Disgrace in Detroit

Oh yeah...and where's your outrage about the fight in the South Carolina-Clemson game.  Still think the realm of punkdom is extremely concentrated in the NBA?

825443802[/snapback]

Well, Tommy Bowden exclaimed how the media had been shoving that NBA fight down everyones throats every minute of the day and late last night. His team had watched it all. It was the general concensus of the talking heads on CBS that Tommy was right and the fight should have been just a few clips rather than the full tape at every showing. I still say the NBA is PUNKDOM and if nothing is done about it soon, so will every other sport. :lol:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you just watch the ESPN highlights and you don't actually watch games.

I'll tell you what.  Come to Memphis sometime for a Grizzlies game, I'll buy you a ticket (probably the $5 variety, maybe the $12, I'm cheap like that) and we'll watch in person...see if you still think there's no hustle and no team play.  Shot selection isn't always good, part of that due to the shot clock.  But the NBA game is a lot more entertaining, and a lot better, than you give them credit for.

825443799[/snapback]

I watched the NBA for years. I was an avid follower until the Bulls second championship. That next year, I was turned off by the many smack talks and individualism shown by the players trying to up Michael and get a highlight reel on ESPN. Yes, I mostly watch the highlights on ESPN now because of their senseless acts. I was watching last nights game though when it unfolded. I started watching it at home and finished watching it at TOOT'S. Had to take the wife out to eat. Anyway, even in the restaurant, the mood and opinions of the game were of excitement at the fight as it played out but of disdain after it was over. Thugs, punks, lazy players with attitudes is what I heard from the table behind me yet the table across was spouting off about the millions of dollars that it was going to cost the NBA. So, there you have it. Both sides but still the same result. :lol:

Well, Tommy Bowden exclaimed how the media had been shoving that NBA fight down everyones throats every minute of the day and late last night. His team had watched it all. It was the general concensus of the talking heads on CBS that Tommy was right and the fight should have been just a few clips rather than the full tape at every showing. I still say the NBA is PUNKDOM and if nothing is done about it soon, so will every other sport. :lol:

825443815[/snapback]

Oh, so it's the media's fault? Give me a break. That was an act of thugdom from almost all of both teams. It's nobody's fault but their own.

Finally, the league has levied fines and game suspensions for 8 of the players plus a total season ban on Artest. Thuggery may have had a shot across the bow for once in that league. Of course, the union will have to choose how it's going to deal with this situation. Will they stand up like men and back the league or fight for the players and be the snivelling bottom feeders that they always have been. As far as the fans, the courts will take care of them if the DA gets to work. Bottom line, players don't belong in the stands. Fans don't belong on the court. Security and arena organizers together with coaches are to deal with issues of any kind. Not the players. NOT THE PLAYERS!

You can be sure that the league's idea of the amount of penalties to be dealt were not what they ended up with. After watching the "Sports Reporters" this morning, Mike Lupica and the rest of the gang were united in calling for a season ban on Artest and HEAVY TO STIFF suspensions on the rest. I would be willing to bet the leagues minds weren't made up until after that particular show. Not that the show had any influential strings but the fact that the show reflects a lot of the publics views on these type of issues. <_<

It's a shame that so many knowledgeable people on here have claimed that it wasnt the players faults at all. they are PROFESSIONALS, and shouldnt act that way, period. Granted, fans weren't helping the situation, but as you see on the highlights, Artest's "life wasnt in danger" because of a bottle being thrown. had he not been the thug everyone agrees that he is, i really dont know if it would have gotten so bad so quickly. Outfielders get bottles and stuff thrown at them all the time, but how many of them do you see storm the bleachers? Security usually has them (the fan) under wraps very quickly. unfortunately in detroit, i dont know whether artest reacted too quickly or what, but security was nonexistent for the 1st couple minutes of the brawl. so many nba players have backed artest saying "you gotta protect yourself." From a bottle or some beer? thats ridiculous. i agree with those on here who referred to them as childish, fans and players alike. i havent seen the suspensions, but im sure each of them deserveed what they got, with artests punk a having the most. no matter how good of a player he was, or thought he was, i think it will always be overshadowed by his terrible attitude. ive never liked the nba and, although, to an 18 year old, the fight started out kinda exciting, the whole way it went down put a bad taste in my mouth and ignited a severe hate for ron artest.

I wanna know why Ben Wallace only got a 6 game suspensions and he was the one that started the fight between him and Artest. Artest fouled him hard, if Wallace would of been a man instead of a punk and went to shoot his shot instead of shoving Arest this whole mess wouldn't of happened. I think the NBA is showinf some favoritism here and it isn't fair. Jermaine O'Neal didn't go up in the stands, but just defended himself on the floor. I just think some of the suspensions were unfair.

It's a shame that so many knowledgeable people on here have claimed that it wasnt the players faults at all.  they are PROFESSIONALS, and shouldnt act that way, period.  Granted, fans weren't helping the situation, but as you see on the highlights, Artest's "life wasnt in danger" because of a bottle being thrown.  had he not been the thug everyone agrees that he is, i really dont know if it would have gotten so bad so quickly.  Outfielders get bottles and stuff thrown at them all the time, but how many of them do you see storm the bleachers? Security usually has them (the fan) under wraps very quickly.  unfortunately in detroit, i dont know whether artest reacted too quickly or what, but security was nonexistent for the 1st couple minutes of the brawl.  so many nba players have backed artest saying "you gotta protect yourself."  From a bottle or some beer? thats ridiculous.  i agree with those on here who referred to them as childish, fans and players alike.  i havent seen the suspensions, but im sure each of them deserveed what they got, with artests punk a having the most.  no matter how good of a player he was, or thought he was, i think it will always be overshadowed by his terrible attitude.  ive never liked the nba and, although, to an 18 year old, the fight started out kinda exciting, the whole way it went down put a bad taste in my mouth and ignited a severe hate for ron artest.

825446101[/snapback]

1) I never said the players were right. I said it's really easy for us to sit out here and say they shouldn't do that when, if we had beer thrown on us, we'd probably react similarly.

2) Outfielders don't get stuff thrown on them much at all.

3) There was no security in the area before Artest went into the stands. None.