Best of the Best

Rebel Nation

Buster Smith and Tommy Johnson both ran a 9.6 100 yard dash. I was there when Tommy Johnson,Tony Fox,Donnie Hodge and Buster Smith was in the Maryville backfield. Donnie Hodge was the quickest,make you miss running back I ever seen at Maryville. Donnie wasn't as fast as the others unless he was being chased :huh: Buster Smith weighed 145lbs. He was one of the toughest players pound for pound I ever seen.

Maryville had a lot of speed when I was there. I ran a 4.8 to 4.9 I was one of the slowest skill players on the team.That is why I sit the bench.

Buster Smith 4.4

Tommy Johnson 4.4

Tony Fox 4.5

Donnie Hodge 4.55

David Olive 4.55 Olive is brother of the Tullahoma head coach John Olive.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

REBELRON, I'm sorry I keep asking lots of questions, but was the Fox,Johnson era the same as the Danny Spradlin era? Spradlin used to wear people out at LB. I know he went pro for a while, but whatever happened to him? Also would you think the oldest Talley kid would be in the same catagory as Waters, Black and that bunch?

One other question not relating to Maryville specifically. I think it was Rule or Seymore that had a big tall QB/Punter that could rifle the f-ball either with his arm or foot. Do you remember who that was? I used to hear of him giving Maryville fits.

REBELRON, I'm sorry I keep asking lots of questions, but was the Fox,Johnson era the same as the Danny Spradlin era? Spradlin used to wear people out at LB. I know he went pro for a while, but whatever happened to him? Also would you think the oldest Talley kid would be in the same catagory as Waters, Black and that bunch?

One other question not relating to Maryville specifically. I think it was Rule or Seymore that had a big tall QB/Punter that could rifle the f-ball either with his arm or foot. Do you remember who that was? I used to hear of him giving Maryville fits.

825324391[/snapback]

Danny graduated in 77 (76 football season). He was very strong in his upper body. To block him you had to stay on his legs. He was a great LB at UT and went to Dallas. While at Dallas, Sports Illustrated said Danny had the best body in the NFL. He was a beast. Unfortunately he was plagued with injury most of his pro career. He finished at Tampa Bay. Danny now is a successful Sales Rep. at Saturn of Knoxville. Be sure and keep him in your prayers as his mother just passed away.

Mark Talley was a good high school lineman but not in the same category as Waters and Black.

Edited by Rebelsman

Been a long time since I've been on here, but since I got called out about half-way through I'll add my two cents...

I'm not very old so anything before '90 is irrelevant.

Team: 1998-It started up front, too many weapons

(not in any order)

QB: Toki-Will Curtis-Rod Cross-Rouse

WR: Sweetland-Rod Cross-Maples (x2)-Gastin-Hammontree (Elizabethton semi's)-Will Curtis

RB: Potter-Dean-Love-Jeff ? from around 94/95-Josh Gourley-Carl Stewart-McCord

OL: Prugh/James/Simerly/Black/Sharp-Waters-Everett playing through shoulder seperations-

Secondary: Curtis-Maples-Stalcupp-Hammontree-Vananda-Clement

LB: Baker-Arrington-Theriot-Healy-Blankenship

DL: Casteel-Prugh/Black/Sharp/Simerly-Hillshire-Miller (98 Clinic Bowl MVP)

Ranking the head coaches of my lifetime as: Hammontree-Quarles-Olive-Story

Memorable Games: Alcoa every year: 97 and 98 Elizabethton: All clinic bowls (from freezing cold in 97-beautiful weather in 98-snow in 2000?)-listening to the internet radio in 2002? with the on-side kick: MoWest 2001? semi's in the rain: standing on the fence Friday night vs. Alcoa: Friday the 13th lpss at WB and the worm: 63-7 shellacking of WB starting with 21 points in about 75 seconds capped off by Fickert's finger but ruined by Timmy Gardner's interception TD return: