Alcoa vs. Huntingdon for the 2a State Championship

MarshPitManiac

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huntingdon will win this game. Alcoa has a great team but...... i'll guarantee you they haven't seen the kind of physical beating they'll get friday. You can argue back and forth all you want but i'd put milan or huntingdon against alcoa this year and both would physically dominate them.

We will find out Friday. Apparently you have seen Alcoa play. Otherwise I'm sure you wouldn't make such a broad statement. There is a little bit of the unknown from my perspective. Unlike some other folks I wouldn't say my team would dominate anybody without having seen the opponent play.

Alcoa has played some physical teams this year. I don't know enough about Huntingdon to say if the previous games will compare to the kind of physical beating that you say Alcoa will get Friday. I'm thinking Alcoa can hold their own.

could someone please tell me what time they play friday. i do believe alcoa will win this game. ive played them and they are way to fast and physical for most teams in the state. i would tell you what their first five plays would be, but who knows what their gonna run. if you think the first play is a run up the middle, its gonna be a fade to lanxter down the sidelines for 6 points. they are a dominating football team. i hope lindsey gets his record friday. he deserves every bit of it. good luck tornadoes, falcons, and rebels. represent east tn well..

I don't think the middle and east tn teams get it. There is too much speed and power over here on this side of the river. Every game all season is smashmouth football. The playoffs are the same as week 6 for us. Huntingdon, Milan, Westview, Camden, or Carver would win this game. Huntingdon's line is absolutely overpowering right now.  One block and booooooo's gone! And Donald doesn't even need a block. Same as last year. The championship game was played in Milan last night.  H-town 35 Alcoa 21

825455461[/snapback]

I was going to stay off this thread but Give me a break! No question West TN gets more D1 players into school, but the majority of Gold Balls over the years have been driven east. Alcoa has speed and power, and it will take a real effort for any team to stop it now that it has momentum. Tradition is not bad ether. In HS football better than average coaching will also take you along way, and well we got some of that over here too. I know Alcoa is not the best team ever, and I'm not the biggest fan but this year they are clearly on of the best teams in the state reguardless of classification. I expect them to win Friday night by proving it.

could someone please tell me what time they play friday. i do believe alcoa will win this game. ive played them and they are way to fast and physical for most teams in the state. i would tell you what their first five plays would be, but who knows what their gonna run. if you think the first play is a run up the middle, its gonna be a fade to lanxter down the sidelines for 6 points. they are a dominating football team. i hope lindsey gets his record friday. he deserves every bit of it. good luck tornadoes, falcons, and rebels. represent east tn well..

825456097[/snapback]

Classy post rooster, I'm glad we have your support.

West  TN teams always get shafted in the polls.  We have really only one media outlet covering us, that's The Jackson Sun.  Commerical Appeal sticks strictly to the Memphis teams. When one of our teams are ranked really high, you better beleive that's a really special team.  I hope we are as big of underdogs as we were last year.

And I must have forgotten that Alcoa has such big 'media outlets' covering us. I mean It's really pathetic that there always has to be excuses when 'your team' isn't the best, or when someone makes you look stupid.

OK let's cut out the speculation and childish ranting and talk facts. As far as East vs. West in 2A, East has 4 gold balls and West 2 since the current system went into effect. ALcoa, Sweetwater, Tyner and Webb have won from the east and Milan and Huntingdon have won from the West. Middle has won 5 during that time frame split between Goodpasture and Lipscomb. Milan has also won a 3A title during that span.

I didn't research 2A Mr. Football nominations cause I don't think it's worth the time. The guys that are generally nominated (Rogers and Turner this year are prime examples) come from high profile programs that were strong the previous year, or big time college recruits. Bolden from Tyner was another great example last year. He was probably the best player in the division but he missed most of the season with injuries. Yet he was still nominated (and won). It happens every year and this year was no exception. Weathers got a nomination because Huntingdon is the defending champ and he put up some huge numbers. No doubt Lindsey deserves the recognition but he got overshadowed by preseason publicity. You can bet at this point that a lot of voters have him Penciled in for next years ballot regardless of what happens during the 2005 season.

As far as press coverage, I don't know how much Alcoa gets cause I don't read East Tenn papers except for an occasional look at the New Sentinel and the Free Press. I don't see a lot of high school coverage in either of these so they may be in the same boat as the rural West Tenn schools. The Jackson Sun does a great job (IMO) of covering West Tenn football and usually tends to vote the teams around here higher than similar teams across the state. I think the paper in Union City also has a vote in the AP poll but I may be wrong.

As far as the game goes, I look forward to seeing Alcoa for the first time. I've heard some great things about them and know from what I've heard of their talent that they have some D-1 kids that will be on display. Huntingdon has a sophomore who has D-1 talent as well but he's probably the only Mustang who has a chance to play D-1. No doubt Alcoa has a great coaching staff and Coach Mansfield has proven his ability at Huntingdon. BOth schools have a long winnng tradition though Alcoa has more Gold balls to show off.

I have been to many a Clinic/Blue Cross bowl over the years and the unknown element of playing someone entirely knew is what adds so much to an already intense competition. I don't expect this to be any different. COngratulations to both teams for being there, and good luck to both Friday night. I hope both teams play to their full capabilities and determine the game on the field and injuries and striped jerseys don't determine the outcome.

And I must have forgotten that Alcoa has such big 'media outlets' covering us. I mean It's really pathetic that there always has to be excuses when 'your team' isn't the best, or when someone makes you look stupid.

825456233[/snapback]

TnVols23 you aqnd I sometimes differ on subjects but I am in total agreement with you on this one. Maryville and Alcoa have to share the same local rag, The Maryville Dailywhatever with Nascar, and other cut and paste sports trash. And during Football season Heritage, WB and Greenback deserve local coverage. To Knoxville's Newssential credit they have the PrepExtra section everyweek to include a informative web page. Smaller towns like Elizabethton and Morristown enjoy a great local paper that even covers the Pee-Wee and T-Ball scores!

And your' right when maryville beats a knotsville team it was because "The Call" was questionable or we used tricks to fool'em. Man welcome to my world.

Edited by FBEmeritus