into how important the weight program is. This summer workouts they had over 70 players there everyday. I can say the same for Fulton, Maryville, Anderson County and Central. All these teams can compete at any levels. On the whole I don't think 1A,2A, 3A schools could beat 5A. But in each division there are teams that can compete state wide (Ezell Harding (1A), Chatt Tyner (2A), Alcoa (2A), Limpscomb (2A), etc. etc.) What these teams would have to understand is the competition would be tougher week in week out. Remember a couple of years ago Anderson County (3A) beat Oak Ridge (5A).

AE,you are on here doing the same thing you said a few post ago that you weren`t trying to do. Trying to gain respect for AE,or maybe 3A as a whole.Then you call out Riverdale,like playing them will make AE the best team in the state,or to prove that your not afraid.So admit it,the real reason you started this thread was to try to gain the respect for AE/3A,and to show that 3A is just as good as 5A.IT ISN`T GOING TO HAPPEN! Do you really think that there is no difference between 5A and 1A,4A and 2A?Come on, you don`t even belive that yourself.

JC, I will call out anyone I feel like calling out. I did not start this thread to put AE or 3A teams on the map. I wanted to hear everybody opinions and that's what happen. You guys are just making it seem like Riverdale is the best in the state and I just don't see that. Who cares if they're 5A I wouldn't label them the best in the state. Yes I said that AE could compete with any team but what team couldn't compete. Like I said before, Football is Football and the players are the players. Some players may be better in 3A or 4A some may weight more in 5A but I can betcha one thing, it's still a game with the same type of football being played.

JC, I will call out anyone I feel like calling out. I did not start this thread to put AE or 3A teams on the map. I wanted to hear everybody opinions and that's what happen. You guys are just making it seem like Riverdale is the best in the state and I just don't see that. Who cares if they're 5A I wouldn't label them the best in the state. Yes I said that AE could compete with any team but what team couldn't compete. Like I said before, Football is Football and the players are the players. Some players may be better in 3A or 4A some may weight more in 5A but I can betcha one thing, it's still a game with the same type of football being played.

Riverdale...year in and year out...is as good or better than anyone in the state. Their record speaks for itself. The only teams that would challenge them are possibly MBA or BA. I think they are definitley the team to beat in 5a this year. Who is the best team if they are not (besides DII AAA privates)?

Yep, You are correct Roadrunner. Football is football and any 11 could compete with any 11 on any given day................HOGWASH and BOLOGNA. Although there are probably a handfull of of 5A you put a whippin on every year ( Warren Co.), there is a greater percentage in 5A that would destroy you year in and year out. By the same token, the University of Tennessee's freshman squad would demolish every high school program in the state and the bench players for the Titans would handle Tennessee just as easily. Just be satisfied with being one of the top programs in 3A for now. There are plenty of teams right there who are pretty competitive for you to want some of Riverdale. What a joke.

Edited by imallin

I agree with most of yall on here about numbers being the difference maker. Coming from a small, 2a school and playing Maryville every year seems to be the reason they win almost every year. Ask any Maryville player or fan and they will tell you that talent wise, Alcoa probably has more, but the fourth quarter is where it's won. Maryville dominates the 4th quarter, and that's because other teams are worn down from playing both ways. I'm not downing the talent, coaches or anyone one else in 4a or Maryville, but size and numbers is the answer to your question AE!!

I don't know if Alcoa has better overall talent but a lot of times Alcoa will have a couple of guys who are better than anyone Maryvile has. I know Alcoa has 3 players that have a chance to be D1 players in Ray Sykes,Dustin Lindsey and Brandon Warren.

The one thing that Alcoa has over Maryville almost every year is speed. Alcoa always has speed. But the big advantage that Maryville always has over Alcoa is depth. Especially on the line of scrimmage. Maryville usually has the size advantage over Alcoa.

I hope Alcoa wins it all in 2A.

I agree with most of yall on here about numbers being the difference maker. Coming from a small, 2a school and playing Maryville every year seems to be the reason they win almost every year. Ask any Maryville player or fan and they will tell you that talent wise, Alcoa probably has more, but the fourth quarter is where it's won. Maryville dominates the 4th quarter, and that's because other teams are worn down from playing both ways. I'm not downing the talent, coaches or anyone one else in 4a or Maryville, but size and numbers is the answer to your question AE!!

Here we go again, with perception. I don't agree that Alcoa has greater talent than does Maryville, or that Alcoa has better talent than anyone else. What good is it in team concept if you don't win as a whole? Maybe Alcoa has kids with more potential, but getting the kids to perform is another question. And like I always say football is a team sport.

On another point there is more to having a winning program than the size of a schools enrollment, its attitude and belief in the program that help make up championship teams in my view.

Kids come out is droves at a place like Maryville, year after year because of the excitement and expectations of winning. Just up the road Heritage has 2-300 more kids (males) that does Maryville, but they may only get 80 kids out Heritage has some very big kids and athletic ones who just walk the halls because they don't believe in the program or the coaching staff. Its all about perception and attitude. Not picking on Heritage, they have fallen on hard times but there are some great kids in the school and a new coach might just make the difference, we'll have to see. At WBlount Coach Meadows has brought renewed excitement there simply because he is a proven winner and has brought that attitude to the program. Big keys in my view.

AEroadrunner. Just save this post. AE scrimmages Maryville, central and Oak Ridge this summer. When they see AE's depth at line and of course skill position they will see what you were saying. I remember a lot of people didn't know what we had until they scrimmaged Maryville last year. Then it seemed that AE program got respect. And that team was not one of AE's better teams. But Maryville program and fans have credibility and by gaining respect from them we got a little from the rest of the area. A lot of people think AE is the old AE from the past. Their not. Coach Stevens is in total control of his kids and coaches. They are very discipline and hard working. This year team has line depth. Oh yeah I remember AE playing Riverdale in a passing league at Tennessee Tech a couple of years ago. They beat them by 2 or more touchdowns. They just ran by them beep beep.

Guest Oakland

i think you are missing the point. i think most people that have posted on this thread will agree that AE or any good program 3a or lower could contend with the big guys but not on a consistent basis, besides, scrimmages and passing leagues are only to improve the overall units of the team, so i wouldnt base AE's performance against big schools off of that

Edited by oakland2001