Randy Sanders

Gerry Bertier

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Oakland

this question seems to come up every time ut loses. sanders is doing just fine, ut has talented, but young skill players. usually when ya lose your 1st and 2nd string qb's :D .

After seeing horrible playcalling the last couple of years, is it time for a change at the OC position?

825422559[/snapback]

I have been very critical of Randy Sanders and his play calling for the past several years but I think he has done a fabulous job this season with the freshmen quarterbacks and with the play calling. Tennessee is 7-2 and is just two wins away from the SEC Championship game if you would have told me that when the year started I wouldn't have believed you! I think he has won another year plus he has been pretty good in recruiting the past couple of years with getting Erik Ainge last year and it looks like he will get UT Jonathan Crompton this spring!

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my gripe on Sanders. It may be an extension of Fulmer, but I'm directing it at Sanders because he calls the plays.

Why did we not 1) throw it down the field earlier, and 2) throw it over the middle earlier against Auburn? Maybe it's just me, but the offense always seems to open up a lot more one we realize it's legal to throw the ball between the hashes. At the early part of the season when we were moving the ball up and down the field, we used the MIDDLE of the field. We finally started using it in the 2nd half and that opened up the running game and helped the passing game. After the bad game agaisnt Auburn by Ainge, it was almost like the coaches were afraid to use the middle of the field again. Go back and compare the games from UNLV through Auburn to Ole Miss through ND and you will notice a drastic difference.

Sorry, but I've never understood this and never will. I realize it's a risk/reward situation, but the reward is worth the gamble.

Come on guys! I've been hearing about throwing to the tight end, across the middle and the old draw play as long as I've been following the Vols. When I went to the Hill I told my old hometown buddy that he'd hear me on the pre-game show asking Bill Anderson 'Why don't we throw across the middle?'! I think Sanders is an extension of Fulmer and the guy is averaging 9 wins since he got the job. Believe it or not, these are the good old days! Ask Bama.........

Edited by ksgovols

Just so long as he doesn't get first consideration for Fulmer's job when he retires...

And yes, Fulmer has earned the right to stay until he's ready to retire...

825470162[/snapback]

Bet me any amount of $$ you feel comfortable with that he doesn't get that chance...we'll have a new coach in the next 3 to 5 years. A few guys named Meyer, Spurrier, Richt and Tuberville will see to that. I have been a supporter of Coach Fulmer's from the beginning, but he will not leave Randy alone long enough for Randy to win games for us, against the guys mentioned above.

You don't have to agree...just mark me on that. thumb

I'll mark you on it, but I sure don't agree with it.

When a man wins a National Championship, he's got some leverage. It's madness to expect a 13-0 season every year...he's still one of the best recruiters in the country and we're going to be set at the QB position for the next 7 years (Crompton and then Jimmy Clausen).

He got a win over Richt this season and there's no reason to believe we won't see him repeat that for the next couple of years. The Vols are back in the middle of the NC hunt in 2006 if not next year.