Speed Training?

Corrupted-Minds

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any good techniques on improving my 40 yard dash?

I heard ankle weights would work pretty well, is this true and if so how much weight do I need and what kinda exercises should I do?

825471427[/snapback]

Ankle weights are BAD! that is the best way to tear up your ankles and knees.

Best bet is to find a CSCS who can help you work on your running form and give you exercises to help strengthen your CORE. To be fast you will need strong quads, hammies, glutes and abs.

Exercises like lunges, squats, and rotational ab work will help you to get faster.

Running the stadium, hills, and jumping exercises (plyos) help build explosiveness.

Find a strength coach, spend the $ to be trained the right, safe way. The pay-off will be well worth it, I assure you.

Ankle weights are BAD! that is the best way to tear up your ankles and knees.

Best bet is to find a CSCS who can help you work on your running form and give you exercises to help strengthen your CORE. To be fast you will need strong quads, hammies, glutes and abs.

Exercises like lunges, squats, and rotational ab work will help you to get faster.

Running the stadium, hills, and jumping exercises (plyos) help build explosiveness.

Find a strength coach, spend the $ to be trained the right, safe way. The pay-off will be well worth it, I assure you.

825476698[/snapback]

i agree from what i understand about getting faster form is a major factor. if u run with correct form that can take a tenth or 2 off your forty

i run the 100m 200m and the 400m

100m 13.5s

200m 25.3s

400m 55.3s

on my personal bests for track

my 40 time is 4.7

825476283[/snapback]

you should try moving up in distance. You're not very fast at those distances. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way at all. If you could run 2:00 for the 800m you could win 90% of the races you run in TN.

ok, the best thing to do.. well, this is a new study that our government is funding... its not fully done yet, but they say it works really really good....

u just sit on your couch and eat some potato chips and the most important part, r u listening... the most important part is.... (drum roll)...... you do it all day long!!!

:D

825475726[/snapback]

This has to be the most stupid thing you have ever posted, and that is saying something (Ihave read your basketball posts).

Maybe try plyos and running a latter to help footwork and stairs to help calves.

Increasing top end speed is almost impossible. You can increase it a little but it is mostly genetic. What you can increase is your power. This is the first 10 yds to 20 yds of the sprint. Three ways to improve.

1.) Technique- start, stance, running form (need to work with someone who can demonstrate)

2. Flexibility- This is something most people forget about. Partner stretch. A partner will help you stretch futher. To increase speed, you need to sprint often. To get better at something you have to practice at it. Sprint down hill to increase stride length and speed. Sprint uphill to increase power.

3.) Strength- Parallel Squats= Extremely important you get parallel, speed comes from your upper hamstring and glute. The last 2-3 inches of a squat works that area and is very important.

Lunges= Works on hamsting strength and flexibility

Straight Leg Dead Lifts= Hamsting Flexibility

Anymore Questions?