Maryville v.s. Mo West

WestHightrojanfan2007

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on when Ivan hits, and how strong it is, they might delay this game, happened at lasts years play-off.  If they don't, and the field is wet, I don't think it will effect Maryville as much, because they are more prepared for the slicker conditions.

825339515[/snapback]

It wouldn't surprise me...GQ will have the boys ready for whatever happens. :blink:

Yeah it doesn't really matter how good your run game is or your back that can get it out to the corners because they still aren't going to do anything. Dustin Lindsey is one of the best backs in the state and alco was also talking about him taking it to the corners which he tried and failed miserably. They had 78 total rushing yards I think. Halls, however, managed to come away with -18 lol. That must be what the famous TEDNUGENT coaches. The running game is probably his expertise. Or maybe his job is soaking the field. What does everyone else think?

Maryville-38

Motown-7

*Sorry REBELRON if I said something that offended you, please don't tell my father*

Yeah it doesn't really matter how good your run game is or your back that can get it out to the corners because they still aren't going to do anything.  Dustin Lindsey is one of the best backs in the state and alco was also talking about him taking it to the corners which he tried and failed miserably.  They had 78 total rushing yards I think.  Halls, however, managed to come away with -18 lol.  That must be what the famous TEDNUGENT coaches.  The running game is probably his expertise.  Or maybe his job is soaking the field.  What does everyone else think?

Maryville-38

Motown-7

*Sorry REBELRON if I said something that offended you, please don't tell my father*

825339545[/snapback]

Ted is the grounds crewman and general BS manager for Halls. :blink:

Go easy on Rebelron. He's a good guy man. :lol:

You are pathetic! Woods deserves better than Morristown has to offer! Grow up!

825339423[/snapback]

It's a shame to hear your all's coaching is holding you back.  Was there a coaching change up there recently?  I thought you all had good coaching too.... :blink:

825339473[/snapback]

First of all Grizzly, Have you been watching the same coach as I have. I don't think so. Come to a game and listen to what the crowd is saying. Secondly, talk to some of the players, they will tell you how it is.

DMoyers, no change in coaches, he did the same last year. We just had a defence that could cover up his mistakes.

I just have a couple of observations:

1. Is the weather always unpleasant at MoTown West? I honestly cannot ever remember being there when both the playing and viewing conditions were deplorable. Either it's bitterly cold or it's messy and wet, but it's never just right. Some places just seem to hold foul weather in store for all visitors at all times and MoTown is one of those places to me. South Doyle is the same way. I don't think the temperature ever rises about freezing on that campus.

2. Last year's game against the Rebels was ugly. MoTown West was the better team that day, but not over the course of the season. Unfortunately, it's one game at a time and the Rebels didn't bring it that day. In spite of their psychological issues with the change in date, the inclement weather conditions, the numerous turnovers and the psychology involved with beating a team so many times in a row...they still ALMOST won. I understand that almost doesn't count for anything in the W/L columns, but the score still makes a statement about the team as it came so close when playing so poorly.

3. Having said all that, I think it's tough to make any predictions based on the showdowns from last season. MoTown seems to have gone through considerably more significant changes from last season to this than has MHS. At Maryville when one position becomes vacant due to graduation or whatever other reason, the drop off is generally not that dramatic. That's why someone on here (sorry for not remembering who) says something to the effect of "reload and repeat" in reference to the red rebels. The guys returning for the Rebels this year have been there before. Further, the battle last year was won in the trenches by MoTown. I've not seen a Maryville line get dominated very often. I know that group of young men has a tremendous amount of pride (and talent) as does their coach. They will have a huge bullseye drawn on the chest of the man who lines up across from them on Friday night whether it is the same guy who they lined up against last year or not (and I think for the most part it will not be). There will be a fire in the Rebels that was definitely lacking the last time these teams met.

I predict a Rebel victory.

How can anyone from MOWest blast Don Woods? Before Don Woods showed up at MOWest the Trojans were a mediocre team. I remember a 5-5 Maryville team in 1996 beating MOWest 55-21 in Morristown. Now MOWest has a very good program. Their defense last season was one of the best I have ever seen. MOWest is a well coached team. I was really impressed with their defensive schemes last year. Heck! Don Woods should have a street named after him in Morristown.

I'm with Ron on this one, I used to have a family member on the rebels from 92-95 and mo west was never a threat....I'm not very familiar with their coach, but whatever he's doing seems to be working, because ever since i've been at the high school, they've been a force in 4A... Their defense last year is what won them ball games, the reason maryville lost last year however was do to themselves, nothing mowest did... I'm not going to be blasting mowest's coach tho, he's made something out of that program~ However my hat will be off to coach quarles after this game because it will be maryville that i predict to come out on top... 31 - 10 maryville

In the Morristown Paper I read about MorWest getting soundly defeated by arch rival Jefferson County last week.  At the end of the article the paper stated; “West hosts fellow 4A powerhouse Maryville”.  (Next Week) 

First of all, Morristown West is not a “Fellow” Powerhouse to Maryville and really never has been.  Even last year MorWest was beaten four times.  Sure West got by an un-motivated turnover ridden Maryville team last year in OT to gain a guest appearance at the Blue cross bowl that allowed Hillsboro to finally get a title and denied the east of the ownership of another gold ball.  Opportunity lost, in my view.  MorWest is a good team and has a fine Coach and staff but, not a Powerhouse!  This year MW will win their 2-4A region simply because the region is one of the weakest in 4A if not the weakest.  I’m still very happy and surprised MW beat Cleveland.

In the past two games MW has given up about 730 yds of offence and only scored an average of 23 PPG while giving up about 22 points per contest.  The team is 2-2 and is giving up a lot of yards to the ground game.  They have not faced a good passing team this year yet and have not been able thus far to gain many yards from the air. (16 of 26 for an ave. of 88 yds per game) A requirement for a Powerhouse to have in my opinion.  Again this year Coach Woods has called for the run 75% of the time but only has been getting about 175 per contest.  Again not the stats of a Powerhouse.  MW is also heavily penalized team as well, hurting their drives. 

Maryville on the other hand is 4-0 but has not really been tested.  The teams “D” has only given up one TD in the first half all year and one in the 3rd Qtr.  The “D” has stopped the run consistently and has about 10 Int’s this year when defending the pass.  The “D” has also rotated players without discrimination and not lost any effectiveness.  Depth is a great thing.  MHS also averages scoring about 39 PPG and has only allowed 6 PPG, mostly by the 2nd and 3rd teams “D”.  There is no telling how many yards GQ’s charges could have scored if the Coach did not have the class to call off the dogs by the end of the second qtrs in most cases.  The kids at Maryville still have that sour taste of that let down last year that stopped the class of 2004 from getting their 4th State Ring and the underclassman have been looking forward to this weeks visit to the Burk-Toney since last year.

I expect Maryville will soundly defeat MW next Friday night because Maryville is a better team top to bottom in every category again this year.  Maryville is again very close to becoming a Powerhouse but still has a great deal to prove to themselves and others they belong at the top.  I think they will be 5-0 by this time next week.

825337921[/snapback]

Should we really believe that Maryville was unmotivated to go to the State Championship in that OT loss?