Centennial High School

BigDogDaddy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every year you heard "This is Centinial's(sp) year!"  Quite frankly, I'm sick of hearing it.  I don't see how they could possibly be better without their key player Bates.  They even retired his jersey for heaven's sake.  They CAN NOT be a stronger team without him, period.  As much as they have this year, they had the same last year, without Bates.  Its not possible, I believe, for this year to be CHS's year.  I do see them beating BGA though, since they will be very weak this year.

825299376[/snapback]

One player doesnt make a team!! Yes, Bates was a very good player but one man doesnt make a team.

BGA could have whipped Centennial with or without Karl. Their defense was one of the worst BGA saw all year. Centennial was lucky to only lose 39-18. BGA was able to run all over them. Their offense was average at best with Curtis Steele being their best player by far. Bates was highly overrated. Centennial will probably beat BGA this year but they will receive a baptism by fire when they play BA first game of the season.

Line is Huge:

Magochy, Jr, 6'2 210 / Austin, Sr, 6'3 290/ Wolff,Sr, 6'4 265/  Elam, Sr, 6'5 230/ Dumke, Sr, 6'3 265

and those were last years numbers

I know the Elam you are talking about in their line and he is 6'3 185 not 6'5 230. I wouldn't be so quick to put any credibility into the rest of those numbers either.

825295986[/snapback]

Centennial could win any of the 5 games. I'll agree that this is the year they take out Brentwood, as well as Dickson Co. I also think they get a win against BGA. The Franklin game is unpredictable, so who knows. I just want the BA game to get here. Ahhh, football.

And while we're on the subject of Bates, it's time to be the center of the two sides: Bates was a player with more heart than anyone else I know, and while he wasn't a flash RB, he was total power, which made him a heck of a back. As far as linebacking goes, he was the soul of the Defense, and he will be missed on defense. But he wasnt the whole team.

Edited by Auburnfan1007

For what its worth, I wandered out to the practice field at CHS the other day after work. It was the first practice back after camp. They looked about like I expected from what I saw. A little fatigued in the legs after camp and some mental goofs, typical post camp stuff. But they were moving fast and that was impressive. The line was coming off the ball and the backs were running. Even the scout defense was moving to the ball with some sense of purpose. The backs look awesome. Steele looks like he can have as good a year as he wants and Buchannan finally looked like he did when he was a frosh and running for a job. The line is big, but not as big as I saw in the spring. It looks like a couple of the really good sized kids have been knocked out of the first team by some not as big kids that want to get after someone. Dumke and Wolf are legitimate. Big strong kids that can move. I'd say they both run around 270-280 by the look of them. The center and two tackles all look around 205-230 but can move well. Taylor Scott looked very impressive and had some zip on his passes (luckily I strolled up in passing period.)

One of the best looking kids out there was Brandon Meegs (spell?). He has put on alot of muscle since I last saw him and runs like the wind. The kid wreaks of D1 potential. As a side note, there was another WR (a JR) that was said to give Steele all he wanted in a foot race.

So there's what I saw in a brief offensive practice. I think they will have a chance to win every game they play this year if they really want it and if they dont, they could easily lose 6 or 7 games. I hope for the prior, as they look like they're working hard.

• 3 months later...
Why is it that a team with these 5 games on their schedule is being  held to such lofty heights:

Brentwood Academy 11-1 ... L 34 17

Battle Ground Academy 12-1... L 39 18

Brentwood High 10-2 ... L 25 23

Franklin High 11-3... L 30 13

Dickson County 9-2 ... L 42 21

WesVols  if they beat any two of these teams I'll treat you to a steak dinner at the Copper Cellar on the Strip!

825295615[/snapback]

Dickson County, who'd of ever thought they would fall that far in one year. OK, I don't think I'll make it up for Kentucky game but I will be at a bunch of basketball games so you will have to come join the twins and myself for dinner.

But you have to admit, I was right to a degree, Centennial was about the same ole, same ole. Will the offense ever come into the 21st Century?