What do you guys think about Knox. Halls for 2004

bigsexy007

It seems someone is awfully touchy about a subject. I never said anything negative about Maryville. I did not bash their fans, their coaches, and certainly not their players. I merely was pointing out an unfair loop hole in the rules. I realize that parents have a right to send their kids where ever they want. I just feel that ANY school that is allowed to take transfers who plays against others that can't is unfair. Someone posted about Burnette going to Gibbs causing an uproar. I think Gibbs is a closed zone and he could not transfer in as easy as going to Maryville, Central, Knox West, etc.

As the beacon of high school football, fans of Maryville should know that high school football is about playing with your friends, in your community, in front of your school. WIN-LOSE-OR-TIE. Can you honestly tell me that you will enjoy watching Burnette as much as the other qb's who grew up in the Maryville community? I guess it doesn't matter as long as you just win baby.

Go Red Rebels!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RD94

I didn't appreciate your smart remark about Burnett being placed on the waiting list 14 years ago when he was born. That is why I directed that post to you.

Since you are a Halls fan answer this. Did you cry about Maryville in 1993,1994 and 1996 when Halls used to whip Maryville? Maryville had tuition students then.

You make it sound like Maryville wins because they get tuition students. It didn't help Maryville a lot from the mid 80s to the mid 90s when there were a lot of 5-5 seasons.

When a lot of people's favorite team gets beat by someone a lot they want to accuse the winning team of cheating. This is the losers mentality. You never saw me crying about other teams cheating when they were beating Maryville. I wanted Maryville to get better.

I guess I need to start crying about Farraguts baseball team. :P Especially since they beat Maryville almost all the time.

Edited by REBELRON

Some of you will remember my post last year bashing my beloved Devils for losing to Gibbs in their scrimmage. This year should be much different. I attended their spring scrimmage against Dobbins-Bennett and was mildly surprised.

They actually threw the ball 20-25 times in about 60 plays. They did not run but 1 or 2 option plays and they were not the triple option in years past - come to think of it the didn't run much triple last year. Now D-B beat us 1-0 and I'm sure they didn't have all of their skill kids but I know for a fact that Halls was missing 8-9 starters.

As far as Halls not having good skill players like in 96, remember Preston Teague only played in the first few games and Carter was an excelent back but not with good speed. Weaver was a very good DB but probably not the fastest secondary player for Halls - Sheppard was faster. I'm sure Weaver and Sheppard would have loved to throw the ball 15-20 times per game that year but they didn't throw but about 100 times in their 15 games.

This years team will probably have as much if not more speed in the secondary as they have in 96. 96 had Teague, Weaver, Sheppard, Quarles, and one more that I can't remember his name. This year they have Sharpe(soph), Mynatt(sr) and both of those are as fast as Weaver and Sheppard.

Now on to the point of players transferring - I would bet Burnett never talked with Sheppard about his son going to Halls - but I do know that he talked with Quarles at Maryville as long ago as 2002, he talked with Helton about moving Zac to WR, he talked with Smith at Powell, bet he talked with the coach at Webb. I have heard recently that the Price kid can't transfer to Powell because it is like Halls - A CLOSED ZONE.

The last question about a coach not playing football and coaching it is stupid. In fact I know that all of the coaches at Halls played football in HS, because most of them played at Halls - Quarles, Hassel, Williams, Julian. Polston played at Carter, Sexton played at Carter. Hurst played at Rule or A-E. Sheppard played in Clarksville (I think). In fact Quarles, Julian, Sexton, Hurst, Sheppard played college football. So I don't know where you get the idea that none played football.

I would bet there are a number of coaches that are good quality coaches that didn't play HS or college football.

Good luck to all especially my devils - just don't put on a performance like you did last year against Gibbs - if you scrimmage them again.

Jiminy Crickett #2, since you seem to have knowledge of the North Knoxville kids, what can you tell me about Brandon Mcmahan at Gibbs. He played last yr with my son on the freshman team and ran 3 kickoffs back for td's. The kid also scored 12 tds in 5 games and we only one one game. His dad told me that last yr was probably his worst yr since he started playing football. I do know that he played for Tom Burnette and with the other kids you spoke of at Halls. I just wanted to know if he's a kid that we can expect big things from in a couple of yrs and if he has the ability to turn this program around.

volnative,

Brandon McMahon is a very talented athlete. It would be an asset to any football team. To the best of my memory, the STATS you provided in your message seem pretty consistent to what Brandon contributed as a Halls junior midget football player. He also played super midgets at Halls, but the talent of many young men contributed to the success of this team. Halls was strong in running as well as receiving. Brandon always displayed much determination and athletic ability in whatever role was asked of him. However, it takes more than one player to make a team. Brandon can and will contribute to Gibbs success, and I hope there are other athletes at Gibbs that will step up and play to their potential as well.

Rebelron- some things to think about

A.) I wouldn't consider myself a fan of any particular high school team. My brother played for Halls for a few years. I caught a few games and am interested on how they will do this year. So I am not crying about anything.

B.)Maryville wins because of players, coaches, and communuity (in that order). I am not foolish to think that one player could account for Maryville's success. But here is a question, could 2, 4, 6? How many kids (differences makers) would you need to turn a middle of the pack team into a contender?

C) You need to understand that my problem is not with the Maryville High School Football team. It is with the "rule". Private schools (about 1/4 of students in Chatt. are in private schools of some sorts) and transfers are killing high school sports in my opinion. Maryville is not cheating. However if Bill Gates bought a lottery ticket and won the 242 million dollar jackpot, doesn't there seem something out of place with that? Did Bill cheat--no, it just seems not right.

D) By reading between the lines, I think you called me a loser. Let me ease your mind, I have a lovely wife, a great family, and a terrific job. I am not a loser in life. There is more to it than football and this message board--not much though B)

Good luck with your season.

I wanted to ask Jiminy Cricket #2 something. When assessing over players in any sport particularly football, you include the Brock name with good athletes like Sharp and Gildner. I wondered why! From what I've heard and seen Brocks best bet is probably TRACK! Hopefully, the 100 meter event won't confuse and depress him. We have several good athletes who will play receiver and I would be shocked if either Brock ever breaks the huddle with the likes of real athletes like Mynatt, Lucas, Lockwood, Sharp, Gildner, Large, May, among others. Unfortunately, our football team now looks like it will be cursed with TWO BROCKS, "As if 1 with the Brock parents were not enough" On a positive note, I think this years team has a great opportunity to have a 8 win season or better and go a long way in the playoffs. GO BIG RED!!!

From what I hear, Mr. Burnette has a way of "asking" kids from other parts of the county to play for "His" Super Midget dynasty.

In response to RD94:

You really know much ado about nothing! Did it ever occur to you that kids outside the county SEEKED out Mr. Burnette and the winning Halls Super Midget program. I know, my son was one of them. Won the City/County Championship that year!! My son wanted to play for a great coach and a winning team.

Its really a shame that ignorant post talkers like you and others get in this chat room and trash people without knowing the facts!

Folks, I spend alot of time (some may say that I waste alot of time) on CoachT reading basically all the posts in the football, basketball and baseball areas. And I find it interesting that all these Maryville people are in here posting on a Halls topic! It makes me wonder if rebelron and his comrades arent a little guilty feeling about the burnette transfer, otherwise, why would they be in this Halls topic posting maryville propaganda that nobody in the state of tennessee cares to read much less Halls fans!!! Like I said, I read all these posts and it seems like thats all rr and his buddies do is go poking their opinions in everybody elses topics. Now I do know the burnette and douglas kids and their dads. And coming from someone that is in the know, i can tell you that you wont meet a finer man than daddy douglas....he is a true gentleman and a great guy. On the otherhand, daddy burnette (as Halls insiders know) is someone that will do or say anything in order to promote himself or his son! Maryville people can say all they want what a good guy he seems to be, but long time acquaintances know the real story! So rr and the other rebels that are monopolizing Halls fans time on this topic, go to some Maryville topic and talk all you want, but let the ones that no the real story rest in peace!

Edited by HSsportznut

HSsportznut

If you notice my 1st post is about Halls. I mentioned that Halls has had good linemen but lacked good skill players. I didn't mention nothing about Maryville until avidfan and RD94 started saying smart comments about Maryville. I am not going to let anyone rip Maryville.

I know that Halls fans are bitter because of Brent Burnett going to Maryville. Kids transfer in and kids transfer out. Accept it. Maryville has lost a lot of good players that have transfered. Since 2001 Maryville has lost these kids to transfers.

TJ Brock transfered to Sweetwater from Maryville

Jason Elam transfered to Farragut from Maryville

Kenneth Click Transfered to Heritage from Maryville

Morgan Hurst transfered to Alcoa from Maryville

TJ Franklin transfered to Catholic from Maryville

Benny Fuller transferd to Alcoa from Maryville

Kelby Crain transfered to William Blount from Maryville

All those kids were good football players who would have helped Maryville out a lot. I'm not feeling a bit guilty about the Burnett transfer.