Cheatham Co. Schools Shut Down Athletics

ctf33

Basically they wouldn't do that type of thing if it didn't work EVERY SINGLE TIME.  Somebody somewhere will have to take a painful stand for it to stop.

825333851[/snapback]

You are right bigchief, I believe that is what the head coachs at cheatam county schools are going to do. Unfortunate for the kids but it has to be done to stop the school boards from messing with the atheletic programs. Also they said they (the board members) may make the assisstant coaches pay back the supplemental pay for this year if they decide to stop all sports. The asst. coaches get paid over a 12 month period, so the supplemental pay is in their checks now and for the rest of the year but the board might try to make them pay it back. They could decide to finish out the sports year for this school year but if they take a stand now, (like they are doing), it will have alot more impact.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding at the morning round tables in South Cheatham and after watching the news last night was that the coaches were going to stay because the county commission would veto any school board budget that eliminated supplements. This budget was due July 31st and the 2 boards are at odds about that. The word concerning the staggered bus schedule is that the federal monies for school buses devaluated the vehicles faster than we were wearing them out, so they voted in 2 routes per bus. This seems almost nonsensical, but alot of the bus drivers quit part time jobs to double their pay for 2 routes. This school board is messing with people's livlihood. Taking a cut for the kids happened 3 years ago Bertier and the coaches were promised that money would return. Instead they are supposed to take more cuts? Good luck Mr. Stuart in hiring any new coaches that will be willing to work under these financial restraints.

Hey Gerry bertier...I coached for 12 yrs...there is not a coach around who does this for the money. It takes a special breed of person to do it in the first place.

Time away from families, parents who complain over bs, principals who know nothing to help, poor facilities, poor community support, constant budget shortages, school board members who think this is their personal kingdom, and putting your personal reputation into the hands of 14,15, 16, 17 and 18 yr olds who sometimes lack maturity.

This is a calling for a giant leap of faith on their part.

Maybe Gerry your spouse will have such a great paying job your convictions will be able to be put to the test....................BUT FIRST....try walking a mile in the coaches shoes first.

I just caught word that the game is still on for Friday. Is there any truth to this? This has to be the biggest travesty to ever hit Cheatham County. Just think of what it is going to do for kid's futures. Kids like Josh Garza, Maurice Polk, Chris Langley, the list can go on and on. I know for a fact Garza was being heavily recruited by some ivy league schools, and now just because some incompetent adults do not know how to do their jobs, these kids are going to suffer. I am outraged that the school board could not find another way to solve this problem. And the whole thing about coaches working with no pay. That is a ridiculous thought all in its own. To put up with all the stuff that coaches have to put up with is a lot, too much for what they were being paid in the first place. Does this budget only affect the fall, or will it affect the entire school year?

The coaches are going to let the county commission fight their battle for them. THEY ARE NOT GOING TO LEAVE THE KIDS TO PLAY CHEATHAM COUNTY POLITICS!

Like I said, the commission is NOT going to pass the boards budget. The board is digging themselves in a hole and they can't affort a latter! LOL

This truly is a sad situation. Gerry Bertier, I can certainly understand your passion and excitement about your future influencing the lives of kids through athletics. I know many coaches that have the same drive and have been doing it for years. Unfortunately, when you get into the real world there are others who are not so concerned and do not realized the impact and importance of athletics in children’s lives. Many of those are in positions that can greatly affect the athletic programs. It is true that children and many adults often cannot understand what is going on behind the scenes, nor do they realize what it actually takes to run a program, so it may seem that when coaches try to take a stand they do not care about the kids.

A few years ago Cheatham County cut coaching supplements after the season had begun. They said they would be reinstated the next year (didn’t happen). The parents, supporters and coaches all stepped up to raise the funds that it takes to have an adequate staff and the safest equipment for the children. So, not only were those coaches’ supplements taken away, but they had to put in even more time to raise funds so that they could be paid. Does that make sense? Year after year it becomes exhausting wondering if your program will face cuts again. What will happen in the next few years? What will there be to cut? If cuts were made in previous years to balance the budget, why do we have to cut again? Are we spending more than we take in? What happens to you if you spend more than you make? Do you ask your family to go without food because you want a brand new car? Priorities must be set. Is this good leadership? If you had a financial planner and one year he told you to sell your car and then the next you had to sell your home to come up with more money wouldn’t you change the one in charge of your finances? It reminds me of an addiction situation. If you continue to allow the problem, you are contributing to the problem and it will never be fixed. It looks like the coaches are showing a little tough love. It is not easy and it is not something that everyone understands. People must face the music and find a way to solve the problem or the problem will continue. If it does not get better, sometimes you just have to move on.

The community will always pull together. They always have. It is for their children. Most coaches have children, so it is for their children also. I love the people of Cheatham County. They have been and continue to be like family. After a while one just becomes weary of the continuing worry that the program may be cut again and the added burden of trying to work extra to be sure there is a way to continue. It is truly sad. Over the years I have seen it take the joy and excitement away that a young coach once had as he looked to his future in coaching and influencing the lives of young men and women. I am afraid that many will continue to leave as they have in the past. It breaks my heart, because Cheatham County is filled with wonderful people, young and old alike, that made my time there so special and memorable. You just have to pray that in the end you make the best decision.

This truly is a sad situation.  Gerry Bertier, I can certainly understand your passion and excitement about your future influencing the lives of kids through athletics.  I know many coaches that have the same drive and have been doing it for years.  Unfortunately, when you get into the real world there are others who are not so concerned and do not realized the impact and importance of athletics in children’s lives.  Many of those are in positions that can greatly affect the athletic programs.  It is true that children and many adults often cannot understand what is going on behind the scenes, nor do they realize what it actually takes to run a program, so it may seem that when coaches try to take a stand they do not care about the kids. 

A few years ago Cheatham County cut coaching supplements after the season had begun.  They said they would be reinstated the next year (didn’t happen).  The parents, supporters and coaches all stepped up to raise the funds that it takes to have an adequate staff and the safest equipment for the children.  So, not only were those coaches’ supplements taken away, but they had to put in even more time to raise funds so that they could be paid.  Does that make sense?  Year after year it becomes exhausting wondering if your program will face cuts again.  What will happen in the next few years?  What will there be to cut?  If cuts were made in previous years to balance the budget, why do we have to cut again?  Are we spending more than we take in?  What happens to you if you spend more than you make?  Do you ask your family to go without food because you want a brand new car?  Priorities must be set.  Is this good leadership?  If you had a financial planner and one year he told you to sell your car and then the next you had to sell your home to come up with more money wouldn’t you change the one in charge of your finances?  It reminds me of an addiction situation.  If you continue to allow the problem, you are contributing to the problem and it will never be fixed.  It looks like the coaches are showing a little tough love.  It is not easy and it is not something that everyone understands.  People must face the music and find a way to solve the problem or the problem will continue.  If it does not get better, sometimes you just have to move on.

The community will always pull together.  They always have.  It is for their children.  Most coaches have children, so it is for their children also.  I love the people of Cheatham County.  They have been and continue to be like family.  After a while one just becomes weary of the continuing worry that the program may be cut again and the added burden of trying to work extra to be sure there is a way to continue.  It is truly sad.  Over the years I have seen it take the joy and excitement away that a young coach once had as he looked to his future in coaching and influencing the lives of young men and women.  I am afraid that many will continue to leave as they have in the past.  It breaks my heart, because Cheatham County is filled with wonderful people, young and old alike, that made my time there so special and memorable.  You just have to pray that in the end you make the best decision.

825340741[/snapback]

WHEN ARE THE NEXT ROUND OF SCHOOL BOARD ELECTIONS IN CHEATAM COUNTY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Sickning!!  I read that the cuts were $9000, can you imagine paying coaches that little then taking it from them.

Is this right?  $9000 for 3 high schools in EVERY sport?  Do they really get paid that little.

825340983[/snapback]

Most assistant coaches in small schools make between 1200 and 3200 each in addition to their teaching pay! Take that amount and divide it year round for lifting, summer workouts, August football, passing leagues, and football season! It works out to less than a dollar and hour!

Edited by ELA