Imagine

bkelly

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak for BA, but I did a little research on MBA last year as it related to the football team. Here's a cut and paste (from a thread from last year called "The Great Divide") of what I was able to determine:

davidlimbaugh's posts regarding where private school students come from got me thinking, so I decided to do a little research on MBA. It's not that easy - you have to know parents' names, current addresses, and admittedly I do not know them all and/or have access to all (and I'm not going to call MBA for a directory), but here's what I have, courtesy of the starting lineups provided by the TSSAA at the Clinic Bowl, public county real estate records, the local phone book, Yahoo! Maps, and MBA's annual report.

Of MBA's 11 regular starters on defense in 2003, I have pretty solid info on 9 of the 11. Eight (8) of the nine live in either the MBA zip code (37205) or the adjoining zip code (37215; essentially Green Hills). These eight players live a collective 23 miles from the MBA campus. That's an average distance of 2.88 miles; 6 of the 8 live a distance less than 2.88 miles from MBA. As for the other two, I do not know the names of one of the player's parents; the other player, I do know the names, and I'm pretty sure they live in one of the aforementioned zip codes. That player's parents donated anywhere from 38-76% of the annual tuition of MBA to the school this past fiscal year - safe to say the student is not on aid. Knowing what I know about the aforementioned zip codes, I'd say there's not a lot of aid given to those families either.

Of MBA's 11 regular starters on offense in 2003, I have pretty solid info on 9 of the 11. Four (4) of the nine live in either 37205 or 37215. These nine players live a collective 46.5 miles from the MBA campus. That's an average distance of 5.17 miles; 5 of the 9 live a distance less than 5.17 miles from MBA. As for the other two, I have sketchy info on one - he may live 20 miles away (Franklin) - not sure about this one. The other one, I do not know the parents' names.

Looking through the depth chart, and taking some random samples, it's more of the same - a lot of kids who live 10 miles or less away from MBA (and many much, much closer than that). Moving away from athletics for a moment, I'd say that the sample taken from the football team is fairly indicative of the geographical demographics of the entire student body.

I don't know if MBA has any athletes from Murfreesboro or places that far away; unless I see some names, I doubt it. Regardless of whether they do or not, a little research will yield that the typical MBA kid is a "local" product from a family with the wherewithal to pay most, if not all, of the required tuition (FWIW, MBA's latest tax returns show that only about 6-7% of total tuition dollars were "forgiven" as part of the financial aid program).

I can't speak for BA, but I did a little research on MBA last year as it related to the football team.  Here's a cut and paste (from a thread from last year called "The Great Divide") of what I was able to determine:

davidlimbaugh's posts regarding where private school students come from got me thinking, so I decided to do a little research on MBA. It's not that easy - you have to know parents' names, current addresses, and admittedly I do not know them all and/or have access to all (and I'm not going to call MBA for a directory), but here's what I have, courtesy of the starting lineups provided by the TSSAA at the Clinic Bowl, public county real estate records, the local phone book, Yahoo! Maps, and MBA's annual report.

Of MBA's 11 regular starters on defense in 2003, I have pretty solid info on 9 of the 11. Eight (8) of the nine live in either the MBA zip code (37205) or the adjoining zip code (37215; essentially Green Hills). These eight players live a collective 23 miles from the MBA campus. That's an average distance of 2.88 miles; 6 of the 8 live a distance less than 2.88 miles from MBA. As for the other two, I do not know the names of one of the player's parents; the other player, I do know the names, and I'm pretty sure they live in one of the aforementioned zip codes. That player's parents donated anywhere from 38-76% of the annual tuition of MBA to the school this past fiscal year - safe to say the student is not on aid. Knowing what I know about the aforementioned zip codes, I'd say there's not a lot of aid given to those families either.

Of MBA's 11 regular starters on offense in 2003, I have pretty solid info on 9 of the 11. Four (4) of the nine live in either 37205 or 37215. These nine players live a collective 46.5 miles from the MBA campus. That's an average distance of 5.17 miles; 5 of the 9 live a distance less than 5.17 miles from MBA. As for the other two, I have sketchy info on one - he may live 20 miles away (Franklin) - not sure about this one. The other one, I do not know the parents' names.

Looking through the depth chart, and taking some random samples, it's more of the same - a lot of kids who live 10 miles or less away from MBA (and many much, much closer than that). Moving away from athletics for a moment, I'd say that the sample taken from the football team is fairly indicative of the geographical demographics of the entire student body.

I don't know if MBA has any athletes from Murfreesboro or places that far away; unless I see some names, I doubt it. Regardless of whether they do or not, a little research will yield that the typical MBA kid is a "local" product from a family with the wherewithal to pay most, if not all, of the required tuition (FWIW, MBA's latest tax returns show that only about 6-7% of total tuition dollars were "forgiven" as part of the financial aid program).

825363325[/snapback]

I suggested some years ago that we might consider a classification system based on the population of a given area around a school...say a circle with a 15 mile radius....Base all schools on this regardless of where there school board zones are... You might find some interesting shifts in classes.... How many people live within a 15 mile radius of MBA? How about Riverdale? Warren Co.? etc.... I'd say the 1A publics would have been more than pleased with the results...

Would it be accurate to say that the majority of students who attend the larger private schools, live in a proximity to the school that would logically send them to that school? In other words, do most BA students live close to BA, etc?

825363292[/snapback]

Yes, the vast majority of BA's students live in Brentwood. That is also true of virtually all the athletic teams, with the exception of basketball the last couple of years.

BTW, I wouldn't call BA a "big private school". There are about 425 students in the upper school, split 50/50 between boys and girls.

Edited by itzme

I suggested some years ago that we might consider a classification system based on the population of a given area around a school...say a circle with a 15 mile radius....

825363567[/snapback]

That suggestion makes absolutely no sense. For example within a 15 mile radius of CPA, you have Hillsboro, Hillwood, Brentwood and maybe Franklin in addition to Ensworth, BA, MBA, Nashville Christian, Harpeth Hall, David Lipscomb and FRA all competing for the same student population. I am sure that the rural schools would love it.

Edited by Bighurt

Would things be different if private schools had a limited athlete pool to choose from like public schools do?

For example, I have about 150 boys each year that come to me as freshman. That is all, no more. They come from two middle schools. I can't get any more from anywhere else.

Those same 150 boys could go to one of several private schools in middle TN. From 15 min. away to an hour and a half away. As could the countless number of middle schoolers in Nashville, Rutherford, and the rest of middle TN.

Imagine the numbers, Imagine the possiblities.

The size of your athlete pool makes a huge difference.

St. X school in Louisville has around 2500 boys. They compete at a high level in everything, every year. What a pool to pick from.

Just some things to think about.

Edited by bkelly

Would things be different if private schools had a limited athlete pool to choose from like public schools do?

825367008[/snapback]

Should we limit the pools of open-zoned public schools as well?

How do you feel competing for state championships against open-zoned public schools, which cast a larger web than your school presumably does?

For example, I have about 150 boys each year that come to me as freshman. That is all, no more. They come from two middle schools. I can't get any more from anywhere else.

Those same 150 boys could go to one of several private schools in middle TN. From 15 min. away to an hour and a half away. As could the countless number of middle schoolers in Nashville, Rutherford, and the rest of middle TN.

825367008[/snapback]

Do all of those 150 boys have what it takes academically to get into any or all private schools?

Do you take any comfort in the fact that none of those 150 boys had to pass an entrance exam to get into your school; i.e., their admission was guaranteed?

Edited by rollredroll

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. I think that its safe to say that most private schools draw their students from nearby the respective school. As for MBA, I think RollRedRoll's research supports that. However, not all kids do live close by. I lived in Williamson County and drove 30 minutes, each way, to school every day at MBA. Because my parents chose to live in Williamson County was I not supposed to go to MBA? Was I supposed to go to BGA, or Franklin, or CPA, etc? My parents had the right to send me to any school they wanted. They wanted me to have the best education possible, so MBA was it, even though it was not close to home. By nature, private schools must actively seek out students. They are not bound by zones. We all know this. If they were, I guess I wouldn't have had much choice and that would have been a shame.

Just want to set the record straight in Kentucky regarding St. Xavier and Trinity.

Both schools are all boys schools with approximately 1400 students in grades 9 through 12. Not 2500. This still presents quite a pool to choose from in athletics.

Likewise the Catholic girls high schools in Louisville have similar size pools to choose from.(Assumption, Sacred Heart, Mercy)

The Catholic schools, particularly from Louisville, tend to dominate all of the fall sports in the state of Kentucky.(Football, Soccer, Golf, Volleyball)

www.thsrock.net/about/index.html

www.saintx.com/pdf/StXProfile2004.pdf

Imagine the numbers, Imagine the possiblities.

The size of your athlete pool makes a huge difference.

St. X school in Louisville has around 2500 boys. They compete at a high level in everything, every year. What a pool to pick from.

Just some things to think about.

825367008[/snapback]

Are you implying that all private schools have an unlimited pool from which to draw athletes? Or are you saying that size really does matter?

I am just throwing some things out to think about, and to get some input from the masses out there.

I don't imply anything.

I say bring em all on. I will play anyone at any time. I have beaten some and lost to some. I use to schedule all of the private schools.We are most generally treated first class. I have alot of friends who coach at private schools. They make my teams tougher. I have had to adjust our schedule lately because of new schools in our district.

There were some great comments back to me. The entrance exam is a very good point. It does cut the pool down. And the person was right about the open zoned public schools, it can make a difference in the pool.

My info on St. X came straight from the KHSAA web site, I could have read it wrong however, I will check it again and correct myself when I have time.

Some of you are very sensitive on this issue, and don't know me and the way I look at things. Therefore:

I don't mean to offend so I will stop posting.