region 8

dragon12

Westside has dropped thier program. White Station is frantically looking for a replacement coach. Arlington is a new program but only has 9th grade. Brighton is a new program. They split off from the Munford-Brighton unified team from the last couple of years. Ashten and Demetrius Johnson will give that program some instant credibility at the expense of Munford.

We are somewhat young. As Coach House from SBA noted, we have no juniors. We have the bodies. We just need to get them performing at a high level. That is of course the hard part.

Edited by CoachDelgado

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The loss of Westside certainly drops off a team that was steadily competitive. It was only a few years ago that they produced a state champion. But I had no idea that DeDe transferred, that is HUGE. What a boon for CBHS and a loss for Ridgeway, I will have to check the eligibility rules tomorrow to see if he will be eligible for competition but I think he will be.

I hadn't realized that Brighton's team would be taking such a substantial part of Munford's team with them... that will help Brighton be competitive from the get-go. Cordova has several natural athletes back this year (and according to my sister who is a freshman there they may have some new recruits) and one of my favorites is Stewart Allen... he is without a doubt one of the most agile heavyweights I have ever seen in my short time in this sport. Don't count Houston short, their coached always get them ready and they do have some good senior leadership on board. Germantown returns a lot and most of them have been working hard this off season. I think Bolton and Bartlett will be around the same level as they were last year with a lot of kids comng back by my understanding. Collierville lost a lot of key players but still has a great core to build around. With DeDe gone and a few graduating I think Ridgeway may drop a little but Coach Bray knows how to get his kids ready. I really hope White Station finds a coach because I would hate to lose anothor team in our already small area. I think both DI and DII will have some interesting races out West this year...

I really can't wait for Black Horse this year! It is going to be an exciting tournament with lots of wrestlers and teams looking to make a statement...

Dragon12,

I would love to hear your take on Hunt, I would hate to see him go. Shoot me an e-mail if you feel inclined to share... I will take it all as speculation anyway.

Anybody out there got any opinions on the DII schools in the West? I know I am stirring my own pot, but out here we are so few in our wrestling community that while we don't compete with you guys for the region we wrestle DI guys as often as DII so I want to hear what you have to say about our neck of the woods...

Edited by WrestleSBA

the only DII school I know a little about is Briarcrest. They have three wrestlers that consistently train in the offseason and they faired pretty well last year. They are Fink,Jackson, and Bolton at 119, 125-130, and 140-145 respectively. Also heard they had a respectable turnout for preseason training.

as DI is concerned, I would like to here what returners from each team and their potential weight class. That would help in discussions on each teams strength. Lets get the discussions going, I finally have a life now that coacht is alive! Isn't that sad!

Concerning DII, not sure who CBHS graduated, however they did add Dede and also have a potential state placer in freshman Johnny Holiday. Not trying to put to much pressure on the kid (state placer) but I have watched him wrestle since 7th grade and he will do well, good kid as well. Just wait, he will get plenty of coacht press

Enfuego,

CBHS graduated Ben Campbell(275 state medalist), Justin Saint (215 state medalist), Michael Marable (189, 2x state champ), Jay Simpson (171 state finalist), Nathan Velasco (160), Andrew Newman (145 state medalist). I know that probably sounds like a lot, and it was, but CBHS has more than enoguh very talented kids to reload and come back and be just as strong this year. After all they did manage do bring home 11 medals last year from state and are losing only half of those contributors to graduation.

I think Briarcrest will be showing up with a strong team this year. The three you mentioned along with their 215 Jackson should all be strong contributors. Any idea if they have any strong new kids about to show up?

Did Johnny Holiday wrestle for the Purple Wave MS team last year? I coach at that level as well and was wondering what weight he was because I don't remember seeing him even though I am sure I would have. He may have just been in a weight class that I didn't have any kids in and therefore didn't get to watch as closely

I know Briarcrest has pulled in some young athletes, just don't think they have any wrestling experience. Not sure why you didn't see Holliday. He should have been around the 135-145 range and I assumed that he wrestled for CBHS Middle. He has come up wrestling with the Baukes' and DeDe. They do a lot of travel wrestling. This will probably get me in trouble for stating this opinion but that is what this forum is for. I am guessing he did not have a lot of middle school competition and is wrestling on the regional and national level.

I know Briarcrest has pulled in some young athletes, just don't think they have any wrestling experience.  Not sure why you didn't see Holliday. He should have been around the 135-145 range and I assumed that he wrestled for CBHS Middle.  He has come up wrestling with the Baukes' and DeDe.  They do a lot of travel wrestling.  This will probably get me in trouble for stating this opinion but that is what this forum is for. I am guessing he did not have a lot of middle school competition and is wrestling on the regional and national level.

825387455[/snapback]

I think you are probably right... I don't remember a lot of kids around that weight in the city last year. I know I didn't really have a kid around that weight so I probably wasn't watching for him. I do remember several different stand-outs from their team last year that might be moving up into high school. Should make for some interesting competition on CBHS's team because I know they had severla people around that weight. I will keep an eye out for him early.

I don't know a lot of them because a lot of the school's here in region eight haven't done their registration and won't until the 30th. I know it is affecting us because from our preliminary checks the majority of our team is under 7%.

I think Josh would have been moving up even if DeDe hadn't come over. Last time I saw him he was looking a bit taller and maintaining 112 might have been diffivult for him with the new regulations but that is only speculation on my part.

As far as major weight shifts on our team Taylor Wynn, or 112 from last year, is looking at 125 but could end up at 130 with the new regulations. Also our 145 from last year Doug Taylor will be moving up to 162 or 171. He has really packed on a lot of muscle without affecting his speed so it should be a good move for him. Not sure about anybody else in the West.

I knew about Harmon and Robinson coming up to CBHS from the middle school squad but I somehow managed to miss Holliday. I also think everybody knew about the talent the Brothers had waiting in the wings at the heavier weights... it was just a matter of time before they were able to step in and continue the recent streak of good big men out of CBHS.

Does anyone know where Nick Marable is going to end up thies year????