Brentwood Academy vs. MBA

tastyoats

Let me start off by saying that I don't want to take anything away from MBA because they definitely deserved to win the game. They played hard and are obviously very well coached. One thing, though, that I think every Super Seven coach will tell you is that MBA is notorious for holding, in particular their offensive line. The fact that they didn't get one holding penalty called on them last night has to mean something. At the same time, I don't believe BA had one called on them either, so it isn't as if the refs are one-sided, at least in that aspect. Don't know what my point is, just thought I'd throw that out there.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My comment wasn't meant to be an "excuse". MBA averages 5 hold penalties a game, they did not have one called. They were tackling our players. I'm just pointing this out because I hate that home teams have a reffing advantage. This is pretty much true anywhere you go, but in a rivalry game like this I don't enjoy it. Beasley's "late hit" etc. Sorry don't hate me.

Edited by WatchThis

Congratulations to the Big Red on the win and congrats to both teams for a well played game. Great game, but my Big Red almost gave me a heart attack at the end. Gotta give credit to the BA offense for the late score and late drive. Up until the last five minutes or so, the MBA defense had pretty much controlled them, but BA stepped up and made us earn it. It also looked like BA was playing a lot more guys both ways and you could tell they were tired, but they performed admirably. Great job by Rascoe Dean filling in at center for MBA. The o line didn't seem to miss a beat(although, Edwards will be severely missed). Defensively, I was real impressed with Parker Prevost. He was all over the field, as was Beckner. Bubis really played well, also. Coach Brown told me that Bubis has the best feet of anybody he's ever coached. He's the key to that d-lineand his blocked punt was a key to the win. I can't say enough about MBA's special teams. Handfeldt is very impressive and the blocking and tackling on punts was supurb. As for the holding...every team holds. I think you could find holding on almost every play if you really looked closely and that goes for high school, college, and pro. Having said that, MBA uses some very sophisticated blocking schemes and does alot of zone blocking. We started it when I was there(mid '90's) and every team we played thought we were holding, as did many of the uninformed refs. If you look, closely, there's not as much holding going as you might think. Again, great effort on both teams' part. This was another classic between two class programs. Roll Red!

Edited by TheBigRedDog

Let me start off by saying that I don't want to take anything away from MBA because they definitely deserved to win the game. They played hard and are obviously very well coached. One thing, though, that I think every Super Seven coach will tell you is that MBA is notorious for holding, in particular their offensive line. The fact that they didn't get one holding penalty called on them last night has to mean something. At the same time, I don't believe BA had one called on them either, so it isn't as if the refs are one-sided, at least in that aspect. Don't know what my point is, just thought I'd throw that out there.

825408280[/snapback]

Coolio,

All coaches that are worth anything teach their O-line kids how to hold, including your own. Usually, they are ok as long as they do not extend their arms. If one wanted to, one could probably call holding on every play. Itzme is right, this was a great game that could have gone either way. Depth played a key role in the third quarter, but the same "tired" BA boys put together two fantastic drives in the 4th which speaks straight to their character.

I am afraid that we will not see the rematch; I hope I am wrong, but I don't see it happening.

FlyBy

When I was at MBA, Coach Clay suggested that we all buy one pair of white gloves and one pair of dark gloves so that we could get away with holding more often. He also taught me how to "accidentally" get my arm caught between someone's legs on a hook block after a pull. He and Coach Caudill also taught us how to Izzy, Ozzy, Stretch Base, Rip Reach and Lean, Pull and Over Take, Cut, Ice, BOB, 90 protect, 680 protect, and in general, block well as a unit and an individual. We were a very undersized line my senior year, but we still blew teams out with a solid running and passing game because we were extremely well coached. Sure, we held a little, be so does every team, and sometimes, even we got caught. It's part of the game. Just like the refs and the goal poasts, so I have little sympathy for this complaint. Winnners do what it takes to win. Losers don't. Both of them caught somtimes, sometimes they don't.

Edited by Redtwin

RedTwin,

you guys also had a pretty dang good QB that year too. hehe.

825411654[/snapback]

We sure did... And a fullback... And some tailbacks... and a Tight End... and a cornerback... and several others. We also had a pretty dang good team that year, as they have a several years after us, but Reid Murphy scoring 4 touchdowns in a route against a much larger Oakland team made us fat boys fell pretty good too.

Edited by Redtwin

I am afraid that we will not see the rematch; I hope I am wrong, but I don't see it happening.

FlyBy

825411560[/snapback]

Does that mean you don't see MBA making it there, or BA, or both?

Both teams have long roads to get there, so the road is tough. But anything is possible. MBA did it in 2002, beating Baylor at home, MUS on the road, and then BA in the finals. Eerily familiar territory.