Maryville vs Melrose

REBELRON

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Artificial turf. I'm not sure if it is the newest kind or not. Can't remember. ANyone?

825458820[/snapback]

Thanks.

I've just always wanted to see Melrose play on artificial turf (A.T.), given their overall team speed...seems I'm gonna get my wish (Melrose's field is just plain ol' grass--severely worn down grass, might I add).

Anyway, since the weather forecasts calls for "partly cloudy" skies Wed thru Sat. (i.e. "fast" track) this will make for an even more intriguing matchup with Maryville!

Questions, for anyone:

1) What adjustments (shoes, schemes, etc) are often dictated, if any, when going from grass to A.T.?

2) Other than a faster surface, what other ways does A.T. tend to affect/alter a game, if at all?

Thanks,

--TraderB

Melrose plays on grass...which is severely worn down because pee wee teams play on it throughout the week. It's so soggy it's depressing actually.

They do play at Crump stadium or the Fairgrounds but that is not home games...thats against teams that do not have their own field. I am positive Melrose does not play on turf...actually I dont think any team in Shelby County does.

This is probably a stupid question...But where did that Steven Childs guy transfer from?..Someone told me..but i forgot..And just wondering if he transfered to play there or what..

825458935[/snapback]

stephen childs is from Smryna Tennessee. well every player is given turf shoes by the team, or at least that is the case for Maryville. and im not sure it really has that much affect on anything but speed, all of the other things are basically the same

One thing that concernes me is Melrose really has two QB's,  Wilson the RB great athlete and Madison the Sophmore starter QB.  I think I read somewhere that some Melrose fans thought Wilson was a better passer.  Haven't seen Maryville adjust to a two QB system, but I bet they can.

825457800[/snapback]

FYI... Melrose has two capable QB's but does NOT play a 2 QB "system"--they do NOT switch QB's, throughout the game." Madison is the starting QB. Wilson is the BACKUP QB and starting WR (not RB, btw).

Wilson played QB only ONCE, all season (to my knowledge; 35-0 win vs. Ridgeway). That was ONLY beacuse Madison was out, due to a foot ailment.

Here's the irony here: Wilson has made some big-time catches for Melrose this year but, IMO, Melrose's offense is far more POTENT with him as the QB (he reminds me of a young Steve "Air" McNair)! Yet, he prefers...rather, he INSISTS on remaining @ receiver....Let me make this crystal clear, though--Madison is, without a doubt, an effective and very DANGEROUS QB.

--TraderB

if that is true their offensive line must be pretty good to have a mr. football finalist with 4 wrs out there and no lead blocker, am i right? or have you just not played that many teams with too much defensive line tallent

825458978[/snapback]

Melrose has played vs. mediocre and talented defensive lines, alike. Melrose's OL does hold its own but, to be honest, Cooper gets a lot of his yardage on his OWN!

Cooper is very fast and shifty (like QB Madison), which makes it difficult to get a good hold on him--difficult to "wrap up." He has good field vision and changes directions on a dime. Thus, even when a defender get a bead on him, he often squirts away.

--TraderB

Their home field is natural.  Are you sure it is their home turf in the picture?  Probably played on artifical turf in Memphis for some games.

825458948[/snapback]

There *IS* no artificial turf in Memphis. There will be next year when the Liberty Bowl installs it, but there's no HS games there except for the Bridges Classic.

if that is true their offensive line must be pretty good to have a mr. football finalist with 4 wrs out there and no lead blocker, am i right? or have you just not played that many teams with too much defensive line tallent

825458978[/snapback]

He is, based on the little I've seen of him and the lot I've heard about him, but if you have an elusive back, you're better off not putting too many blockers in the area. Boise State and the University of Memphis, among others, have figured this out. If you play a spread offense, the D has to decide whether they'll defend the run or the pass. The spread also allows a decent line to produce really good results.

FYI...  Melrose has two capable QB's but does NOT play a 2 QB "system"--they do NOT switch QB's, throughout the game."  Madison is the starting QB.  Wilson is the BACKUP QB and starting WR (not RB, btw).

Wilson played QB only ONCE, all season (to my knowledge; 35-0 win vs. Ridgeway).  That was ONLY beacuse Madison was out, due to a foot ailment.

Here's the irony here:  Wilson has made some big-time catches for Melrose this year but, IMO, Melrose's offense is far more POTENT with him as the QB (he reminds me of a young Steve "Air" McNair)!  Yet, he prefers...rather, he INSISTS on remaining @ receiver....Let me make this crystal clear, though--Madison is, without a doubt, an effective and very DANGEROUS QB.

--TraderB

825459074[/snapback]

Thanks and that was my point. Now don't take this wrong, I am just discussing football in general. If I were Coach Ingram I would perhaps look at the possibility of changing up with my QB's. If Mansion is quick on his feet then he could help as a wr and stay in the game. And because of the team game concept and winning is more important than Wilson's personnel wants. You said "Yet, he prefers...rather, he INSISTS on remaining @ receiver....", Well I am sure Coach Ingram could ask/tell the kid it’s for team. Just discussing football here to beat a balanced team like Maryville a coach is going to have to think outside his box and if a team gets one dimensional, pass or run, Maryville will kill'em due the adjustments Maryville can and does make.

Naturally as a parent, supporter and student of the sport, I am for Maryville in this game. I think it will be a good one and one's heart and blood pressure should be checked prior to getting into the stadium! I hope no one gets hurt or burned on that turf. I hate the stuff. Sure increases the speed of the game but the kids are not used to it and could be badly injured on it. I really wish they would play these games at places like UT, Vandy and UT Chatt if they have real grass. The T$$AA is only concerned about not having to worry about weather and makes big money on the events.