Greatest runner from your HS

steepler113

Who is the greatest Track/ CC athlete your school has ever seen. Field or runner. Like Oakland would be Dale Short, Tullahoma Cameron Howard, Franklin Joey Handy, Dobyns Bennet (I murdered the spelling) Teddy Gaines, Centenial Mardy Scales, Hamilton Marquis Davis, or David Dean, Bumbi, John Wlesh, Sean Stevens, Carlos Gonzales, Ron Bramlet, Tony Cosey, Baksa, or if you are from Hunters Lane: Hodge, Clay, Waller, or a Yarborough. If you are at A new school and are bold say it. But I just want to know what kind of history ya'll know.

:unsure:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The greatest runner to ever come through McMinn County High School was Powell Grisham. He ran a 15:00 (3 mile) his senior year, which is a school record. He won Optimist, Region, and placed 3rd at State. He ran 16:13 or so at State on a very windy and rainy day with lots of mud. He also holds the school record in the 3200, placing 3rd at state with a time of 9:26. He graduated in 1989.

Tray Hurst and Josh Hicks (the sub 16:00 duo who led McMinn to their state title in 2002) were also great runners. Their senior year, they placed 3rd and 4th at State with times of 15:39 and 15:42. They still weren't as dominate as Powell was. Tray Hurst holds the school record in the 1600 with a 4:24 and Josh Hicks holds the 800 record with a 1:57 (he also ran a 1:55 relay split). These two also helped McMinn win the state championship in the 4X800 meter relay in 2003. They ran a 7:54 vs. Baylor for the school record and a 7:55 to win at State. Expect their school records to be broken this year!

Edited by Runthe800

i have all the records from 800m-cross country at my alma mater. thumb

btw, i'm really good friends with christy baird i'm glad someone mentioned her. she was the most dominating girl's runner for her entire high school career, i don't think I ever saw her lose. (i'm not from West HS)

Edited by p9morbid

Not that many of you will remember names from way back when, but the best guy to come thru my alma mater was Tim Darnell (early 80's) He ran 14:56 at Steeplechase in the state meet and had some classic battles year in and year out with another local, Jim Alshie of Kingsport D-B. The year after he graduated we had a guy, Jim Guimond who ran 14:59 when we won the State before the classification splits. By the way, I had a 15:40 and was 4th on my team.

Actually I saw Christy get 3rd in the Sectional 3200 to Sarah Damen (when she was a freshman) and Gina Recher. One of the great Sectional races ever.

At OR I would argue that Karol Davidson inthe early 1980s was our best ever. She went 2:07/5:03 and later was an NCAA indoor 800 champion. I could also vote for Nic Crider, who went 4:14/15:06 and was an NCAA Region CC champion, or David Montgomery, who went 14:55/9:25. Or it could be Sammie Ford (1:54). Possibly Jason McAddley--I never saw anything out f his range--6'8" high jumper, excellent triple jumper, even ran a 5:14 mile for football.

I have to disagree Runthe800. The greatest track athlete ever at McMinn County was Tenisha Gist. She has or had school record in Pentathlon, High Jump, Long Jump, 100 Hurdles, 100, 200, Triple Jump, Discus, 4X100, 4X200, and 4X400. She went to state in Pentathlon, High Jump, Long Jump, 100 Hurdles, 100, and 200 at different times.

Tray Hurst is the best runner to go through our school... It may seem my opinion is full of speculation but if you were around the guy as much as I was you would know..

2001/2002- Ran 16:15 at the State Championships, Went to state in the 800 and ran 1:57

2002/2003- Led his team to a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP with a time of 15:39, helped his TEAM get another STATE CHAMPIONSHIP in the 4x800 which sacrificed his chances of going sub 4:20 in the 1600..

It is fact that if giving the oppurtunity to run the 800 fresh, the school record would also be his (1:55ish). Also, this kid was THIRD in CC but never had the chance to run the 3200. We will never know what kid of time he could've produced.. My guess is close to Powells record. He also possessed mad speed; more than any of the sprinters we have had in the past 4 years and I seen him jump about 19 in the long jump just messing around..

Powell doesn't compare to Tray because Tray's overall range of talent was alot better.

BUT his reign won't last past this year... ;)