Deciding who plays both ways

BigDogDaddy

I have to believe it is easier to be a coach in 1A than it is in 5A. In 1A if you have 30-35 players out you don't hesitate to find the best 15 athletes and let a majority of them play both ways.

But when you are the coach of a 5A program and you have 60-75 kids out and there is only a "minor difference" between the senior who has been waiting to play for three years, and the junior phenom ... you have to wonder what goes through a coaches mind. How much does the team suffer by "letting" the senior start instead of playing the junior both ways. How much flak does he catch if he lets two or three juniors play both ways while seniors sit the bench.

No sir, not me, I don't ever want to be a 5A coach!!

At Maryville there will be 80 kids out for football. The coaching staff does a great job of finding kids to play defense or offense only. The only kids that play both ways are the safeties and receivers. None of the linemen play on both sides of the ball. Keeping players fresh helps a lot.

Arent you a MOWest fan. I know they have a lot of kids too out for football. They play a lot of kids.

At Maryville there will be 80 kids out for football. The coaching staff does a great job of finding kids to play defense or offense only. The only kids that play both ways are the safeties and receivers. None of the linemen play on both sides of the ball. Keeping players fresh helps a lot.

Arent you a MOWest fan. I know they have a lot of kids too out for football. They play a lot of kids.

825297349[/snapback]

BigDogDaddy is a Franklin fan.

Ron, save me a spot at a Maryville home playoff game!

Guest region4fan

With Siegel opening last year, it greatly decreased Oakland's numbers so just about everyone had to play both ways. Marty had never had that happen before. The kids got in great shape with intense conditioning and Smitty, who was a 300 pounder would be as fresh at the 4th Q as he was at the beginng. We will have kids going both ways again this year, and it will be a lot easier .

I think playing kids both ways is very stupid. By the 4th quarter any teenager is going to be WORN OUT! At Maryville safeties, WRs, and CBs are the one ones to play both ways. This is because Maryville doesn't have a lot of speed to have a deep bench for these players. We can shuffle several kids in and out that can get the job done and give them breathers, but we keep the best kids in there at DB and WR.

Guest region4fan

When you have 33 players and have to play the likes of Brentwood Academy, Riverdale, Franklin, Lincoln County................you put the best players on the field. We also found that some kids who had a tendency to stiffen up while on the sidelines were able to stay loose b/c they stayed on the field. The cramping issue was almost non-existent!

Ideally, we would have liked to have had players play one way....but circumstances being what they were..............you do what you have to do. We don't have 100 kids like Maryville or Riverdale. Do you put untried sophs on the field or seniors??

I think playing kids both ways is very stupid.  By the 4th quarter any teenager is going to be WORN OUT!  At Maryville safeties, WRs, and CBs are the one ones to play both ways.  This is because Maryville doesn't have a lot of speed to have a deep bench for these players.  We can shuffle several kids in and out that can get the job done and give them breathers, but we keep the best kids in there at DB and WR.

825297461[/snapback]

It might be stupid but most teams from 3A down don't have the numbers that a lot of schools do most have on average of 25-30 players if that and maybe 10 or 12 are freshmen. You just don't have a choice you have to play both ways and hope that you rotate in a younger player for a few snaps like on the last series before the half to give some players a few more minutes to get their breath!

Guest region4fan

Yes, you definitely want to rotate in a few linemen to give the players a blow.........but don't think that a good OC or DC doesn't see that change in the line and try to take advantage of the fresh blood.

I think playing kids both ways is very stupid.  By the 4th quarter any teenager is going to be WORN OUT!  At Maryville safeties, WRs, and CBs are the one ones to play both ways.  This is because Maryville doesn't have a lot of speed to have a deep bench for these players.  We can shuffle several kids in and out that can get the job done and give them breathers, but we keep the best kids in there at DB and WR.

825297461[/snapback]

Most schools don't have Maryville's depth. Maryville didn't have this advantage when I was in school. Maryville had about 45-50 players when I was in school. Maryville is very fortunate now. Maryville is winning,Maryville has great tradition,Interest is at an all time high and Maryville has a lot of good athletes. Maryville also has great coaching also.

Edited by REBELRON

Ideally, we would have liked to have had players play one way....but circumstances being what they were..............you do what you have to do. We don't have 100 kids like Maryville or Riverdale. Do you put untried sophs on the field or seniors??

honestly, i would definatly go w/ a untried soph b/c it would be valuable playin time and it would test their ablities and skill!