West Tennessee media coverage during week zero

Libertyfan

I'd like to see the SUN become more like the CLARKSVILLE LEAF-CHRONICLE in their high school coverage. The LEAF has a reporter and photographer go to each school in the area almost every week. They have some excellent, unbiased coverage. The SUN, on the other hand, has about 5 or 6 favorites, most of which are in the immediate Jackson area. The SUN has a lot of mistakes too.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me 1st say in defense Jeremy Peppas of

the Jackson Sun he can only be in 1 place at a time.

IMO The Jackson Sun needs to cover the Jackson teams,

Jackson has 7 high schools that should be covered on Friday nights.

It is the ONLY coverage these boys will get. I believe Milan, Humboldt,

Greenfield, McKenzie, McNairy, Adamsville, Riverside, Trenton,

Chester County, Huntingdon, Haywood, Bolivar, Dyersburg, Dyer County,

all have papers that cover their games. The Jackson Sun does not have enough reporters to cover the Jackson teams ( key word JACKSON )

and the other teams not in Madison County that get covered already

by their local paper. If I stepped on your toes, sorry but our boys from Jackson when playing should never not be covered so 2 teams in another town can be and yes it has happened. Jeremy does a really good job , I realize he does not call the shots on where to be. BYW where is the football preview that has come out

forever did I miss it.

Edited by giterdone

giterdone, you seem to hit the nail on the head. The Sun doesn't have the personnel to give full coverage to all games in west TN. Perhaps they would be better served by focusing on Jackson games. However, I still would like them to get the box scores called in from all west TN games.

I agree with LibertyFan on Dan Reeves, but I like Sea Bass. Reeves is a little too obnoxious for my liking, and is marginal at best as a PBP broadcaster. I love listening to Bass' color commentary during HS football (when I get a chance to listen).

But seriously, how can you not like Dave Macaully (sp)? Perhaps I am biased because I have met him a few times, but a nicer and friendlier guy you will be hard-pressed to find. His personality comes across over the air, and I enjoy listening to him.

It's all about the preference of the listener...either he or she likes the style and personality of the announcer or they don't.

Some people want to hear the guy that will say anything or will act wacky on the air and some want a straight forward play by play.

Of the many things I've learned through the years, one stands clear: You can't please everyone all of the time.

It's all about the preference of the listener...either he or she likes the style and personality of the announcer or they don't. 

Some people want to hear the guy that will say anything or will act wacky on the air and some want a straight forward play by play. 

Of the many things I've learned through the years, one stands clear:  You can't please everyone all of the time.

825310674[/snapback]

Exactly. That's why I was careful to say Reeves was too obnoxious for my liking. Others like him, and that's great.

Now Macaully on the other hand... he's too nice not to like ;)

I agree - Dave is a very nice guy.

I haven't met Reeves or Seabass...but I have heard about them from other broadcasters.

Although, I have listened to their show when I've been in Jackson waiting for my wife to finish shopping and that usually gives me plenty of time to flip around the dial.

Edited by sportsradiotn

The sports radio in Jackson is making headway 1390 new line up is much improved. 101.5 still the leader in sports talk and have been ever since the Cheap Seats took over. Nashville and Memphis could use a show like this. as far as PBP Dave does a good job with high school and Lambuth. Dan, SeaBass and Richard Barber breath new life into football and Basketball. The Cheap Seats were the only station to broadcast live from the Dixie World Series. Great job of community service. Keep up the good work can't wait to tune in Friday Night.

Edited by wad

Let me 1st say in defense  Jeremy  Peppas of

the Jackson Sun he can only be in 1 place at a time.

IMO The Jackson Sun needs to cover the Jackson teams,

Jackson has  7 high schools that should be covered on Friday nights.

It is the ONLY coverage these boys will get.  I believe Milan, Humboldt,

Greenfield, McKenzie, McNairy, Adamsville, Riverside, Trenton,

Chester County, Huntingdon, Haywood, Bolivar, Dyersburg, Dyer County,

all have papers that cover their games.  The Jackson Sun does not have enough reporters to cover the Jackson teams ( key word JACKSON )

and the other teams not in Madison County that get covered already

by their local paper. If I stepped on your toes, sorry but our boys from Jackson when playing  should never not be covered so 2 teams in another town can be and yes it has happened.  Jeremy does a really good job , I realize he does not call the shots on where to be. BYW where is the football preview that has come out

forever did I miss it.

825310586[/snapback]

Key word: Hub City, Jackson is not a small town any more. The others are.

The Cheap Seats is the Best show around. The Bass man and shoulder parrot is the best around. They have brought alot to the hub city. Milt is pretty good also, the rest needs to listen and learn a few things. I'm glad they got away from 560 in Memphis which they could turn that station around also. The Jackson Sun has the worse sport pages i have every seen...I know they could add some more things in sports section, todays paper had 2 pages thats crazy.

Someone above asked when will the Sun have there High School preview.

It will be out this Thursday the 26th. Looking foward to it.

As far as the Sun reporting the Jackson teams they do indeed need to report on all Jackson teams but also need to give report on big games in surrounding counties. A lot of people that live in Jackson come from the surrounding counties and like to read up on their former schools and towns without having to find some way to access the small town papers. I mean I myself would want to read up on say the Milan-Huntingdon game when both teams have awesome records rather than a Jackson team playing in a game that will not have much siginfiance in the playoff picture.

Just my opinion

Agree with Giterdone, all Jackson games should be covered by the Jackson Sun this is the Jackson teams local paper. If the Jackson Sun does not cover them there is no coverage. If the Sun does not cover the Milan game you will still be able to read about it in the Milan paper. I also enjoy reading about other schools outside of Madison County but it's just as important to the teams in Jackson to have coverage. You might prefer Milan Huntingdon stories but the JCM, Liberty, Northside, Southside, TCA, USJ and JCS players and fans want to read about their games. If their own hometown paper doesn't cover them who will? No One!

Look forward to the Football Preview I know alot of hard work went into

and it does not go unappreciated, It means alot ot the players and fans.