Best High School Rivalry

JC4life

Oak Ridge and Clinton used to be one of the biggest rivalries, but it's been lopsided in O.R.'s favor. Those two schools really hate each other, to the point of vandalism, fights, etc. Now most of Clinton's good ballplayers attend either A.C.H.S. or Oliver Springs. Clinton could compete in single A now, maybe??

where on earth is wartburg?  coalfield?  i have never heard of either of these teams and their is a thread about them on here with almost 200 posts!  who are these teams?  what are their mascots?  what classification?

825290678[/snapback]

Wartburg is the County Seat of Morgan Co. They call their H.S. Central but there are no others in Wartburg. The Mascot is an English Bulldog sipping tea and eating crackers. They are double A and brag about dominating Morgan Co. Football (other three H.S.'s are Single A)

Coalfield is in the southeastern end of Morgan Co. between Oliver Springs and Wartburg. They are single a with a tradition of 11 or more consecutive play off births since play off system has been in existence. They're mascot is a Yellow Jacket. They play Wartburg yearly and the overall record is Wartburg .535 against Coalfield. Coalfield has the only State Championship in any sport for Morgan County and that is in H.S. Baseball 1998.

The rivalry is for community pride and nothing else as each team plays in different divisions. Come the second game of the year at either place the fans will pack the stadium with approximately 3000 fans. Not bad for a County with a population of 19000 (and much of that population is in the two state prisons, Brushy Mountain Correctional Complex), and two other high schools playing somewhere that night.

CYJacket, you forgot Coalfield's 1941 football state championship in 6 man football.  Or does it count?

825290688[/snapback]

We can count it. I just left it off because most of these young guys on here could give a hoot in hady's about a six man team in the 1940's. Problem is it still matters to those 10 guys who made up that team that are still alive. Bet I can name three or four still alive. And before some smart a comes on here and says it: no I did not see them play. They did have to play six man because that is the largest teams that could be fielded during WWII. Started back with eleven after the War.

Edited by CYJacket

Obviously, none of you really understand bad blood. Spend some time in Smith County the week leading up the Smith Co. Owls v. the Gordansville Tiger game. There are many people in that county that don't cross the river unless they are going to that game.

825290702[/snapback]

Beethoven, I lived in Carthage for about a year during the construction of the defunct Hartsville Nuclear Plant. You're exactly right. PLUS, another HUGE rivalry is the Smith Co/Trousdale game.

Problem is it still matters to those 10 guys who made up that team that are still alive. Bet I can name three or four still alive. And before some smart a comes on here and says it: no I did not see them play.

825290694[/snapback]

CYJacket, you know me. I used to see you at the quarterback's house who played on that six man team. thumb

White House/Portland

Beech/Hendersonville

Gallatin/Hendersonville

David Lipscomb/Goodpasture

MBA/BA

Brentwood/Franklin

White House/Greenbrier

Huntingdon/Milan

Lebanon/Mt Juiet

Germantown/Houston

Northeast/Northwest

Smith County/Gordonsville

Boyd Buchanan/South Pittsburg

DCA/CPA

Baylor/McCallie

MUS/Christian Brothers

Dyersburg/Dyer County

Boyd-Buchanan and South Pittsburg for sure! It's ganna be weird when Boyd moves to 2A and dont play S. Pitt anymore.

825290600[/snapback]

While this is a great game year in and year out. However I don't think that this game can be considered in this thread as one of the best high school rivalry. How about the South Pittsburg/Marion game now thats a good rivalry. And as far as when Boyd moves up to 2A, I believe S.P. will still keep them on there schedule because if they were to win the Blue Cross Bowl again they wouldn't want people saying it is because Boyd went to 2A.