Speed Training

bdog3741

is htis oneof thebig topic at the bearden booster meeting

825439908[/snapback]

Bearden is taking bids to have a strength and conditioning coaches come in and do our spring weight lifting and conditioning. Right now Fort sanders west has put in a bid and we are waiting on another company to submit another. Either way come jan 1 our coaches will not be conducting our strength and conditioning program all the way till camp. After reading everything that Grey Ghost has written im starting to believe this will be a good thing for our program.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Either way come jan 1 our coaches will not be conducting our strength and conditioning program all the way till camp. 

that is completely crazy

does anyone out there no what they are doing? boy you boys are goin down hill quick because of stuff just like this

Edited by goldballs

I recommend that the booster's program at each school pay for a coach on staff at the high school to take the NSCA "CSCS" exam. I firmly believe that the off-season is where you mold the mind-set of the team, and your coaching staff must be visible and knowledgeable. I would not pay x amount of dollars to turn my players over to an outside source. I know that they know what they are doing, but my point is that the players need to see the coach(s) taking the lead in this. After all, a head coach wouldn't hire a consultant to call plays on Friday night would he?

As of last year, the 2 part test (CSCS)was between $200 and $250 dollars. Not that being certified is the most important aspect, but players might buy into it a bit more.

I recommend that the booster's program at each school pay for a coach on staff at the high school to take the NSCA "CSCS" exam. I firmly believe that the off-season is where you mold the mind-set of the team, and your coaching staff must be visible and knowledgeable. I would not pay x amount of dollars to turn my players over to an outside source. I know that they know what they are doing, but my point is that the players need to see the coach(s) taking the lead in this. After all, a head coach wouldn't hire a consultant to call plays on Friday night would he?

As of last year, the 2 part test (CSCS)was between $200 and $250 dollars. Not that being certified is the most important aspect, but players might buy into it a bit more.

825440131[/snapback]

that was recomended to the coach tonight but he was not interested in it.

Gentlemen, please understand how detailed the CSCS exam is. It is not a walk in the park. I have a degree in the field, and it was still the most difficult exam I have ever taken. It will take 3-6 months of really studying hard to pass this exam. You cannot prepare for it in a few weeks. For instance, where should the bar be aligned when performing the first pull in a power clean: a) over the talus :angry: over the metatarsals, c) over the tarsals, or d) over the toes?

You must know all the synergist and antagonist muscles and how they may vary from slight supination or pronation in a particular movement. You must understand biomechanical advantage (leverage) in movements (such as forces acting on levers at different angles). You must understand anterior and posterior shear forces at the joints, especially the knees. You must know physics and how the laws of physics applies to sports performance. Conversions, such as calculating force in Newtons, and know your metric system extremely well. Obviously you need to know anatomy and physiology. That's the easy part. There's only over 200 bones and over 400 voluntary muscles. That's the easy part. Nutrition is a big section on the test. How many kcal surplus is needed to gain 1 lb of muscle, and is that the same differential for burning 1 lb of fat? This is why the CSCS exam is the cream of the crop in certifications. It's the king so to speak, which is why collegiate and professional teams won't even look at you if you don't have it - usually (you can always know somebody - politics still work great at getting a job at the next level). Anyway, I just don't want someone making the mistake of registering for the test, receiving the incredibly thick textbook, and it just reading like greek because you had no idea of the depth of the exam. This is why the NSCA encourages you to have had a B.S. in the field. Of course you don't have to, but you do have to have a bachelor's to sit for the exam. A personal training certification doesn't sound as "sporty", but it will be easier to pass, and you'll come away knowing how to design a sound program and apply the proper techniques. But the depth of the CSCS goes beyond all others, looking at complete 52 week paradigms for all sports. You must understand the demands of all the sports, not just a couple, to pass the CSCS exam. It is complex. So, if you register, good luck. Only about 58% of the people that take it pass it. It is too expensive to have to take a 2nd time. The above person is right, it's about $250 right now. Plus, you'll probably have to travel to Memphis or Atlanta to take the exam. Knoxville may have a sitting for it. You'll have to buy the textbook ($69 I think), plus I encourage you to buy the study guide and practice exam and videos (there is a video segment to the test, so you have to answer questions quickly) and that's going to be another $75-100. When it's all said and done, you're looking at about $500. Plus, you must be CPR certified. So take care of that first. After you pass, you have to complete several continuing education credits to maintain the credential. My advice is to give yourself about 6 months to prepare for the exam, and possibly longer than that if you haven't had the scientific background in your degree. I am not trying to discourage you, but just warn you of the difficulty. It will take a lot of work, like you're back in school again. If you're interested, go to www.nsca-cc.org

Good Luck!

Starting a program should begin with flexibility training (period). You can never spend too much time on it. Coaches and athletes think if they pound some iron they are going to get stronger. This is true, but they'll never reach their full protential by lifting, sprinting, or jumping without great flexibility. So you got a guy who squats 500lbs. He has strong quads & gluts, but he can't move. You got a problem and you have let that kid down by not properly preparing him. Flexibility will allow the athlete to carry his muscles through their full range of motion. Therefore, the athlete will perform at peak performance. If ya wanna know how to train your kids, read anything you can on strength. Remember to prepare the ground before ya plant the seed.

Ghost-

I will agree with you, the CSCS exam was one of the most difficult tests I have ever taken. Only eclipsed by the NATA Athletic Trainers exam.

I understand a number of athletes are going to Ft. Sanders for SAQ. I think that is great, but how can an athlete expect to make marked improvments in such a large group setting?

The Athlete Training Center in Maryville (run by Appalachian Therapy) also provides sports performance training, in small group settings (no larger than 8). I've seen great improvments in my athletes performance, and have been able to provide greater attention to my athletes to address their specific needs.

I encourage anyone interested in training to ask questions, and do research on your own to find the best program to suit your needs. Professionals are often more than willing to answer questions and provide guidance regarding any question you might have.

To all of you athletes out there- good luck with your training. Be safe, work hard.

TJ Saunders, ATC/L, CSCS

Director of Performance

Athlete Training Center

Ghost-

I will agree with you, the CSCS exam was one of the most difficult tests I have ever taken. Only eclipsed by the NATA Athletic Trainers exam.

I understand a number of athletes are going to Ft. Sanders for SAQ. I think that is great, but how can an athlete expect to make marked improvments in such a large group setting?

The Athlete Training Center in Maryville (run by Appalachian Therapy) also provides sports performance training, in small group settings (no larger than 8). I've seen great improvments in my athletes performance, and have been able to provide greater attention to my athletes to address their specific needs.

I encourage anyone interested in training to ask questions, and do research on your own to find the best program to suit your needs. Professionals are often more than willing to answer questions and provide guidance regarding any question you might have.

To all of you athletes out there- good luck with your training. Be safe, work hard.

TJ Saunders, ATC/L, CSCS

Director of Performance

Athlete Training Center

825441061[/snapback]

For a team like Bearden who is fixing to spend well over $5 gran to bring in a group for the next 7-8 months, what would you and ghost recomend? Is the 3 people fort sanders sends going to be good enough for about 50-70 kids or is there a better solution to this. ( besides bringing in 10 trainers)? Do you feel that our program will benifiit from bringing these guys in?

For a team like Bearden who is fixing to spend well over $5 gran to bring in a group for the next 7-8 months, what would you and ghost recomend?  Is the 3 people fort sanders sends going to be good enough for about 50-70 kids or is there a better solution to this. ( besides bringing in 10 trainers)?  Do you feel that our program will benifiit from bringing these guys in?

825442182[/snapback]

You will see some benefits from doing the added work in and of itself.

Will it be the most beneficial program, having a ratio of 3 trainers to 50-70 athletes? Maybe, maybe not..... Remember, your coaches will be there to assist in the training, so it won't be so athlete loaded......

Athletes who have individual issues or needs will not receive the attention they would get from a more personal program, but for the most part, any work will help the good of the team. And those players needing extra attention will always be able to seek it on their own.

Hope this helps, good luck in the off-season.

Work Hard, Train Safe.

T.J. Saunders ATC/L, CSCS

Director of Performance

Athlete Training Center

Appalachian Therapy Center

Maryville, TN

Edited by FSUATC