Melrose Defense

kwc

This is one of the most awesome displays of defensive prowess that I have ever seen in my lifetime. Seven shut-outs and only 22 points allowed during the regular season ... and there was some very good competition in those 10 games. Wow!

Where does this regular season defense rank amoung the best deffinsive teams throughout Memphis in the past? Heck ... in the state even? I don't know, but I would have to think that this Melrose defense has to be ranked among the best throughout the history of prep football in Tennessee. There may have been some better ... but I doubt that there are many.

The irony of it all is that last years team graduated the majority of their defensive lineman, and 3 of the six D-1 signees off of last years team were DBs ... 1 corner and 2 safties. Simply .... unbelieveable.

Oh yeah, Dyersburg probably won't score either in the 1st round of the playoffs.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melrose's defense was apparently spectacular this year. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up against Maryville's offense, should that matchup materialize.

I'd love to know the modern era (since the beginning of the playoff system) record for regular season defense as well. Perhaps Earl Nall may have some data.

I can think of at least one regular season defense that allowed fewer points. There certainly may be more.

what team was that rollredoll? it has been amazing the nubers that defense has put up, their coach has to be comfortable every week knowing he has those guys he can depend on.

825410971[/snapback]

MBA 17 Tullahoma 0

MBA 0 Antioch 7

MBA 30 Beech 7

MBA 14 Hillwood 0

MBA 13 Dickson County 0

MBA 42 Pearl-Cohn 0

MBA 28 Glencliff 0

MBA 54 Hillsboro 0

MBA 14 Father Ryan 7

MBA 21 Overton 0

Melrose's defense was apparently spectacular this year.  It will be interesting to see how it stacks up against Maryville's offense, should that matchup materialize.

I'd love to know the modern era (since the beginning of the playoff system) record for regular season defense as well.  Perhaps Earl Nall may have some data.

I can think of at least one regular season defense that allowed fewer points.  There certainly may be more.

825410969[/snapback]

I'm not 100% sure if it was less than 22, but the 1997 Union City team had a dang good defense too. If anybody can find the results, post them because I can't find them anywhere.

If the Milan-Mitchell game isnt going so well early I might head over to Orange Mound. Anyone have directions to Melrose's Field??

825411116[/snapback]

LOL @ westtn2004. It's evident that you have never been to a Melrose stadium filled to the brim. That's not a place you just "pop" over to see a game on Friday night ... if Melrose is playing that is. Especially during the playoffs! Traffic will be backed up! I doubt that Dyersburg will fill their side of the stadium ... although I know that the opponents side will be filled as well with folks other then Dyersburg fans. trust me on that ... seats will be hard to get.

If you are comming from J.P. Freeman field ... take Holmes Rd. east until you get to Airways Rd. (Approx. 1 1/2 miles +/-) (J.P. Freeman is on the corner of Tulane Rd. & Holmes Rd. ... Tulane runs north/south ... Holmes runs east/west). Turn left and go north on Airways Rd. until you come to Park Ave. (Approx. 8 - 10 miles +/-). Make a right on Park Ave. and go approximately 1 mile to Melrose stadium on your right. (south side of road)

Edited by kwc

If the Milan-Mitchell game isnt going so well early I might head over to Orange Mound. Anyone have directions to Melrose's Field??

825411116[/snapback]

Glad to hear you aren't afraid of the neighborhood like your school's administration would be.

Seeing a game at Melrose is a lot of fun, but the most fun part, IMO, requires getting there an hour and a half or so before gametime -- seeing the team, then a little later the band, march down the road to the stadium.

KWC is right, though -- Melrose isn't just a place you can randomly drop by and get in quickly.

Yea i have to agree with you all, this is the best display of defense that i have ever seen, i think they give up like 2.4 points per game. The top defense in the entire state, i just dont understand how a team shut down these offenses. They played some explosive teams throughout the season. I cant wait to see how West Tn does this week in play!!!