Good time for 40 yard dash

Corrupted-Minds

I have heard that Donte Stallworth ran a 4.1 at the combines out of college and we must remember that track speed is different from football speed I am sure Stallworth could not keep up that pace in a traack meet, also we must remember that a lot of guys are dlocked at one thing in college and something different in the nfl, we must also consider wind too

825476496[/snapback]

Donte Stallworth did not go to the combines, he worked out on UT's campus for the NFL day when many NFL coaches and scouts came to UT to test only UT players. There he was timed in one 40 yard dash by 5 seperate watches that ranged 4.19-4.29. It was concluded that he ran 4.25 by the scouts who timed him.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are all smoking crack-

there in absloutely NO possible way anyone is running 4.1--- NO WAY.

The fastest man in the world (100 m olympic champ) ran his first 40 split in just under 4.3.

The physics of running and acceleration state it is impossible to accelerate to that speed in such a short distance. The biomechanics of running and acceleration limit how fast a person can get to top speed.

4.1 forties-- only if they are flying forties.....

If you want to see some fast forty times at the combine take a look at this website.

http://www.parisischool.com/NFL_Combine_Training.html

These people get paid to make top notch college atheletes faster for the NFL scouts, so they are not going to lie about the times recorded at the combine.

Fastest time I saw on this site is a 4.30 forty.(Triandos Luke (Alabama)2004 combine)

So, high school players that run a 4.3 forty are few and far between( if they exist at all). Even running a 4.4 in high school is almost impossible.

Just look at the facts.

reggie white a 300 + pound guy running a 4.3? yea right...no way in heck reggie white ran i 4.3......the fastest man in the world ran barely under a 4.3.....and he prolly didn't  weigh over  160.....no way reggie white ran a 4.3. Period

On anothernote.....a good 40-time for a reciver would be a sub 4.5. if your a reciver that's over 6 foot tall and run under a 4.4 you can pick your collage (sp).

825469779[/snapback]

I have heard on many occasions that Dwight Freeney(defensive end for the colts). Can run under 4.5 and is believed to be the fastest of all the defensive linemen. He is around 250 and is considered to be a speed rusher. I think thats about the limit to what a d-lineman can run. Reggie I am sure was fast, but 4.3 is definatley a stretch to me, for one because his body type looks nothing like that of the speed rushers of today like Jevon Kearse, Dwight Freeney, Carlos Hall, and Jason Taylor.

I think he was more of a bruiser, but I am sure he had speed because he is probably the greatest d-lineman of all time.

you are all smoking crack-

there in absloutely NO possible way anyone is running 4.1--- NO WAY.

The fastest man in the world (100 m olympic champ) ran his first 40 split in just under 4.3.

The physics of running and acceleration state it is impossible to accelerate to that speed in such a short distance. The biomechanics of running and acceleration limit how fast a person can get to top speed.

4.1 forties-- only if they are flying forties.....

825476692[/snapback]

So you are saying we are crackheads because we are just stating what somon said, we didnt say we were the ones who clocked stallworth and white and other players we are just stating what we heard trying to contribute to the threads thats all, I played and coached basketball were we could care less about someones forty time

like I said earlier 4.3 is considered world class speed by definition. People want to say that track and football don't have anything to do with one another, so all comparisons to track are irrelevant. That's not true. 40 yards is 40 yards. You could actually argue that running a 40 yard dash on the track would yeild a faster time, which is not consistant with what some people are claiming here. If a really fast person were to already be running when the watch started at 40 yards, it would still be VERY unlikely they would reach 4.1 seconds.

As a former HS coach and College player ill tell you. 4.5 40's are good for any position in Highschool and a TRUE 4.5 is even better. I would guess the average college prospect lineman (250 + pounds) is going to run in the 4.8 -5.05) of course there will be better times and worse times than that. The average college prospect at reciever, rb, db, and lb All grouped the same cause regardless of size will be about the same will range from 4.5 to 4.6 obviously some will be faster and some will be slower. As far as Highschool kids running sub 4.5 40's (legit) i havent seen it. (coached a rb who also won GA 5a 100 m in track and he only ran a 4.52 40.

As 40 times go, in general they are considered a tool to evaluate players speed. BUT it is not always a good tool. How many times have you ever seen a lineman run 40 yards straight in a game. or for that much how often does a rb break a 40+yard run. There are many things that a college coach looks at besides 40 time. I will admit that 40 time does catch their eye, but only if its extreem. such as a 4.3 or a 5.6.

just out of curiosity, who knows what Jerry Rices' or steve largent's was?

http://pages.prodigy.net/seangates31/RiceFacts.htm

Edited by bdog3741

Stallworth's time in the 40 is legit, he ran b/w a 4.1 and 4.3 on five different timers. Why do you think he shot up in his draft status. Also, in HS football, a 4.5 or a 4.4 is not that hard to achieve with hard work. I know of two RB's at Antioch high school, LaMarcus Coker and Preston Brown who run a 4.3, and a 4.41 respectively. Is that for real, yes, that is why Coker is one of the most highly rated recruits, and Brown is not far behind.