Maryville vs Melrose

REBELRON

Everyone has heard a lot about the Melrose defense and deservedly so. They have only given up 55 points all year. That is impressive. But! Maryville has a great defense also. Here are some facts about Maryville's defense.

Alcoa is averaging 40 points a game. Dustin Lindsey is one of the best backs in the state in any class. Alcoa also has a good quarterback and a tight end(Brandon Warren) who will be a D1 prospect. Maryville held Warren to 1 catch and held Lindsey to 80 yds. Maryville held Alcoa's offense to 12 points. The other 6 was on a kickoff return.This is the same Alcoa team that is playing for a 2A title that blasted a very good Lipscomb team 35-14.

Knox Powell averaged 30 points a game. They have 2 offensive linemen that will go D1.They have a fullback going to Alabama. They have a tight end that will be a D1 player. They have a quarterback who is a great athlete who can hurt you passing and running. In 2 games Maryville held them to 26 points total.That is an average of 13 points a game.

Knox West averaged 30 points a game. They had one of the best tailback tandems in East Tennessee. Maryville's 1st string defense held them to 7 points.

Knox Central averaged 35 points a game. They have a tailback and a receiver that runs a 4.4 They have a quarterback that can throw and run well. They have other good skill players also.In 2 games Maryville held them to 34 total points. That is an average of 17 points a game.

Tennessee High averaged 40 points a game.They had a good stable of backs and a good quarterback. Maryville shut them out.

Maryville has good athletes on defense. Their front 7 is the most athletic I have ever seen at MHS. Jeffery Smith,Gary Tucker,Adam Cable,Josh Smith,Jon Killabrew,Justin Voto and Aaron May do a great job on the defensive front. Matt Valentine,Kat Kimsey,Adam Parnell,Tanner Caylor and Joseph Miranda do a great job at linebacker. The secondary has good athletes. Dave Garner,Andrew Clement,Steven Childs,Matt Cox,Ryan Jenkins,Kirk Harris and Tyler Maples do a great job in the secondary. Jim Gaylor does a great job with the defense. Maryville is very diciplined and tackles very well. Maryville has good team speed on defense.

There will be 2 great defenses on the field saturday.

On offense Maryville averages over 40 points a game. Cade Thompson is going to UNC for a reason. Cade is one of the best passers in the state. Cade is cool as a cucumber. He doesn't get rattled. Maryville has 4 running backs that can hurt you. Ryan Tallent,Adrian Baker,Ryan Singleton and Antonio Byner are very good. Andrew Clement,Steven Childs,Ryan Jenkins,Kirk Harris and Tyler Maples arevery good receivers. All have good speed,good hands and run precise routes. This offense wouldn't be near as good as it is without an outstanding offensive line. Besides the 2nd half of the Powell game. Maryville's offensive line has dominated every defensive front. They pass block well and run block well.

Maryville's offense is so balanced. They make you defend the whole field. Maryville has so many weapons on offense. I haven't seen a team that has stopped Maryvillle's offense.

Maryville has a good kicking game. Tayuki Koyano kicks most of his kickoffs in the end zone. He has a very strong leg. Albert Sachett is an accurate kicker but doesn't have great range. Ryan Jenkins does a great job of punting. Kickoff returns and coverages are good. Punt return and coverage is good.

I know this game will be a dogfight all the way. I don't know a lot about Melrose but I do know they always have great athletes. I know that their defense is great. With the speed they have on offense they will be a threat to score on every play. Maryville will need to play great football to beat Melrose.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebelron, I couldn't agree with you more! Maryville's defense is solid and somewhat underrated since the offense is so prolific.

I don't know much about Melrose but I view them as another Hillsboro-very talented but one-dimensional. I might be wrong, but if I am not they will struggle against the Rebels. Maryville's offense causes you to defend so much of the field that you cannot possibly prepare for everything and one slip-up and it's 6 for the Rebels.

If Maryville can limit Melrose's big plays I think they win this game by 2 TD's. Even with the big plays, Maryville wins a close one. Hillsboro had Maryville down by 12 points with a little over 8 minutes left in the 2002 title game and we all know how that one turned out.

One thing that concernes me is Melrose really has two QB's,  Wilson the RB great athlete and Madison the Sophmore starter QB.  I think I read somewhere that some Melrose fans thought Wilson was a better passer.  Haven't seen Maryville adjust to a two QB system, but I bet they can.

825457800[/snapback]

Heck man, everyone in Hillsboro's backfiled was a QB...we somehow figured that mess out. It'll come down to discipline again. That's what got Hillsboro beat twice. That's what we have over all West teams.

I'm hearin some stories on how classless some of Melrose's fans acted Friday nite. We'll see if that's true for the team too. :D