Brentwood Academy vs. MBA

tastyoats

Really good high school football game. RRR gave a good synopsis. The difference in the first half was MBA's superior kicking game. All the difference really. That kid is really good!! In the second half, MBA wore the Eagles down a bit with some superior depth. I was proud of our guys for digging in and making it close at the end.

Congratulations to MBA for a hard fought win. At the risk of being cliche, this game is what high school sports should be about. Every player on both sides playing their guts out, and hitting each other as hard as they possibly can (and there were some slobber-knockers tonight), yet great sportsmanship, and genuine respect for the opponents on both sides.

See you in the playoffs, i hope. i would not be surprised in the least.

BTW, both teams host home playoff games next week. Baylor travels to MBA, and CBHS travels to BA. Good luck to both teams.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game........high school football at it's best. I'm sure MBA is glad to win and BA is upset at losing, but both teams know the real season starts next week- both teams have a difficult road to get back to Vanderbilt but it wouldn't shock me at all to see these two go at it again for state.

By the way kudos to both teams: MBA has played great all year despite lower expectations due to all the talent lost from last year, and BA has rebounded nicely from an 0-2 start in region play, now the championship is up for grabs.....can't wait to see how this turns out.

Enough about the happenings of the game - I had to grab another six pack for the last five minutes , thought MBA had it well in hand. Unfortunately, I had to watch this one on the tube, but didn't it seem like this game was exceptionally hard hitting tonight?

Tyler Griffin putting Snyder on his back after that spin move.

Birdsong (pancaking Griffin after a run to the left). Bubis.

BA's No. 20 getting trap blocked every play it seemed like in the second half - if youre out there my man you took some punishment but didnt shy away from it - hats off to you.

Townsend sticking Howe near the BA sidelines after a scramble.

Mitchell Williams standing Ford up in the hole after a cutback.

I know this rivalry usually has a handful of good pops but tonight it was noticeably more physical. I was also very glad that the hatred between these two teams was illustrated through the ferocity of tackles and blocks and not the stupidity of face-mask-grabbing and post whistle shoving matches. It was a very clean and very enjoyable game, it's the reason we're rivals baby! Go Big Red.

And to all you BA kids/fans out there - how 'bout ya'll beat McCallie and we'll beat MUS and we'll make this Clinic Bowl thing our own little tradition.

After Howe took the final knee, the first thing both teams did was to reach across the line and shake hands with the guys in the other color. That's a perfect indication of the "respectful hatred" that is always so evident in this series. When the game's going on, those kids couldn't have a bigger enemy, but when it's over they always give the other team their due. Both sides have always handled themselves with dignity before, during, and after the game -- a product of superb coaching and parenting, and an attitude that is very representative of what fine institutions Brentwood Academy and Montgomery Bell Academy really are.

Anyone who's ever doubted the heart and class of these two schools just needed to watch last night's game.

Great rivalry that seems to meet everyone's expectations year and year out. As we have seen is years past these two certainly could meet up again the the State Finals. While both have to play an extra game due to seeding, MBA may have drew the more difficult road with MUS looming in the distance.

I'll go ahead and throw this out: the refs were horribly one sided.  Did anyone else notice this?

825407978[/snapback]

Chill out. The refs had no impact on the game's results. We don't whine or complain about refs. Leave that to others, please. MBA won, BA lost, let's move on to the playoffs.

Edited by itzme

WatchThis Posted Today, 11:23 AM

I'll go ahead and throw this out: the refs were horribly one sided. Did anyone else notice this

?

Let's not start down that road. Calls are a part of the game and I do not

believe that the ref's impacted the game.

Both teams showed tremendous courage and determination. Kudos to BA's

men in the trenches (particularly Nick Forte). Many of these guys played both

ways and rose to the challenge down the stretch.

Congratulations to MBA. You were excellent hosts and your fans and team

deserve the win. As noted in other posts, the teams demonstrated tremendous

mutual respect.

As the parent of a Freshman, I was excited that my son was one of the few

allowed to dress for the game. Even though he did not see action, it was

important for him to be part of that atmosphere and be able to look forward to

the next few years of this great rivalry when hopefully he will be one of the

men in the heat of battle.

As a BA parent, I know many of the MBA parents and kids and have tremendous

respect for the school and program. Head to head, I hope we beat them like

a drum. Otherwise, I pull for the Big Red.

Thanks to MBA for an exciting night of "Friday Night Lights".